Canon 350D 70-200 F4L VS 70-300 IS F4-5.6

Old December 14th 05, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 350D 70-200 F4L VS 70-300 IS F4-5.6

I thought I've narrowed down my choice of lenses for my new 350D. First
lens is the 17-85 IS. Second choice was the 70-300 IS, but I'm hearing a
lot of good things about the 70-200 F4L. The longer telephoto will be used
primarily for sports/nature and I'm wondering if I should sacrifice the
extra 100mm in length of the IS for the better picture quality of the 70-200
F4L. Any comments from users of these lenses, especially someone that's
used both would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 14th 05, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

"Eugene Wendland" writes:

I thought I've narrowed down my choice of lenses for my new 350D. First
lens is the 17-85 IS. Second choice was the 70-300 IS, but I'm hearing a
lot of good things about the 70-200 F4L. The longer telephoto will be used
primarily for sports/nature and I'm wondering if I should sacrifice the
extra 100mm in length of the IS for the better picture quality of the 70-200
F4L. Any comments from users of these lenses, especially someone that's
used both would be greatly appreciated.

Two more factors to consider: the 70-200 has a ring USM and
non-rotating front element. The 70-300 has neither.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old December 14th 05, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Eugene Wendland wrote:
I thought I've narrowed down my choice of lenses for my new 350D. First
lens is the 17-85 IS. Second choice was the 70-300 IS, but I'm hearing a
lot of good things about the 70-200 F4L. The longer telephoto will be used
primarily for sports/nature and I'm wondering if I should sacrifice the
extra 100mm in length of the IS for the better picture quality of the 70-200
F4L. Any comments from users of these lenses, especially someone that's
used both would be greatly appreciated.

I was also going to buy the 70-200mm F4L for my 350D but lack of supply
around here gave me time to evaluate the 70-300mm USM IS, which I ended
up buying.

The reviews of the lens on www.fredmiranda.com are very positive and the
results obtained are very close to that of the 70-200mm apparently (up
to 200mm at least). I can't confirm this myself because I don't have
the 70-200mm F4L to compare with sadly.

Couple of points about the 70-300mm USM IS though would be that it
doesn't have full time manual focus and that the front of the lens
rotates when focusing. The 2nd is possibly more of a disadvantage is
you like to use filters a lot.

For me personally, the lens has received such good reviews that I
decided to get the 70-300 USM IS for the extra 100mm reach. Using the
70-200 to get the same reach would have meant using a 1.4 teleconverter
which would have added another £150 on top of the lens price.

JasonB
Old December 14th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Jason,

My first lens on my Canon Rebel XT is the Canon 17-85mm IS USM and the
second one is the 70-300 IS USM. I was in the same quandry as you. Many
prefer an "L" lens. However, when I was in the shop, both were in stock
and I tried both. The salesman told me that there was a lot of hoopla
about the L lens, but the 70-300 IS USM was very good. The store stood
to make about $100 CAD more if I took the L lens. However, my decision
came for 2 reasons: 100mm more and the 70-300 was smaller. This is
important if you pack all your lenses on a trip and don't want to be
overly encumbered. My backpack, Lowerpro Onion Trekker II fits
everything in quite nicely. The L lens would have necessitated a bigger
pack. Finally, the look of the L lens (with the white) shows off quite
clearly that it's a grabber. The other one is unobtrusive, save for the
size ;-)

Cheers,

Marcel

Old December 14th 05, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

When I bought my 20D a year or so back, I got it with the 17-85 and I
have no regrets - It's a great all-purpose lens (although it could be a
little faster and I wouldn't mind!) My second lens, the 75-300 IS USM
has been a real heartbreaker. It seemed OK the first few times out, but
then I started getting ERR 99 when using any camera setting other than
full Program mode. It hapened more and more frequently, and this
weekend it stopped working altogether - the iris is shut down and won't
re-open. I mounted it on my brother's Rebel XT, and it still doesn't
respond. So, I'll send it back to Canon for repairs, then it'll go
straight to eBay.

Even when it was working it was nothing great. It's so slow that scene
composition and critical focussing are a challenge in anything but
bright daylight, and it's slow to autofocus even with a lot of light.
It's not "Full-Time Manual" focussing, so you can't help it along
without first finding the little switch to defeat autofocus. Don't
expect to do much sports shooting, unless you consider checkers a
sport...

My next lens will be the 70-200 f/4 L but sadly, I won't afford the IS,
and will miss it. I don't often carry a tripod, and the IS is a
Godsend.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Old December 17th 05, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Eugene Wendland wrote:
First lens is the 17-85 IS.

50/1.4
20/2.8

Second choice was the 70-300 IS, but I'm hearing a
lot of good things about the 70-200 F4L. The longer telephoto will be used
primarily for sports/nature

200/2.8
2x

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Old December 17th 05, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

I am shooting with a 70-300 IS DO lens and am very satisfied with quality of
results, sharpness. Auto-focus is quite fast.

I've had the 70-200 F2.8 L. Too heavy for me to carry and shoot with. I
suspect the F4 would be similar.

Steve

Old December 17th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

"Steve Dell" writes:

I am shooting with a 70-300 IS DO lens and am very satisfied with quality of
results, sharpness. Auto-focus is quite fast.

I've had the 70-200 F2.8 L. Too heavy for me to carry and shoot with. I
suspect the F4 would be similar.

The f/4 is only about half the size of the f/2.8. I find it
reasonable to carry about.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old December 18th 05, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

I think the 70 - 200 F4 is a fine lens that can take the knocks. I use it
with a 1.4 converter and still get fine autofocus and high quality. However,
I haven't compared it to the 70 - 300 so not certain what would be better.
If the IS DO lens measures up to the whole range of quality high points of
the 200 F4 then it would indeed be a fine lens. Anybody who owns both got a
view?

regards

Don from Down Under