DAVID J LITTLEBOY

Old June 21st 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default Basketball and other sports...

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:02:21 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

I was very impressed with the Celtics in this game.

As someone who has never played any sport other than ping ping and
bowling, my name really shouldn't be on a Celtics thread. It just
ain't right.
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Well, for not the same reasons, I would like to join in and spout a
few paragraphs of thought-up factoids and attitudoids to establish my
all-around competence to judge and pontificate on any subject, but the
"Lakers" and the "Keltiks" fall in my area of disinterest, so y'all
are spared that.

That's a lie. They fall in my area of anti-interest.

Good on you, sport!

Old June 21st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default DAVID J LITTLEBOY

Blinky the Shark wrote:

John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

You and your fellow "proper Bostonians" can celebrate the Celtics'
17th NBA championship, after Tuesday night's (6-17-08) annihilation
of the Los Angeles Lakers, 131-92.

Angelino and Laker fan here. I gave up after the Lakers barely won Game 5
at home, and hadn't stumbled upon the score of the last game until your
post. Holy cow. That's ugly. That's not to say that the game where we
had the biggest Finals lead ever and lost was pretty.

Hello, Blinky:

You should read Game 6's box score, if you want a genuine scare; LA
finished with TWO offensive rebounds NO blocked shots!

That's a somewhat disgraceful performance, when a team is facing
playoff elimination...is it not? The Celtics owned the lane, at
both ends of the court, all night.

Go Dodgers!

Hold on, there! Over the decades, the Dodgers have been even bigger
chokers, than the Lakers:

Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers, all-time NBA Finals record:

14-15 (.482) (5-1, in MN; 9-14, in CA)

----

Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers, all-time World Series record:

6-12 (.333) (1-8, in NY; 5-4, in CA)

Conversely, the Boston Celtics are 17-3, in the league championship
series (and 9-3, vs the Lakers, themselves). This is a winning
percentage (.850), which even those vaunted New York Yankees can't
match (NY's WS mark: 26-13, .666).

Whoa! 666, for the Yanks? My, what an appropriate number that is,
for such an Evil Empire, eh? ;-)

By the way, the Montreal Canadiens are 23-10 (.696), in the Stanley
Cup Finals. The Green Bay Packers are 9-2 (.818), in NFL title games
(including 2-1, in the Super Bowl.)

Parts of the above info, are from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org:

Los Angeles Lakers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Lakers

Los Angeles Dodgers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Dodgers

Boston Celtics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics

New York Yankees http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Yankees

Montreal Canadiens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens

Green Bay Packers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 21st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Allen wrote:

edited for brevity

You and your fellow "proper Bostonians" can celebrate the Celtics'
17th NBA championship, after Tuesday night's (6-17-08) annihilation
of the Los Angeles Lakers, 131-92.

Not from Boston, but I loved watching every minute of the utter rout,
in lovely, High Definition resolution. :-P

I was very impressed with the Celtics in this game. They obviously
consider themselves a team, not a bunch of individual superstars doing
their thing. I'm not a big basketball fan, but my 11 year old grandson
eats, dreams and sleeps the game, along with playing it. He was rooting
for the Celts in this series and I know he's happy. He was off at camp
this week but I hope he set the DVR to record it. I remember when he was
six years old he was watching the NBA draft at my house; he came in to
where I was on the computer and said (Team A) traded two named players
to (Team B) for another named player and some draft choice and asked
"What do they expect to get out of that!" I didn't have a clue what he
was talking about so I answered "I don't know".
Allen

Hello, Allen:

Yes, I tend to agree! Boston got it done, in the traditional "Celtics
way" of rebounding, defense and patient offense. Whereas, the Lakers
are little more than a loose collection of basically-mediocre players.
They've deluded themselves into believing that a lone superstar (i.e.,
Kobe Bryant) can lead them to ultimate glory, nearly single-handedly.

I was a huge basketball fan (both college and pro), from 1972 to the
early 1990's. Then, I suddenly became sick of it, as it simply seemed
to become a rather sleazy business.

Although, during the past few years, I have followed the NBA playoffs,
to a limited extent; the collegiate game still turns me off, for some
reason. (Maybe, because it's sheer hypocrisy to continue calling it
an "amateur" sport?)

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 21st 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"Allen" wrote:
John Turco wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
Oh, heavens, I'd never say something nasty like that. I'm a _proper_
Bostonian.

You and your fellow "proper Bostonians" can celebrate the Celtics' 17th
NBA championship, after Tuesday night's (6-17-08) annihilation
of the Los Angeles Lakers, 131-92.

Not from Boston, but I loved watching every minute of the utter rout, in
lovely, High Definition resolution. :-P

I was very impressed with the Celtics in this game.

As someone who has never played any sport other than ping ping and bowling,
my name really shouldn't be on a Celtics thread. It just ain't right.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Hello, David:

That's all right...as the the late, great Howard Cosell, once said, "I
never played the game," either. g

I doubt that you'll recall, but, here's a quote, from one of my public
replies to you, on Sept. 3, 2007 (" Total and effective pixels?"):

"Well, you've missed out on 'Bean Town's' sports renaissance, of the
new millennium. The Patriots earned 3 Super Bowl victories and the
Red Sox finally won the World Series; even the long-suffering Celtics
finagled a huge offseason trade, this summer, which is expected to
instantly transform the team into a playoff contender."

During the intervening ten months or so, the Red Sox took another WS
title, the Patriots narrowly lost SB XLII (and almost capped what
would have been an unbeaten season, at 19-0), and the Celtics bagged
their first NBA crown, since 1986.

Not much going on, in your old hometown, otherwise. :-J

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 21st 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

John Turco wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:

John Turco wrote:

edited for brevity

You and your fellow "proper Bostonians" can celebrate the Celtics'
17th NBA championship, after Tuesday night's (6-17-08) annihilation
of the Los Angeles Lakers, 131-92.

Angelino and Laker fan here. I gave up after the Lakers barely won Game 5
at home, and hadn't stumbled upon the score of the last game until your
post. Holy cow. That's ugly. That's not to say that the game where we
had the biggest Finals lead ever and lost was pretty.

Hello, Blinky:

You should read Game 6's box score, if you want a genuine scare; LA
finished with TWO offensive rebounds NO blocked shots!

IIEEEEE!

That's a somewhat disgraceful performance, when a team is facing
playoff elimination...is it not? The Celtics owned the lane, at
both ends of the court, all night.

Go Dodgers!

Hold on, there! Over the decades, the Dodgers have been even bigger
chokers, than the Lakers:

But they're all I have left right now.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Old June 21st 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:17:54 -0500, John Turco
wrote:

I was a huge basketball fan (both college and pro), from 1972 to the
early 1990's. Then, I suddenly became sick of it, as it simply seemed
to become a rather sleazy business.

Although, during the past few years, I have followed the NBA playoffs,
to a limited extent; the collegiate game still turns me off, for some
reason. (Maybe, because it's sheer hypocrisy to continue calling it
an "amateur" sport?)

I grew up in a basketball state, Indiana, and attended Indiana
University. (Branch Rickey, pre-Bobby Knight) I graduated from high
school the same year that Oscar Robertson graduated from another high
school in town. I was in Butler Fieldhouse when Bobby Plump from
Milan made the shot (the plot of "Hoosiers"). I've watched
basketball since the two-handed push shot and the underarm foul shot.

I still watch, but it's spoiled kids with "me" attitudes now. High
school, college, and NBA.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 25th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

John Turco wrote:

heavily edited for brevity

The Green Bay Packers are 9-2 (.818), in NFL title games (including 2-1,
in the Super Bowl.)

edited

Correction: The Green Bay Packers are 3-1, in the Super Bowl.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 25th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

wrote:

I was a huge basketball fan (both college and pro), from 1972 to the
early 1990's. Then, I suddenly became sick of it, as it simply seemed
to become a rather sleazy business.

Although, during the past few years, I have followed the NBA playoffs,
to a limited extent; the collegiate game still turns me off, for some
reason. (Maybe, because it's sheer hypocrisy to continue calling it
an "amateur" sport?)

I grew up in a basketball state, Indiana, and attended Indiana
University. (Branch Rickey, pre-Bobby Knight) I graduated from high
school the same year that Oscar Robertson graduated from another high
school in town. I was in Butler Fieldhouse when Bobby Plump from
Milan made the shot (the plot of "Hoosiers"). I've watched
basketball since the two-handed push shot and the underarm foul shot.

Hello, Tony:

Well, I'm in Nebraska, where football has always been king. :-P

I've only seen a single game, of any kind (basketball, football,
baseball or hockey), in person. That was in Chicago, while I was
staying with relatives, for a couple of weeks or so.

Anyhow, I witnessed the Los Angeles Lakers' beating of the Chicago
Bulls...part of their 4-0 sweep of the first-round playoff series.
After having suffered many losses (to the Boston Celtics, mostly),
in the finals, during the 1960's, they went on to capture the 1972
NBA championship -- their first, since moving from Minneapolis, MN,
in 1960.

I started out as a Lakers fan, then, but switched to the Celtics,
within a couple of years. That '71/'72 Los Angeles squad was one
of the most dominant in NBA history, and was led by two of the
all-time greatest players (i.e., Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West).

I still watch, but it's spoiled kids with "me" attitudes now.
High school, college, and NBA.

Precisely! Alas, the same is true (more or less), of all sports,
today.

Yet, the thing that made basketball the worst of the bunch, in
my opinion, was the NBA's signing of players, right out of high
school!

On the other hand, the NFL has won several legal battles (e.g.,
the Maurice Clarett case), in order to keep college freshmen
and sophomores from entering the league's draft.

Cordially,
John Turco