Need Help With Contest

Old July 14th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Need Help With Contest

Hello, my name is Toni and I am from New Bern, NC. I entered a photo
contest with Hewlett-Packard and Snapfish. I recently found out that
I made it in the finals. I am wanting to pursue a career in
photography and winning this contest would be a great opportunity for
me. I hope you will take the time to vote for my picture. Any
feedback about the photo would also be appreciated. I would like some
opinions about the photo to help improve my photography. I used a
Canon PowerShot S40, which I hope to upgrade, if I win. Thank you
for your support and for helping a stranger.

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsinglevo...a=95171618(cut
and paste)

The main contest page is:
http://www.snapfish.com/viewentries/...ily+Ever+After
My photo is black and white with feet. Photo name: This little
piggy...

You do not have to sign up or sign in. There is a pop-up window with
a security code that needs to be entered. I guess this is to prevent
cheating. If you use a pop-up blocker, you will not be able to vote,
but you will still be able to see the photo.

Thanks again for taking the time to vote.

If I have offended anyone, or if this is not an appropriate post,
please accept my sincere apology. My intent is just to ask a favor.

Old July 14th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:
Hello, my name is Toni and I am from New Bern, NC. I entered a photo
contest with Hewlett-Packard and Snapfish. I recently found out that
I made it in the finals.

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsinglevo...a=95171618(cut
and paste)

1) Learn to post links properly.

2) The photo is somewhat ordinary, and not an original
theme/composition, although the technical approach is good.

3) I did not vote on it.

I do suggest you browse the first 1000 photos in "top photographers" of
photo.net to get an idea of what very good amateurs and pros are producing.

http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/filter

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 14th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Alan Browne wrote:
wrote:
Hello, my name is Toni and I am from New Bern, NC. I entered a photo
contest with Hewlett-Packard and Snapfish. I recently found out that
I made it in the finals.

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsinglevo...a=95171618(cut

and paste)

1) Learn to post links properly.

2) The photo is somewhat ordinary, and not an original
theme/composition, although the technical approach is good.

3) I did not vote on it.

I do suggest you browse the first 1000 photos in "top photographers" of
photo.net to get an idea of what very good amateurs and pros are producing.

http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/filter

Cheers,
Alan

I judged it compared to the other entries - that made it
stand out. On it's own, as another poster said, the photo
isn't "that" orginal. But it is very well done and far
superior to the other entries which are all the equivalent
of home movies, as I see them.

So, I did vote for it!

I have a request: how exactly did you do it? I'd like to
learn.

Thanks. If you want to email directly:

louise250 at nyc dot rr dot com

Louise
Old July 15th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles[_2_]

Snapfisherror is all I get! Sorry.

Old July 15th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:30:11 -0400, louise wrote:

I judged it compared to the other entries - that made it
stand out. On it's own, as another poster said, the photo
isn't "that" orginal. But it is very well done and far
superior to the other entries which are all the equivalent
of home movies, as I see them.

So, I did vote for it!

Uh, so did I, and for the same reasons. I was surprised by
the dismally low average score most of the entries had, not that
they weren't earned. I didn't bother to see if there was an
explanation for how the scores were tabulated, but I hope each
person's score is a function only of votes for their own pictures.