Q: Any compact Digita camerasl with external flash

Old November 6th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tom Thumb

Default Q: Any compact Digita camerasl with external flash

Hi,

Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact digital
that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer to conect
via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an adaptor for. I
would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I can fix the
exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the Nikon P5100.

Thanks!
Michael.

Old November 7th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_4_]

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:20:52 +0000, Tom Thumb wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact
digital that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer
to conect via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an
adaptor for. I would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I
can fix the exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the
Nikon P5100.

Thanks!
Michael.

Panasonic FZ series have a hotshoe. The FZ50 also has full intergration
with the camera E TTL. The flash from Panasonic however is almost as
expensive as the camera! Perhaps a Olympus flash will suit it? They are
all made by Panasonic.

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 7th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jarvis W.

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:20:52 GMT, "Tom Thumb" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact digital
that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer to conect
via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an adaptor for. I
would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I can fix the
exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the Nikon P5100.

Thanks!
Michael.

Just go here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Use options of:

Format: SLR-Like, or Compact, or Ultra-Compact (even one ultra-compact uses
external flash)

Street Price: (your current exchange rate to US$, £200 = US$420)

External Flash: Yes

Only Current: Yes (or "Don't Mind", if you want many dozens more earlier
models).

The street price selection criteria may limit them enough so you get enough for
just one page, but if not then use other selection criteria to narrow them down
even more to the 10-max allowed for display. There's many dozens, if not
hundreds, of P&S cameras that can use external flash. All mine do.

Old November 7th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Al, Cambridge, UK

On Nov 6, 11:20 pm, "Tom Thumb" wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recomend a cheap (£200 range - prefer sub 200!) compact digital
that I can connect to my external bowens studio flash? I prefer to conect
via a sync cable, if not via hot-shoe that I could by an adaptor for. I
would like one with the bare essentials manual modes so I can fix the
exposure. The most reasonable one I have found so-far is the Nikon P5100.

Thanks!
Michael.

Be careful.
Most older flash units present a high voltage on the sync cable - safe
for film cameras where the shutter closes a physical switch, but
likely to fry modern electronic cameras.
Al