Advice Please Slide Scanners

Old February 20th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Advice Please Slide Scanners

Hi All,

I'm looking for a high yeald slidescanner must scan at 4800dpi and take
about 50 slides at a time. I currently have 22,000 to scan!!!

What is there on the market?

Many thanks

James

Old February 20th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

James Mawson wrote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a high yeald slidescanner must scan at 4800dpi and
take about 50 slides at a time. I currently have 22,000 to scan!!!

What is there on the market?

Many thanks

James

Tell us what are the results of your research up to now, and perhaps
we can supplement it.

--
Frank ess

Old February 20th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

James Mawson wrote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a high yeald slidescanner must scan at 4800dpi and take
about 50 slides at a time. I currently have 22,000 to scan!!!

What is there on the market?

Many thanks

James

For real high res there is nothing at 4800ppi, Nikon and Braun have
scanners that will do 4000ppi. The Nikon has a problematical 50 slide
bulk loader, works OK (just OK) with plastic mount slides, very poorly
with cardboard mounts espercially old ones. Folks who have the Nikon
5000 like it, just not the bulk loader. The Braun holds a tray of 40 or
100 slides, looks like a slide projector, I have just seen pics, and
don't know anyone who has one. Pacific Image made a slide tray based
scanner, discontinued, and could only do 3200 ppi. Sony makes some
industrial level scanners, very fast, very expensive ($5K), but I think
they are only around 3000ppi too. The Sony is the type of scanner you
may be able to pick up used for a lot less money. Minolta made a
5400ppi scanner (still do?), but it would only hold 4 slides at a time.

Also make sure you have a computer that can handle all those images,
ther main things are enough RAM to hold the images while scanning 2-4gb
would be barely enough. you would also need enough disk space to hold
thes images, and 8 bit file at 4000 ppi is about 80mb per image. If you
are taking the time to do this you are looking at saving in the Tif
format, I'd use lzw compression, but the files still would be 60mb
each. A couple of terrabytes would be necessary. What if you wanted to
use 16 bit files double everything.
My advise is to learn to be a good editor, take out as much as
possible, only use what's necessary.

Tom

Old February 20th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:38:38 +0000 (UTC), "James Mawson"
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking for a high yeald slidescanner must scan at 4800dpi and take
about 50 slides at a time. I currently have 22,000 to scan!!!

What is there on the market?

Many thanks

James

James, meet All Things Mopar.

Lurking is often a good thing. It lets you see what's already being
discussed, and gives you a feel for the people in the group.
In this case, All Things Mopar (AKA Jerry) has pretty much beaten just
this subject into the ground. Do a search on All Things Mopar in
Google Groups and follow along. A *LOT* of information there.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old February 20th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article . com,
"tomm42" wrote:

Braun have
scanners that will do 4000ppi.

Braun is 3600. To go higher requires interpolation.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old February 21st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
"James Mawson" wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking for a high yeald slidescanner must scan at 4800dpi and take
about 50 slides at a time. I currently have 22,000 to scan!!!

What is there on the market?

Think in terms of months or even years. Scanning is slightly less boring
than watching paint dry. 4800dpi is probably not possible - 4000 seems
to be the limit these days.

Home scanners take between 30 seconds and 3 minutes to properly scan a
slide, meaning unless you can successfully multi-task day-in day-out,
you're looking at a number of lost holidays or a year of weekends trying
to do everything.

IMO You should sort through the slides first, divide into (a) Must have,
(b) nice to have, (c) to do after and (d) unwanted. Then do a cost
analysis.
How much would you be willing to spend to have someone else scan a
slide? $1?, 10c? Multiply this by (a) and (b).

This should give you a value. $1000 or less go for the Minolta scanner.
$2000 will get you the Nikon Coolscan 9000. If more, then check out the
pro scanners or slide scanning companies.

Many scan companies seem to make their money on the media the scans are
recorded to - $5 for a 20 cent CD-R. 2000 slides scanned at 4000dpi will
set you back around $2500 (if you're prepared to do a bit of work
yourself), $5000 if you want them to do all the work.

If you do scan your own slides, take a trip down to the local bookstore
first and pick up a bagfull of those 2 inch thick *blockbuster* novels.
Old February 21st 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

James Mawson wrote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a high yeald slidescanner must scan at 4800dpi and
take about 50 slides at a time. I currently have 22,000 to scan!!!

What is there on the market?

Many thanks

James

If you have 22,000 slides that are worth scanning, you are better than most
photographers on the planet, and should be making a good living out of this.
Too good to be bothering about scanning.

I had around 1500 sslides to scan, but prudence and an objective outlook
soon cut this down to less than 100. I am very happy with the results.

Dennis.