Reluctant Wedding Photographer - The Story

Old January 15th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Juan Moore Beer

Default Reluctant Wedding Photographer - The Story

I am not sure where to start.

This was a non=traditional wedding to say the least. I arrived in New
Jersey about four hours before the wedding, and learned that it would not
be posssible to get with the bride before she arrived at the venue.

I decided to go earlier and check the layout, find the best spots, etc. I
couldn't imagine a place that was less conducive to good photography. The
room was old, and not in the way of a grand old hotel, more like old and
mangy. The walls were had about 6 feet of "what was once white"
wainscoating, topped with maybe four feet of the darkest brown paneling I
had ever seen, with a smoke yellow suspended ceiling. The lighting was
about half open flourescent, with a number of wall sconces with
incadesecnt bulbs covered in some sort of sheer material as a decoration
for the wedding. They helped cast a gray dingy glow around the room.
The "alter" was an extremely fragile metal archway flanked by two hungry
potted palms. Behind the archway was a bedsheet, hanging from the
ceiling, to about four feet off the floor, with the top secure, but the
bottom waving in the breeze. There was a projection of ocean waves
crashing on the beach on the sheet. This place was incredible in that
there was virtually no angle that I could spot that did not have something
offensive in the background.

I took a number of shots to try to choose the right settings for the
occaision, and to perhaps capture any anticipation that was building in
the room. I got a few nice shots of the grooms men and most of the guests
(mostly hanging out at the bar).

I had tried to get to talk to the preacher ahead of time but was unable to
spot him. It turns out that he was the cousin of the groom and got
ordained on line. There would be no advice coming from him.

When the bride arrived, I decided to go out and get pictures of her
arriving, but got shood away. It seems she was told it was bad luck to be
seen before the wedding (by anybody, I guess?!)

Instead, I set up for the bridal procession. Unfortunatly, the entrance
was in a corner, with the kitchen on one side, an open exterior door on
the other. She would be coming out of a door with a flourescent "BAR"
sign directly overhead. There will be a lot of closely cropped portrait
type shots from this wedding. I took several photos of all the bridal
party arriving. I had taken some of your advise and shot at a higher ISO
with my fastest lense so that I could manage without a flash.

The odd thing is that nobody would have noticed the flash. At least half
of the guests has cameras (many pretty nice ones) and everybody was
flashing away. I ended up putting mine on too. It was obvious nobody was
going to notice my restraint, and the other flashes were messing with my
photos.

The ceremony was strange, at least, and some though disrespectful. The
person officiating often strayed from the norm to crack a joke or two
about the groom. Flashes were firing at a rate of about thirty a minute.

After the ceremony, the bride and groom had a posing session for everyone
to thake photos. I did not try to direct it in any way. I felt a little
shell shocked by now.

While people were preparing to eat, I took a number of pictures around the
room of the guests at there tables, the gift table. I couldn't find a
cake and figured that they didn'y have it in the budget.

I had planned on taking the ceremony pictures and putting them in a
digital frame at this point, but they had a plan that was better. On the
sheet behind the altar, they now displayed pictures that were important to
each of them. It really was a nice touch if not done as well as it could
have.

It was then that I learned of a few sub-plots circling the event.

While photographing an exchange between the mother of the groom and the
step mother of the bride, I see throough my viewfinder, the step mother
mothing the words "F**k you, B**ch!"

It seems step mother's real daughter got de-invited to the wedding (she
was to be the maid of honor) about a month before the wedding. It seems
they had an argument about some of the plans. I later learned that the
step mother put presents on the gift table that the bride had brought to
their home for family christams presents! (I guess those pictures will not
make the album). There were other intrigues as well, but I will not go
further into the black hole. If I should only be posting this in
rec.soapopera.rediculous, I am sorry.

It turned out that there was a cake (two actually), that they cut in the
kitchen without telling anyone. I was surprised, because they went to the
trouble of getting a cute little bride and groom for the top. So much for
getting the traditional reception photos.

Others in the family were offended by the service, the lack of a real
preacher, and some traditions, so I had to leave early. It is a shame,
too, because some of the young people were really starting to have fun. I
would have liked to record some of that, too. One of the bridesmaids just
came alive when the lens was pointed at her. It was hard not to hang
around her. She would have, at least been the source of some interesting
photos, if not soft porn.

I went in thinking that I might get lucky and have a few shots that would
replicate a professional photographic experience, but left wondering if
any of you pros could have done anything to makle this look good. I am
sure that some of you could, and would like to see how, I just haven't the
experience to be able to imagine it.

A week or so after the wedding, I called to bride, mostly to see if she
was starting to recover, but to my surprise she said, "It was the most
perfect day of my life!"

I don't know if I am too old or was watching too close, but I am glad. I
hope that she feels the same about my album.

__________________________________________________ ______________________*

Old January 16th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 1/15/08 5:45 AM, in article , "Juan Moore
Beer" wrote:

[...]

: the next generation of web-newsreaders :
http://www.recgroups.com

Don't feel bad. It could have been worse:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oaf79

Just imagine. You could have the photographer at this wonderful event:

http://www.slideshare.net/raz0r/cajun-wedding/

Old January 16th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , George Kerby
wrote:

Don't feel bad. It could have been worse:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oaf79

Just imagine. You could have the photographer at this wonderful event:

http://www.slideshare.net/raz0r/cajun-wedding/

I've considered writing a book about my wedding experiences...like the
time the bride's dress caught fire...or when I caught the bride & groom
smoking dope...it's a long list.
Old January 16th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Devine

George Kerby wrote:

Don't feel bad. It could have been worse:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oaf79

Just imagine. You could have the photographer at this wonderful event:

http://www.slideshare.net/raz0r/cajun-wedding/

The "Cajun Wedding" gives a whole new meaning to the term Shotgun
Wedding. The "Ducks on a Pond" wedding cake (Image 22/25) is very
impressive!

Dave

Giv
--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Old January 16th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze)

Dave Devine wrote:
George Kerby wrote:

Don't feel bad. It could have been worse:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oaf79

Just imagine. You could have the photographer at this wonderful event:

http://www.slideshare.net/raz0r/cajun-wedding/

The "Cajun Wedding" gives a whole new meaning to the term Shotgun
Wedding. The "Ducks on a Pond" wedding cake (Image 22/25) is very
impressive!

Dave

Giv

Yup Nicely theemed but woud be a horrer to shoot prehaps a nature
photograher would have had a better chance? Love the camerflage it did
work in blending the wedding party into the bacground

Old January 17th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-01-16 09:54:10 -0800, "RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze)"
o m" said:

Dave Devine wrote:
George Kerby wrote:

Don't feel bad. It could have been worse:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oaf79

Just imagine. You could have the photographer at this wonderful event:

http://www.slideshare.net/raz0r/cajun-wedding/

The "Cajun Wedding" gives a whole new meaning to the term Shotgun
Wedding. The "Ducks on a Pond" wedding cake (Image 22/25) is very
impressive!

Dave

Giv

Yup Nicely theemed but woud be a horrer to shoot prehaps a nature
photograher would have had a better chance? Love the camerflage it did
work in blending the wedding party into the bacground

Just the place to use my camouflage covered lenses.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 17th 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-01-15 03:45:37 -0800, "Juan Moore Beer" said:

I am not sure where to start.

This was a non=traditional wedding to say the least.

Well, the bride seems easy to please, at least. :-)

You have to admit, we tried to warn you. A lot of guys absolutely
refuse to do weddings because of this sort of thing.

Old January 17th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-01-15 15:50:05 -0800, George Kerby said:

Don't feel bad. It could have been worse:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oaf79

Just imagine. You could have the photographer at this wonderful event:

http://www.slideshare.net/raz0r/cajun-wedding/

Dogpatch $8 weddin.'

Old January 17th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

On 2008-01-15 03:45:37 -0800, "Juan Moore Beer" said:

I am not sure where to start.

This was a non=traditional wedding to say the least.

Well, the bride seems easy to please, at least. :-)

You have to admit, we tried to warn you. A lot of guys absolutely
refuse to do weddings because of this sort of thing.

In a local park last summer I came across a photographer of a wedding
party standing on a ladder to get a group shot. Sounds simple enough,
but it took a very long time and I could see he was struggling hard
with two conflicting emotions, one being to burst into tears, and the
other being to hurl his camera at the guests and run away screaming
and gibbering :-)

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old January 17th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phil Anderson

Great story, Juan, I feel like I was there! But, I'm glad I wasn't and I'm
sorry you had to be...

"Juan Moore Beer" wrote in message
I am not sure where to start.

This was a non=traditional wedding to say the least. snip of great
description of a bad wedding)