CS3 raw update

Old June 8th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Default CS3 raw update

Just letting people know there is a camera raw update for
CS3 and it is support Nikon D40X files.

Now.....since I also have Capture NX - any thoughts on which
would be better to use?

Louise.
Old June 8th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nsag

As to which would be "better" the answer is clearly Photoshop because it can
do infinitely more than NX. However for what it does NX may work better for
you.
NX and the Adobe converter work by different paradigms.
You can achieve the same image at the end of the process but you get there
in different ways.
The control points in NX, if used judiciously, allow for manipulation of
specific regions in the image in ways that would require use of layers and
masks in Adobe. NX also allows for initial use of a level control to lop off
dead space at either end of the histogram which, amazingly, is not a
straight forward proposition in the Adobe converter.
If the control points are over-used they can make the image look
un-photographic, kind of like a roto gravure print, or add noise. The
multiple controls in the new Adobe converter can wreak similar havoc.
I kind of like NX and tend to use it as the initial raw converter and then
transfer the image to CS3 for things NX cannot do or for printing. Some
images are easier to process with the Adobe converter.
Experiment.

Old June 10th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

nsag wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I have been playing around and it is a mixed
blessing to have both programs now able to process the raw
files. I find myself obsessing about when I should move
from NX to PS :-)

Meanwhile, could you explain what you mean when you say "NX
allows for initial use of a level control to lop off dead
space at either end of the histogram". How do you do this
and what are the results? I didn't know about it although I
could see that different things I did, especially using
d-lighting had an effect upon the histogram.

BTW, what do you make of d-lighting? I often seem to use it
instead of fiddling with shadow/highlight.

Louise