airplane travel and my brand new dslr

Old June 3rd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Default airplane travel and my brand new dslr

David J Taylor wrote:
louise wrote:
[]
I'll look at thinktankphoto as well.

Louise

Louise, we have an earlier version of this Epson storage/viewer:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...p3000p5000.asp

which has a great slide-show feature (and an excellent screen) so that you
can share pictures with friends while still on your trip.

Cheers,
David

That looks very cool - but more expensive than I'm prepared
to spend. I don't travel that often.

Louise
Old June 3rd 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Bob
Salomon wrote:

They won't destroy a TSA approved lock. Only TSA has the key and there
is only one set of keys per security station at each airport. Each key
is numbered and is checked in and out with each TSA shift change. A TSA
approved lock is $10.00 to $12.00 at better luggage stores. It will pass
through the holes in the zipper pulls to lock the bag. Some TSA locks
have a window that changes color whenever the key is used.

sometimes the tsa can't be bothered to find the key and will cut off
their own locks, according to posts over at flyertalk.com.
Old June 3rd 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

MarkČ wrote:
louise wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
louise wrote:
..
The hard drive on my portable will not be able to hold all
the RAW photos I'll shoot. I have a very small and light
Thinkpad which has no built in writable drive and just a
couple of usb ports and a relatively small hard drive.
Uploading from Japan to a server in NY will be very slow if
not impossible. What would be the best method of
transferring the raw files from my SD disks onto a different
media?

I suggest that you learn to use the delete button. Digital has
allowed us to become rather sloppy and get away with it. People take
50 photos of a single subject. There may be 3 really good ones and
40 that are dups or poor quality images. For some reason people
just can't bring them selves to say, hey that one is ugly or just
another good image, but not as good as this other one and I should
delete it. In the old days we would not have made 50 images, maybe
two or three. Note, I am an old guy and when I was in it
professionally a 4X5 was still standard. Really I do suggest, even if you
have an amazing storage
capacity, to delete most of what you take. Your average quality
will go way up. Are you old enough to have sat through someone's
vacation slides? If so you will know what I mean. You really don't
need to keep your mistakes and second best photos.

I know you're right.....in principle.

But my travel companion will kill me if I spend half our
trip taking pictures and then come back to the hotel room
every night and obsess about what to delete :-) I'm hoping
to avoid major deletion decisions until I get back.

When you can buy 160GB of space for $109, there isn't much justification for
spending a lot of time deleting shots during your trip. My personal rule
is... Figure out about how many shots you'll take, and then AT LEAST
quadruple your ability to store those shots. For one...I always seem to
shoot more than I expect. Second...if you happen upon one of those "Scenes
of a lifetime..." it's nice to know you'll be able to "record it for the
ages" without worry. Finally... You should create backups as you go. I'd
actually suggest TWO of those little hard drives I posted a link to. It is
so easy to do backups, since the drives are identical...and so long as
you've got two USB ports on your laptop, it's very very easy.

MarkČ

Hi,

The WD drives are out of stock at Costco and I looked for
them on Newegg. I was a little uneasy when I read the
number of negative comments about failed drives. Take a
look at Newegg - I've usually found people pretty reliable
in their feedback and it made me nervous.

Louise
Old June 3rd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Paul Furman wrote:
Bob Salomon wrote:

TSA locks

"Tampering Submission Authority"?

:-)

They left out the last letter, "W."
"Take Stuff At Will..."

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

louise wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
louise wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
louise wrote:
..
[...]

If you trust me...I'll buy them and send them to you.
I've done this for people before with Costco items.
My local Costco has them right now...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , louise
wrote:

Next question is about carry-on. I can't see being able to
carry all this onto the plane with the new regulations. Is
there a case which is considered "baggage proof" into which
I could put my camera and lens that I could put on with my
other baggage?

If you put your computer or camera in checked luggage, expect to never
see either again.

Especially true with international flights.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 3rd 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

King Sardon wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:08:33 -0400, M-M wrote:

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a
lock would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

They would cut the lock.

There are approved locks that you can use... they can be opened by the
security folks without damaging them. We use them; in one case they
searched the bag, left a note inside, and relocked it. Works great.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/luggage-lock-tsa.html

That's still no guarantee that someone won't steal the bag lock and
all.

Or have the master key. I can't imagine that none have been
"mislaid" by now.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old June 4th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
King Sardon

Paul Furman wrote:

I checked a couple of my biggest lenses in an unlocked bag & the bag was
searched, with a little notice slip... it would seem a suitcase with a
lock would be wise and they wouldn't have that option.

They would cut the lock.

There are approved locks that you can use... they can be opened by the
security folks without damaging them. We use them; in one case they
searched the bag, left a note inside, and relocked it. Works great.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/luggage-lock-tsa.html

That's still no guarantee that someone won't steal the bag lock and
all.

Or have the master key. I can't imagine that none have been
"mislaid" by now.

I don't think there is just one master key; there are quite a few. But
really, these locks are not intended to afford a high level of
security. They do provide a barrier to the casual thief who might want
to just have a browse through a bunch of bags to see what's there.

For the 6 bucks or so that they cost, they are worthwhile IMHO.

KS

Old June 4th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

MarkČ wrote:
louise wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
louise wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
louise wrote:
..
[...]

Why would the drives at Costco be any different from the
ones at Newegg when they are the same make and model number?

My concern was not in getting them - I can get them from
Newegg. My concern was that they seem to have a rather
notable failure rate according to the reviews at Newegg.

Louise
Old June 4th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

louise wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
louise wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
louise wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
louise wrote:
..
[...]

I misunderstood, then. I thought you meant you didn't want to buy from
Newegg. But word has it that Newegg shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't heard of problems with failure...but I'll check into that.

www.pbase.com/markuson