airplane travel and my brand new dslr

Old June 12th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Default airplane travel and my brand new dslr

On 2007-06-03 10:21:45 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
said:

In article , louise
wrote:

Next question is about carry-on. I can't see being able to
carry all this onto the plane with the new regulations. Is
there a case which is considered "baggage proof" into which
I could put my camera and lens that I could put on with my
other baggage?
If you put your computer or camera in checked luggage, expect to never
see either again.

And yet, professional photographers manage to load several cases of
photographic and lighting equipment onto planes all the time, expecting it
to arrive at their destination.

I have never lost anything out of checked luggage, and I travel
frequently, all over the world. I have had items stolen from my hotel room
in Rome, however, and my pocket picked in the Philippines. I have
relatives who have had things stolen out of their carry-on bags. But never
have I had anything stolen out of checked luggage.

The UK will not allow any electronic equipment in your carry-on, not even
an iPod. So you if fly out of there you have to check your laptop.

The question is one of risk management. Keep everything backed up all the
time. Keep your confidential data encrypted and your computer password
protected. Insure against any loss that you are not prepared to absorb
yourself. Lock everything, including your carry-on.

I can't guarantee that you will not have checked luggage items stolen.
Nobody can. But I can't guarantee that you won't lose a carry-on item,
either. Pickpockets and cutpurses abound.

Perhaps the airport you're departing from makes a difference. Kennedy
Airport is notorious for getting your checked items stolen. The mob runs a
huge fencing operation out of there. My sister was royally ripped-off, a
lot of her items never left the airport.

Worry to hear that, Peter. The items did leave JFK, however, probably in
several of the ubiquitous white/gray vans.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 12th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

John McWilliams wrote:
Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

Perhaps the airport you're departing from makes a difference. Kennedy
Airport is notorious for getting your checked items stolen. The mob
runs a huge fencing operation out of there. My sister was royally
ripped-off, a lot of her items never left the airport.

Worry to hear that, Peter. The items did leave JFK, however, probably in
several of the ubiquitous white/gray vans.

Typo. Meant to say "Sorry".
Old June 12th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

kombizz via PhotoKB.com wrote:
Do NOT worry.
Simply you could go to an internet cafe shop and burn your entire images
either in CDR or DVDR discs.
This is the way that I ALWAYS use it whenever I go to abroad.
good luck

I was originally thinking of getting a small portable usb
dual layer DVD burner rather than hard drives. But then I
thought of the fragility of the discs if they get thrown
around - crushed.

I also thought my family might shoot me if I spent every
evening burning DVDs and every day shooting pictures :-)

Louise
Old June 12th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Rod wrote:
kombizz via PhotoKB.com wrote:
Do NOT worry.
Simply you could go to an internet cafe shop and burn your entire images
either in CDR or DVDR discs.
This is the way that I ALWAYS use it whenever I go to abroad.
good luck

That sounds like a good way to go. I have Canon equipment that uses
Compact Flash cards. I don't know what Nikon uses. 2 gig cards for $30.
I can get about 230 RAW files on one two gig card. Four of these is over
900 pictures. I don't know how many pictures you plan on taking but it
sure is a time saving way to go.

Nikon is using SD cards and I have 4 gigs (two 2 gig cards).
I have been known to go thorugh 2 gigs and traveling, I
wouldn't be surprised if I did 4 gigs in a day.

That's a lot of DVD burning isn't it?

Louise
Old June 12th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:36:36 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

Worry to hear that, Peter. The items did leave JFK, however, probably in
several of the ubiquitous white/gray vans.

Typo. Meant to say "Sorry".

Not to worry, we knew . . .

Old June 12th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Søren Reinke

nospam wrote:

except the flaw in that argument is that there are systems with
substantially smaller market share than the macintosh yet they have
quite a few viruses, such as the amiga.

http://www.vht-dk.dk/vhtdk/amiga/desc/all.htm

First of all there is no flaw in his statement.

The Amiga OS, is VERY VERY old, and therefore can not be compared to
state of the art OS'es.

it is harder to write an effective os x virus, and at this time, there
are no os x viruses running rampant in the wild. there are some proof
of concepts which generally asked for administrator privileges to be
installed and have pretty much all been patched already anyway.
perhaps one day there will be one that spreads and does some damage,
but so far, there aren't any.

Now that you use a VERY old OS as argument (by the way the amiga had a
HUGE market share at that time, possibly bigger than the Mac ever had
and will ever get).

The OLD Mac's had plenty of virus'es themself.

So please, when you wanne discuss virusses please get your facts straight.

p.s. You are absolutly correct, i don't use Mac, i have a Vista Ultimate
PC, and i never had a single virus on it :-)

/Søren
Old June 12th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Meissner

louise writes:

Rod wrote:
kombizz via PhotoKB.com wrote:
Do NOT worry.
Simply you could go to an internet cafe shop and burn your entire images
either in CDR or DVDR discs.
This is the way that I ALWAYS use it whenever I go to abroad.
good luck

That sounds like a good way to go. I have Canon equipment that uses Compact
Flash cards. I don't know what Nikon uses. 2 gig cards for $30. I can get
about 230 RAW files on one two gig card. Four of these is over 900
pictures. I don't know how many pictures you plan on taking but it sure is a
time saving way to go.

Nikon is using SD cards and I have 4 gigs (two 2 gig cards). I have been known
to go thorugh 2 gigs and traveling, I wouldn't be surprised if I did 4 gigs in
a day.

That's a lot of DVD burning isn't it?

No, its one disk, since a DVD holds 4.7GB. I don't have one of these devices,
but figure about 15 minutes to make a disk.

No matter what system you use, if your data is only in one location, sooner or
later it will be lost.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old June 12th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

On 2007-06-03 10:21:45 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
said:

In article , louise
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it sure was sorry. She was moving from NYC to London. A lot of
valuable items were packed. Some items you can say should never have been
pack - liked some jewelry and small electronic items - but they were and
they never made it out of NY. She learned a valuable lesson. She made out
better - my brother-in-law replaced her stolen Raymond Weil watch with a
Rolex.

I'll be traveling to Milan in four weeks out of JFK. My wife and I will
each be carrying on our two DSLRs. There is no way I'd ever check those in.
I'd rather stay home.

Old June 13th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-06-11 21:30:28 -0700, "Marc Sabatella" said:

If you mean computer types, use a Mac: virtually, almost completely,
positively so far, virus free.

It always seem to me that there is a bit of irony inherent in this sort
of comment. People are often saying, in effect, "Macs are better
because they don't get viruses - therefore, you should get a Mac".
Well, if a lot more people took that advice, there would be a lot more
Macs out there, and suddenly you'd start seeing more Mac viruses
springing up, because the losers who write these things would start
realizing they could harm as many people by writing a Mac virus as they
currently can by writing a PC virus. Really, the main reason there
aren't more Mac viruses is that there is relatively little "market" for
them...

The market share argument does not hold up. There are regular contests
with cash rewards for people who attempt to write viruses for Macs.
They have been unsuccessful unless the Macs are crippled in some way.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 14th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:24:48 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

The market share argument does not hold up. There are regular contests
with cash rewards for people who attempt to write viruses for Macs.
They have been unsuccessful unless the Macs are crippled in some way.

Personally, I wonder why the word "virus" is used (well, really, I
don't wonder at all), when "malware" would be a much better word to
use.
When "malware" is used, your statement falls by the wayside.
Viruses are only one segment of malware.

Paris Hilton called Barbara Walters from prison
Monday to say she is giving up her dumb act.
The heiress said she's not the ditzy character
she plays in public. She said while in prison
she found God, but was baffled as to why God
was in prison.