Long term archive of digi-files .. suggestion

Old August 18th 04, 05:43 PM
Bruce Wilson

Default Long term archive of digi-files .. suggestion

I have been burning CDs to keep most of my image files. Is there any diff
between the major brands Imation, Maxel, Memorex, etc, etc ?? or is it one
of those things that one company makes most CD's and multiple companies put
their name on them.

What is the best for long term image archive CD's, other media ?? and if
CD's any recommendations ?? Also, is there image quality loss during the
transfer/burning process ??

I did "google" first and didn't any major discussion. Apologize if this is
rehashing an old issue.
--
Bruce Wilson
San Antonio, TX

Old August 18th 04, 06:19 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Bruce Wilson"

I have been burning CDs to keep most of my image files. Is there any diff
between the major brands Imation, Maxel, Memorex, etc, etc ?

Different coatings mean different estimated life-span. The old Kodak Ultima
Gold ones were the best but have been phased out. Here's some info on CD
longevity ... the cheaper 15 cent ones probably won't last a year, and CD-RW's
are not long-lasting either.

http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/index.html
http://www.silverace.com/dottyspotty/issue12.html

is there image quality loss during the
transfer/burning process ??

No, it either burns right or it doesn't.

What is the best for long term image archive CD's, other media ?

After accumulating a couple hundred CD-R's I figured there had to be a better
way ... one problem with CD-R's is you never know if they're bad until you
really need them a couple years later unless you periodically read them.

I switched to external hard drives for back-up, now that the price has dropped
so low. I saw a 160 GB IOGear model for $99 today at Fry's for example. This
is equivalent in storage to about 250 standard CD's but far more flexible (and
smaller). We keep all our archived RAW files on three of these, with the same
files on every one and one of them is stored off-site for extra safety. We
rotate the off-site disk in every time we finish a project and update it.
These connect via USB 2 or Firewire (or both) and are pretty fast. I know
they'll go bad sooner or later (all disks do) but so long as you have multiple
copies of the files you're OK, especially with one stored elsewhere.

DVD-R's are another solution but have the same long term problems as CD-Rs
except you need fewer of them.

Bill
Old August 18th 04, 06:19 PM
Bill Hilton

Old August 18th 04, 06:26 PM
Tim Smith

On 2004-08-18, Bruce Wilson wrote:
I have been burning CDs to keep most of my image files. Is there any diff
between the major brands Imation, Maxel, Memorex, etc, etc ?? or is it
one of those things that one company makes most CD's and multiple
companies put their name on them.

There are some companies that make CDs that are specifically meant for
archiving. They supposedly will last much longer. You should be able to
find them with Google.

What is the best for long term image archive CD's, other media ?? and if
CD's any recommendations ?? Also, is there image quality loss during the
transfer/burning process ??

There is no image quality loss. The CD is an exact copy of the file from
your computer.

The most important thing when archiving any important data is to not rely on
a single archival copy. Make sure that each image is archived onto at least
two different CDs. For extra safety, keep one of the CDs in a separate
location (it doesn't do any good to have two copies if they both get burned
up in the same fire!) (And speaking of fire, note that most "fireproof"
safes will *not* protect CDs. What they mean by "fireproof" is that in a
fire of the intensity and duration the safe is rated to withstand, it won't
get hot enough inside to burn paper. Unfortunately, the temperature at
which paper ignites is much higher than the temperature at which CDs are
damaged).

It's a good idea to periodically rearchive things. When a given archive
disc gets to be a few years or so old, read it onto the computer, and burn a
new one.

--
--Tim Smith
Old August 18th 04, 06:26 PM
Tim Smith

Old August 18th 04, 06:26 PM
Tim Smith

Old August 18th 04, 09:55 PM
Big Bill

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:43:56 GMT, "Bruce Wilson"
wrote:

I have been burning CDs to keep most of my image files. Is there any diff
between the major brands Imation, Maxel, Memorex, etc, etc ?? or is it one
of those things that one company makes most CD's and multiple companies put
their name on them.

What is the best for long term image archive CD's, other media ?? and if
CD's any recommendations ?? Also, is there image quality loss during the
transfer/burning process ??

I did "google" first and didn't any major discussion. Apologize if this is
rehashing an old issue.
--
Bruce Wilson
San Antonio, TX

Personal opinion:
It's been my experience that the burner plays a much larger role in
this than the brand of CD you buy.
A good burner will burn just abut anything you throw at it; the $59.94
special burner is much more particular.
I've had a bunch of dofferent burners, starting with a SCSI 2X burner.
My current burner is a SONY DRU-510A; it will burn the cheapest CD-Rs
I can find, and they last. Friends with the Fry's cut-rate specials
are faster, if they use the expensive disks. If not, they get a lot of
coasters.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old August 18th 04, 10:58 PM

"Bruce Wilson" wrote:

I have been burning CDs to keep most of my image files.

What the heck for? CD's (even DVD's) do not have enough capacity for
even modest collections of images (mine is 30GB; I expect to be at 80
or 100 by the end of the year -- the thought of doing that in CD's or
DVD's scares me).

Be sensible and get a portable HD unit. You'll be so glad you did.

And yes, this is a rehashed rehashed rehash of a rehashed question.
google-groups: group:rec.photo.digital archive portable disk (and
other variations)