Suggestion--keep your camera manual in the bathroom

Old January 7th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
King Sardon

Default Suggestion--keep your camera manual in the bathroom

When you get your new camera, what is more exciting: play with the new
camera or read the manual? I don't think any normal person would say
the latter. Besides, those inscrutable volumes are impossible to
understand unless you have some experience with the camera.

After working with the gear for a while, the manual tends to be
forgotten and gets misplaced.

But of course there is a lot of important info in those manuals and we
would all profit from reading them. How to do it?

Keep the manual in the bathroom and read random pages while relaxing
on the can. After a few weeks you will have uncovered amazing gems
that make it easier to work the camera and will help you in your
photography.

Who would have thought that you could override the Rebel XT's annoying
insistence of balancing flash with ambient exposure when on aperture
priority? You take a flash closeup of something interesting in murky
darkness having set the aperture to f:16 to gain DOF and walk away...
then 30 seconds later the camera emits a click. That's the shutter
closing! My camera does this no longer, thanks to my bathroom sessions
with the manual.

Today's DSLRs are plenty complicated, so spend some time with the
manual when you have the time to spare.

KS
Old January 7th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fletis Humplebacker

King Sardon wrote:
[...]

Take it with you to the clinic when you get your hemroids removed too.

Old January 7th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Davey

Please join my team in the fight against cancer.
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...3-AEB0DD18A6CE
"Al" wrote in message

We have 5 camera users and only one bathroom in our house!!!!

What now?

Bookshelf in bathroom
Speed reading course.

--
Regards.
Ken.

Old January 7th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles Schuler

"King Sardon" wrote in message
When you get your new camera, what is more exciting: play with the new
camera or read the manual? I don't think any normal person would say
the latter. Besides, those inscrutable volumes are impossible to
understand unless you have some experience with the camera.

After working with the gear for a while, the manual tends to be
forgotten and gets misplaced.

But of course there is a lot of important info in those manuals and we
would all profit from reading them. How to do it?

Keep the manual in the bathroom and read random pages while relaxing
on the can. After a few weeks you will have uncovered amazing gems
that make it easier to work the camera and will help you in your
photography.

RTFM has now been tweaked! :)

Old January 7th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

Should you practice extending your zoom at the same time?

Old January 8th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

King Sardon wrote:
[...]

That is where new manuals go around here. I also download the manuals
from the manufacturer's site and put in on my laptop so I don't have to
hunt for it later.
Old January 8th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

Al wrote:
We have 5 camera users and only one bathroom in our house!!!!

What now?

I should think you would know. HOLD IT!
Wait your turn. I grew up in a house with one bathroom for 10 people.
I know what 'hold it' means, and 'wait your turn', and DON'T miss your
scheduled opportunity!
Old January 8th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob Williams

King Sardon wrote:
[...]

I just returned from a New Year's Cruise to the Mexican Riviera.
Brought along my 2 year old Panasonic FZ15 manual to read while relaxing
in the deck chairs. It was one of the few times I could totally immerse
myself in the manual without interruption for several hours at a stretch
I discovered quite a few neat features that I did not know about.
I also brought along the manuals for my Scanner and Printer.
It is amazing what one can learn if one will only RTMF.
So many manuals.....so little time.
Bob Williams

Old January 8th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 21:57:14 GMT, King Sardon wrote:

When you get your new camera, what is more exciting: play with the new
camera or read the manual? I don't think any normal person would say
the latter. Besides, those inscrutable volumes are impossible to

great suggestion, assuming you do most of your photography in the can.
"Honey? Wanna see my latest pictures of my turds? That was some dinner!"