Request comments on this package

Old June 23rd 04, 05:26 AM
Papa Gordy Grapes

Default Request comments on this package

I have an opportunity to purchase a Calumet Monorail camera package
for $650. I am a complete newbie to LF. The camera really doesn't
appeal to me due to its size and weight (I'd prefer a field or
similar), however I see this as a potential opportunity to acquire
some pricey accessories/lenses and to get started.

The camera includes the following:

1) Calumet Calter-W II 90mm f8 in Copal 0
2) Calumet Ilex 215mm f5.6 in Copal 1
3) Calumet C2 rollfilm holder
4) Polaroid 545 (?) back
5) five film holders
6) big old case and a black blanket (for viewing I imagine)

Cosmetically things look good. I was unable to test the shutters and
to closely examine the glass, but would do so before purchasing from
the local seller.

I'm looking for comments on whether this is a bargain, an ok deal, or
not so good.

Thanks,
PGG
Old June 23rd 04, 07:20 AM
Bob G

Calumet Monorail camera package
for $650. I am a complete newbie to LF. The camera really doesn't
appeal to me due to its size and weight (I'd prefer a field or
similar), however I see this as a potential opportunity to acquire
some pricey accessories/lenses and to get started.

The camera includes the following:

1) Calumet Calter-W II 90mm f8 in Copal 0
2) Calumet Ilex 215mm f5.6 in Copal 1
3) Calumet C2 rollfilm holder
4) Polaroid 545 (?) back
5) five film holders
6) big old case and a black blanket (for viewing I imagine)

Cosmetically things look good. I was unable to test the shutters and
to closely examine the glass, but would do so before purchasing from
the local seller.

There are many different models of Calumet cameras. You'd have to describe
yours a little better.
Assuming the accessories are in at least Excellent condition:
90mm Caltar about $300, deduct $50 for a bad shutter
215mm Ilex about $150, deduct $50
C2 roll holder $125
Polaroid 545 $50
Holders $5 to $10 each
Old case $20, focus cloth $10
The cheapest Calumet is $125, the most expensive about $400
Cheers,

Bob G
Old July 24th 04, 04:58 PM
jjs

"PPG" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.24.15.41.09.647000@NO_SP_A_Myahoo .com...

I sold off some of my unused 35mm gear (I still have a nice 35mm setup),
and got the above LF setup for $600. Everything is in excellent
condition.

Is that the camera from La Crosse? If it is, I saw it when I was in town,
but not with the intention of buying it. (I finally found a very good Linhof
Super Technika V.) It looked okay to me.

I'm concerned I just plopped down a bunch of cash on something I won't
like, but hopefully I can get most of my money back if I sell the stuff
off piece-wise. Time was running out on this deal which I thought was
fairly good, so I acted.

You did quite alright, really. Enjoy! The camera is not as unwieldy as
first impressions might tell you; it is fairly light, movements with the
90mm lens are easier to make than with many folding field cameras.

Best of luck,
jjs in Winona

Old July 24th 04, 10:28 PM
jjs

"PGG" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.24.20.49.28.832000@NO_SP_A_Myahoo .com...

Thanks! Now I just need to find a used Tiltall tripod.

ebay!

Old July 24th 04, 10:28 PM
jjs