Rip off UK prices

Old August 22nd 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Clive[_2_]

Default Rip off UK prices

Canon 40D Body only on Amazon.co.uk £899.

On Amazon.com - $1300

I make that an exchange rate of 1.44 - ????

--

Clive

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take..... but by the moments that take our breath away.
Old August 22nd 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Clive wrote:
Canon 40D Body only on Amazon.co.uk £899.

On Amazon.com - $1300

I make that an exchange rate of 1.44 - ????

899 less 17.5 per cent VAT = 765

765 x 2 = 1530

Actual price in Britain is 17.7 per cent higher than USA

That 17 per cent too much difference but not the extreme which many assume

David
Old August 22nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 22, 12:14 pm, Clive wrote:
Canon 40D Body only on Amazon.co.uk £899.

On Amazon.com - $1300

I make that an exchange rate of 1.44 - ????

--

Clive

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take..... but by the moments that take our breath away.

Euros like be financially raped by their retailers, government, etc.
Gives them some kind of thrill.

Old August 22nd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"Clive" wrote in message
. ..
Canon 40D Body only on Amazon.co.uk £899.

On Amazon.com - $1300

I make that an exchange rate of 1.44 - ????

--

Clive

well, the obvious thing to do is buy one from overseas, but then we will
face customs charge, an import charge, a 'what the **** do you thing your'e
doing by overseas cos its cheaper ' charge and the post office's ' if
everyone is screwing you for money we want some action too' charge.

so much for international e-commerce.

Old August 22nd 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adagio

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:20:47 +0100, David Kilpatrick
wrote:

Clive wrote:
Canon 40D Body only on Amazon.co.uk £899.

On Amazon.com - $1300

I make that an exchange rate of 1.44 - ????

899 less 17.5 per cent VAT = 765

765 x 2 = 1530

Actual price in Britain is 17.7 per cent higher than USA

That 17 per cent too much difference but not the extreme which many assume

David

You have chosen a bad example since I believe that the 40D is not yet
released in the UK hence no competitive forces in play. In addition
sales tax may be charged on the $US price (see amazon.com T&C)
Old August 22nd 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Prometheus

In article , Tony Gartshore
writes
In article ,
says...

Actual price in Britain is 17.7 per cent higher than USA

That 17 per cent too much difference but not the extreme which many assume

David

You have chosen a bad example since I believe that the 40D is not yet
released in the UK hence no competitive forces in play. In addition
sales tax may be charged on the $US price (see amazon.com T&C)

A more reasonable comparison might be between the stated list prices on
Canon's UK and Australian sites...

£900 UK

Which is about 767 GBP before VAT (17.5%)

and $Au 1999 Aus. Which according to XE.com is £808.

Which is about 735 GBP before GST (10%).

This is a difference of 31 GBP, some of which could be attributed to
lower shipping costs to a closer country. There are undoubtedly other
factors which make the retailer's overheads different, but "rip of UK"
it is not. Perhaps if everybody had to have two low paid jobs in order
to more than just stay alive retailers could charge. Getting rid of the
NHS and benefits would also allow prices to be lower.

--
Ian G8ILZ
There are always two people in every pictu the photographer and the viewer.
Old August 22nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , Tony Gartshore
writes
In article ,
says...

[...]

"Rip-Off Britain it is NOT"???

we are talking cameras here, but what about DVDs, "White goods", Cars, video
games,books, grocery items etc??

Britain is one of the most expensive countries in terms of cost of living
and the stingiest when it comes to salary. No wonder no one has a disposable
income.

Old August 22nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PHH699

"Clive" wrote in message
. ..
Canon 40D Body only on Amazon.co.uk £899.

On Amazon.com - $1300

I make that an exchange rate of 1.44 - ????

The prices quoted are "list prices", it may be that different markets expect
to discount more off the list price. As others have said, wait until the
product is on the market before making a comparison.

If you take the Canon 30D at both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, the price
comparison is as follows:

UK price £616, deduct VAT and the price net of sales tax is £524.

US price $978 which at an exchange rate of $1.98 = £1 is equivalent to £494

Giving a price on Amazon.co.uk (net of tax) of 6% greater than the
Amazon.com price.

Hardly a rip-off and undoubtedly there are cheaper suppliers in the UK and
the US to make further comparisons.

Now if you want to make comparisons or complain about the level of sales
tax/ VAT and other taxes that is another issue.

Old August 23rd 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...

Euros like be financially raped by their retailers, government, etc.
Gives them some kind of thrill.

And if you were in any doubt that RichA is a trolling prick ...