RB lens part II

Old July 8th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Robert J. Mathes

Default RB lens part II

I'm posting this message for the second time with the hope of success this
time. My previous post elicited a couple of responses (for which I am still
grateful) but with no solution.

My 150mm soft focus lens is not dependable to fire my strobes every time. In
simple terms, some times it fires the strobes and some times it doesn't.
Aggravating is an understatement and, of course, very unprofessional looking
to whoever is sitting for a portrait. I bought the lens used and have had
this problem for some time. It's not the sync cord......the cord works
flawlessly with all my other lenses and other cameras. My suspicion is the
female connection on the lens. (As an aside and as a male, one must always
view the female connection with suspicion......, if you know what I mean.
But I digress.)

Several replies to my previous post have told me that the contacts on the
lens for the sync cord are likely shot, probably from a "normal than higher
zap from a flash unit", and, venturing a guess, most likely the reason why
the lense was sold to begin with. Does anyone know of someone somewhere that
can repair this problem. I've contacted Mamiya repair service and they
suggested a standard overhaul of the lens (as would be expected) which
starts at $210. Although in an ideal world this would be great, I would
rather not spend that much on a lens that sells used for not much more.
Another testimonial to "caveat emptor", eh? All responses would be
appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Old July 8th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Robert J. Mathes wrote:
[...]

The firing is sporadic when you short out the contacts manually? If so,
check your yellow pages for "Camera Repair".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old July 8th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

And I'm sure there is no shortage of parts, especially a standard part such
as a firing contact.
It might even be owner repairable if you had on of those RB lens repairs
books I always see on ebay.

Old July 9th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
BVStaples

Robert:

If you're not up to fixing it yourself, I would suggest a local source
for camera repair. I don't know where you live, but any medium to large
urban area should have a few repair places. I live in Southern
California, and we have lots of good, reputable repair folk around. To
give you an idea of price contrast, Mamiya wants $210 to overhall a
lens, a local shop here does it for $75, and I feel more confident with
them, as I know them, the exemplary work they do, and the fact that if
it isn't right I can walk it back in and they'll fix it for me. It's
sort of like finding a good mechanic for your car.

Good luck.

Brian

Robert J. Mathes wrote:
[...]

Perspective control using shifts Scott W Large Format Photography Equipment 19 June 3rd 06 01:08 AM
18-200mm AF-S VR DX Nikkor cjcampbell Digital SLR Cameras 0 January 9th 06 03:42 AM
Lenses for D70 Digital Photography 3 January 20th 05 05:01 PM
FS-- Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 AF II Lens Minolta + Camera Bag James Cloud 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 June 23rd 04 03:52 AM
FS: Nikon F4, Nikkor Lenses, Filters and lens Shades etc. FocaIPoint 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 August 29th 03 04:01 PM