Corel Photopaint

Old March 17th 19, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Corel Photopaint

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 00:20:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Paint Shop Pro was a good image program. More straightforward with key
image functions than Photo Shop.

One I remember was when filling a page with photographs of various
sizes all you had to do was open a blank page and drag and drop image
files on the page. They would open on the page and could be variously
sized and arranged to suit. I did whole albums that way. Very quick
You still can't do that in PS.

that can be done in photoshop, with each photo in a different layer.

As far as I know, you can't drag and drop them. You have to open them
and then copy them. Only once you have done that can you paste them in
the page.

false. drag/drop works perfectly fine.

You are right. The first time I tried it, it didn't work and I haven't
tried it since.

then you did something wrong, and as usual, blamed the tools rather
than anything you did.

Nevertheless, while I can drag an image around with
the cursor, and resize it from its initial dimensions, once I have
dropped it (clicked tick) I still cannot resize the image with the the
cursor.

then you're doing something wrong.

It's now nearly as good as Paintshop Pro but it hasn't quite
got there yet.

photoshop was never intended to be a page layout app, ...

Maybe that's the reason it is not as quick and easy to do these things
with Photoshop.

... nor are other image editors.

Which should not be construed as meaning _all_ other image editors.

try indesign, pages or many other options, which *were* designed for
page layout.

pick the best tool for the job.

Paintshop Pro is quite a good one.

Eric Stevens
Old March 17th 19, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 3/17/2019 12:19 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 23:08:12 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:12:28 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:37:58 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Paint Shop Pro was a good image program. More straightforward with key
image functions than Photo Shop.

One I remember was when filling a page with photographs of various
sizes all you had to do was open a blank page and drag and drop image
files on the page. They would open on the page and could be variously
sized and arranged to suit. I did whole albums that way. Very quick
You still can't do that in PS.

that can be done in photoshop, with each photo in a different layer.

As far as I know, you can't drag and drop them. You have to open them
and then copy them. Only once you have done that can you paste them in
the page.

I have an old version of CorelDraw, and that's the only thing I use if
for. I haven't tried drag and drop, but bring in .jpgs using
"Import". The imported .jpg can be resized and placed. If an
over-lapping style for several photos is used, each can be placed
partially over or partially under another image. It's easy to make a
collage of several images. Text can be added.

Agreed - its quick and easy. I tried to post the following before but
Dropbox wouldn't show it. Maybe the A3 size gave it indigestion?
Nevertheless you might like to download it and look at it. Its an
album cover collage made from several different maps shots (not all
to quite the same scale on the image) with thumbnails showing where
various photographs in the album were taken.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dytwggjin...Cover.jpg?dl=0

The same thing can be done in PS, but it's much easier in CorelDraw.

Constructing the album cover would still be much more
clumsy/tedious/troublesome in Photoshop. Getting the scales of the map
sections to match would be particularly difficult.

Inkscape (free) is also a vector program that works about the same,
but I haven't worked with it. I needed an .svg file once, so I
downloaded it.

These are comparisons of the wrong apps, so the layout tasks being
described are also incomparable. Paint is roughly equivalent to
Photoshop, both work with bitmap images and neither are intended for
layout. CorelDraw is roughly equivalent to Adobe Illustrator, both are
vector-based apps that can adjust position and size of bitmap images
placed on their pages for print layouts.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old March 17th 19, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's now nearly as good as Paintshop Pro but it hasn't quite
got there yet.

photoshop was never intended to be a page layout app, ...

Maybe that's the reason it is not as quick and easy to do these things
with Photoshop.

or any other image editor.

... nor are other image editors.

Which should not be construed as meaning _all_ other image editors.

image editors are designed to be image editors, not page layout apps.

that doesn't mean they can't be made to do page layout, but they are
far from ideal.

try indesign, pages or many other options, which *were* designed for
page layout.

pick the best tool for the job.

Paintshop Pro is quite a good one.

not for page layout, it isn't.
Old March 17th 19, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

The same thing can be done in PS, but it's much easier in CorelDraw.

Constructing the album cover would still be much more
clumsy/tedious/troublesome in Photoshop. Getting the scales of the map
sections to match would be particularly difficult.

Inkscape (free) is also a vector program that works about the same,
but I haven't worked with it. I needed an .svg file once, so I
downloaded it.

These are comparisons of the wrong apps, so the layout tasks being
described are also incomparable. Paint is roughly equivalent to
Photoshop, both work with bitmap images and neither are intended for
layout.

true, but it can still be done to a limited extent.

CorelDraw is roughly equivalent to Adobe Illustrator, both are
vector-based apps that can adjust position and size of bitmap images
placed on their pages for print layouts.

as can photoshop, however, they aren't designed for page layout.
Old March 17th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:37:58 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I wasn't comparing CorelDraw to Photo-Paint. I was commenting on how
I use CorelDraw. The Corel Graphics Suite that I have has each in
separate modules, but I've never used the Photo-Paint module.

"Paint" is "Microsoft Paint" and has come with Windows since 1985. It
is not at all even roughly comparable to PS. I haven't bothered to
look it up, but I think it's no longer automatically included, but can
be added at the Microsoft Store.

Too many "Paint"s: Photo-Paint, PaintShop Pro, Paint, Painter...and
probably more.

The last time I used anything except PS/LR for image editing was when
the best thing available was JASC's program. That was the first of
what is now Corel's PaintShop Pro versions. The original JASC app was
simple and free.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 17th 19, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:37:58 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

This sub-thread started with RichA writing "Paint Shop Pro was a good
image program. More straightforward with key image functions than
Photo Shop." I responded and all this has followed. Whhether or not
what I have described is a key image function is another matter.
Certainly I have found it so. In any case it contains an example of
how Paintshop Pro can be easier to work with than Photoshop. It
extends to other areas too.

Eric Stevens
Old March 18th 19, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 3/16/2019 6:17 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 07:47:30 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Saturday, 16 March 2019 06:58:41 UTC-4, RJH wrote:
Room for this:

https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/photo-paint/

in anyone's life?!

I remember the Corel Suite from the 90s on Windows - quite capable IIRC.

--
Cheers, Rob

Paint Shop Pro was a good image program. More straightforward with key image functions than Photo Shop.

One I remember was when filling a page with photographs of various
sizes all you had to do was open a blank page and drag and drop image
files on the page. They would open on the page and could be variously
sized and arranged to suit. I did whole albums that way. Very quick
You still can't do that in PS.

I would show examples but Dropbox seems to balk at my A3 JPGs.

All done in PS. There may be other programs that will do it, but it worked.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpr1w0618obffd5/museum%20Dahlias.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN

Corel PeterN[_4_] Digital Photography 23 May 6th 14 11:48 PM
Paintshop and Corel Eric Stevens Digital Photography 259 December 5th 13 04:38 PM
Corel Designori. Digital Photography 0 April 9th 05 06:21 PM
Switching colour channels PhotoPaint 11 Ian Roberts Digital Photography 0 December 25th 04 10:42 AM
Photopaint vs Paint Shop Pro Gary Eickmeier Digital Photography 28 November 23rd 04 09:57 PM