Nikon 8700 or Canon PS Pro1

Old August 15th 04, 01:58 AM
[BnH]

What were your high end 35mm's ?

On all the 8mpx prosumers ... I fond the KM A2 more.
Anti shake is just an import from the future

=bob=

"Ric Kaysen" wrote in message
. net...
I've used high end 35's and medium format for years, but only recently
made
the move to digital with a Canon S50. I bought it just for quick
snapshots,
but was very impressed with the picture quality. I think I might like to
buy
one of the new 8MP SLR'S but can't decide between the Canon PowerShot Pro1
and the Nikon 8700. I'm just an amateur shooter who likes a little more
control than a point and shoot delivers. Does anyone here have experience
with either of these two cameras? I've read some reviews and the biggest
concern I have is the slowness of the AF.

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

---

Old August 15th 04, 03:11 AM
TheNewsGuy

Default Nikon 8700 or Canon PS Pro1

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:35:03 GMT, "Ric Kaysen"
wrote:

I've used high end 35's and medium format for years, but only recently made
the move to digital with a Canon S50. I bought it just for quick snapshots,
but was very impressed with the picture quality. I think I might like to buy
one of the new 8MP SLR'S but can't decide between the Canon PowerShot Pro1
and the Nikon 8700. I'm just an amateur shooter who likes a little more
control than a point and shoot delivers. Does anyone here have experience
with either of these two cameras? I've read some reviews and the biggest
concern I have is the slowness of the AF.

I have a 5700 and there are a few features I wish I knew were lacking
before purchasing it.
1. No TTL metering - does the 8700 (or the Canon have it?) There is a
sensor in the popup flash that must be up to use external flash units
- this means the Nikon lens hood must be off at the time..

2. The 8700 has AF assist with Nikon compatible flash units (that is
better for low light focussing) But I would expect the AF is slow.
Not for action shots.

The filter adapter and additional lens adapter is awkward for the 5700
- how is it for the canon.

I would check these issues out.

In spite of it's few flaws I am extremely pleased with the quality of
the 5700. The images are sharp, with excellent colour. there are
also a lot of creative features that one can use if they want to - or
one caqn use it as a point and shoot as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old August 15th 04, 06:20 AM
Ann Meffert

Although it isn't an 8 megapixel, and so we're not talking apples to
apples, you might want to read about the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 with the
Leica lens system. For $599, it's what I'm waiting for as my first
digital camera. Seems to me that if I would spend $999 for a
prosumer-level point and shoot, I'd go ahead and go for a slightly more
expensive, but much more advanced, DSLR like the Nikon D70 or Canon
Digital Rebel. My 2 wooden nickels.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04...asonicfz20.asp

Old August 15th 04, 08:30 AM
David J Taylor

[BnH] wrote:
[]
On all the 8mpx prosumers ... I fond the KM A2 more.
Anti shake is just an import from the future

=bob=

On my tests, the A2 picture quality was no better than the 5MP Nikon 5700!
The LCD finder has a rather flimsy mounting and is less flexible in
positioning than the 5700/8700. The anti-shake does not work at lowe
shutter speeds. I sent mine back!

[To the original poster]

Yes, focussing in low light can be a little slow (on the 5700), but they
have added a focus-assist lamp for the 8700. Unless you really need 8MP,
you could look at the 5MP cameras for a considerable cost saving.

As with any camera, you may need to learn how to get the best out of it.
For action photos with the 5700, pre-focussing and exposure with a
haf-press of the shutter release will minimise the taking delay. Ideally,
get to a camera store and check out the ergonomics of the models which
interst you. Some people find the buttons or body too small handle
(especially if you need to operatre the camera with gloved hands). They
have bought the add-on battery pack for the 5700 which allows it to take 6
NiMH batteries instead of the LiIon.

I have been very pleased with my Nikon 5700 and would recommend the line.

Cheers,
David

Old August 15th 04, 08:41 AM
David J Taylor

Ric Kaysen wrote:
I've used high end 35's and medium format for years, but only
recently made the move to digital with a Canon S50. I bought it just
for quick snapshots, but was very impressed with the picture quality.
I think I might like to buy one of the new 8MP SLR'S but can't decide
between the Canon PowerShot Pro1 and the Nikon 8700.

I meant to add - check if the camera has a dioptre adjustment on the
viewfinder. Yes, both the cameras you mention do, but I was recently
handed a Koday camera to use for a photo, and the viewfinder was set yo
display images so "close" as to be useless (for me). One might have
expected an infinity virtual image, but no. It had no dioptre
adjustment.....

Cheers,
David

Old August 15th 04, 03:58 PM
Ric Kaysen

Thanks to all for your input

Old August 15th 04, 04:07 PM
rene maark

Hi,
I can recommend you a Canon PowerShot 1Pro because of the best CCD chip and
better lens.
Really. I use a Canon G2 and I am absolutly satisfied with its.
Nikon camera is better in mechanical camera branch only. Have a look at some
digital-photo sites.
Regards,
rene

"Ric Kaysen" píše v diskusním příspěvku