airplane travel and my brand new dslr

Old June 4th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default airplane travel and my brand new dslr

Paul Furman wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:

...While it doesn't happen
that often, it is not unknown for high end checked gear to get stolen. I
believe the airlines have a little clause that they will not be
responsible if
you check cameras or laptops specifically.

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip.

They searched my bag again on the way home... both were slow days at the
airports (SFO & PHX)... black soft synthetic carpenter's bag with a row
of yellow pockets outside for tools, a 300/2.8 & 70-200/2.8, tripod,
lots of computer wires & plugs.
Old June 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

King Sardon wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:27:43 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
wrote:

King Sardon wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:08:33 -0400, M-M wrote:

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a
lock would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

They would cut the lock.

There are approved locks that you can use... they can be opened by the
security folks without damaging them. We use them; in one case they
searched the bag, left a note inside, and relocked it. Works great.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/luggage-lock-tsa.html

That's still no guarantee that someone won't steal the bag lock and
all.

Or have the master key. I can't imagine that none have been
"mislaid" by now.

I don't think there is just one master key; there are quite a few. But
really, these locks are not intended to afford a high level of
security. They do provide a barrier to the casual thief who might want
to just have a browse through a bunch of bags to see what's there.

For the 6 bucks or so that they cost, they are worthwhile IMHO.

Probably. But I still worry about what happens to the bags
when they are out of my sight. Even if I trusted the Homeland
Security droids, the baggage handlers still get to handle the
baggage.

If I was forced to do something, I'd prefer to gate check a bag
since there is then much less time for someone to "explore" what
is in it. On the other hand, gate checked bags are more likely
to reward exploration.

This is a diffcult to solve problem that the airlines really
need to address.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old June 5th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nanook

I have read that you have the right to be present when your bag is
searched by TSA and then lock it with a lock of your choosing after
the search. They place a sticker or something on the bag indicating
that it has been searched.

Old June 5th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

nanook wrote:

I have read that you have the right to be present when your bag is
searched by TSA and then lock it with a lock of your choosing after
the search. They place a sticker or something on the bag indicating
that it has been searched.

They do give it a sticker and that sounds like the way to go if you are
worried... probably means showing up another hour earlier though. But as
has been said, it's possible someone else along the line could simply
steal the whole bag if it was a big fancy looking hard case. I sent a
couple hundred dollars cash fedex once and it was stolen. There was no
recourse... I had a tracking number & could see which city it went
through last before it dissapeared but not who stole it.

Old June 5th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

nanook wrote:
I have read that you have the right to be present when your bag is
searched by TSA and then lock it with a lock of your choosing after
the search. They place a sticker or something on the bag indicating
that it has been searched.

That may be, but I'd hate to assert that right at,
for example, LaGuardia Airport with a zillion people
and bags waiting for attention...

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old June 5th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Meissner

nanook writes:

I have read that you have the right to be present when your bag is
searched by TSA and then lock it with a lock of your choosing after
the search. They place a sticker or something on the bag indicating
that it has been searched.

Even if they do, there is nothing to stop the bag from being rerouted to
another airport or from being intercepted before it gets out to the public.
Heck in many airports there is nobody checking to make sure you picked up the
right bag. TSA locks are just security theater:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old June 5th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

louise wrote:

My concern was not in getting them - I can get them from Newegg. My
concern was that they seem to have a rather notable failure rate
according to the reviews at Newegg.

I use Seagate USB drives, lately I've been buying
160 GB drives, including one I took to Africa in January.
I have never had a problem with one, and I have
about a dozen USB drives (started with small ~60GB,
then 100, now 160 GB).

Roger
Old June 5th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_2_]

louise wrote:

My concern was not in getting them - I can get them from Newegg. My
concern was that they seem to have a rather notable failure rate
according to the reviews at Newegg.

I use Seagate USB drives, lately I've been buying
160 GB drives, including one I took to Africa in January.
I have never had a problem with one, and I have
about a dozen USB drives (started with small ~60GB,
then 100, now 160 GB).

Roger

Roger,

It may be that the problem reports come from folk who are using them as a
substitute for an internal hard disk, and hammering them 24 hours a day.
The cooling, for one thing, may not be up to that sort of usage pattern.

Cheers,
David

Old June 6th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

louise wrote:

My concern was not in getting them - I can get them from Newegg. My
concern was that they seem to have a rather notable failure rate
according to the reviews at Newegg.

I use Seagate USB drives, lately I've been buying
160 GB drives, including one I took to Africa in January.
I have never had a problem with one, and I have
about a dozen USB drives (started with small ~60GB,
then 100, now 160 GB).

Roger

The seagates seem to be a lot larger than the WD Passports.
Are they?

Thanks.

Louise
Old June 9th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
eddie rukidding

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:28:59 -0700, (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

louise wrote:

I will be taking a trip to Japan and will need to carry a
portable computer, several bottles of different medications
since one now has to have the pills in the bottle, and
clothing and such for a few weeks.

Additionally, I want to take my new Nikon D40X and my new
55-200 VR Nikon lens. I have two questions:

The hard drive on my portable will not be able to hold all
the RAW photos I'll shoot. I have a very small and light
Thinkpad which has no built in writable drive and just a
couple of usb ports and a relatively small hard drive.
Uploading from Japan to a server in NY will be very slow if
not impossible. What would be the best method of
transferring the raw files from my SD disks onto a different
media?

Next question is about carry-on. I can't see being able to
carry all this onto the plane with the new regulations. Is
there a case which is considered "baggage proof" into which
I could put my camera and lens that I could put on with my
other baggage?

I'd never check my camera gear. In fact, if I can help it, I don't check
anything and just carry two carry-ons.

I have the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650, which is a little too humongous
for my gear, but it was the only thing I could find on short notice, and
has been very useful ever since. It counts as a carry-on. It can hold
the laptop, too.

Here's a review: http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1614.htm

Added thoughts -

When packed, the 650 will not fit under a seat in the US. The Stealth
550, one step down in size, will MOST of the time. If the aircraft
designers saw fit to attach something to the bottom of the seat in
front of you, no go.

When loaded, my 550 (dslr, 2 lenses, laptop and need camera acc.) is
heavy and not fun to carry for longer lengths of time but does allow
me carry on a weeks worth of cloths and photo equipment to enjoy my
hobby on business trips. It's designed to slip over the handle of a
roller suitcase for easier transport.