card reader

Old January 9th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS[_3_]

Default card reader

Can anyone recommend a memory card reader that does not assign a different drive letter
to each slot in Windows. Novell with Windows makes it an impossible chore
to cope with.

greg
Old January 9th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

GregS wrote:
Can anyone recommend a memory card reader that does not assign a different drive letter
to each slot in Windows. Novell with Windows makes it an impossible chore
to cope with.

greg

I doubt if anyone can, but winxp is quite good about letting you assign
the drive letter.
I always have my cd stuff at the end out of the way, they are w,x and y.
For some strange reason, if you use zone alarm, you can assign drive z,
but it won't stick, on a re-boot you lose it.
Dave Cohen
Old January 9th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , GregS
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a memory card reader that does not assign a different
drive letter
to each slot in Windows. Novell with Windows makes it an impossible chore
to cope with.

Oh my God...people are still using Novell?
Old January 9th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_4_]

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:39:55 +0000, GregS wrote:

Can anyone recommend a memory card reader that does not assign a
different drive letter to each slot in Windows. Novell with Windows
makes it an impossible chore to cope with.

greg

One with only a single slot.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old January 11th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS[_3_]

In article , Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:39:55 +0000, GregS wrote:

Can anyone recommend a memory card reader that does not assign a
different drive letter to each slot in Windows. Novell with Windows
makes it an impossible chore to cope with.

greg

One with only a single slot.

The crazy thing, I buy this new 2G card for work. It will not read in my printer
or my other computer. The 16 mb card does read. My printer with multiple slots
only shows up with one drive letter. The 2G card reads fine in two other systems.

greg
Old January 12th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul Allen
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a memory card reader that does not assign a
different drive letter to each slot in Windows. Novell with Windows
makes it an impossible chore to cope with.

Use an OS that doesn't impose the long-obsolete "drive letter"
notion on you. When I stick a memory card in a slot on my Linux
machine, it automatically appears in the filesystem and a file
browser opens showing its contents. The same thing happens
regardless of the slot even though each slot is a different
device to the OS. Windows forces you to be aware that each
slot is a distinct device. Unix knows that you don't care
about details like that. I don't use MacOS, but I imagine it
is similarly intelligent.

it is.

Why to Windows users put up with this crap?

good question.
Old January 12th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Paul Allen
wrote:

Why to Windows users put up with this crap?

Maybe they're too busy keeping their anti-virus and anti-spyware up to
date.