Gear discussion (what do you own?)

Old February 13th 05, 01:50 PM
True211

Default Gear discussion (what do you own?)

I'm often impressed by much of the gear that various participants in this
group post about. I have a very modest setup, but nonetheless I'd like to
share it, and hear what everyone else has in their kits. Yes, this has been
done here before, but inventory changes, and so do the regulars. :-)

Bodies:
Canon Elan 7 (film)
D Rebel (digital)

Lenses:
Canon EF 24mm 2.8
Canon EF 50mm 1.8
Canon EF 85mm 1.8 (favorite lens)
Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5- 5.6
Tamron AF 28-300mm 3.5-6.3

Flash:
Canon 420EX

Compacts:
Olympus Stylus Epic (film)
Canon Sure Shot 90U Zoom (film)
Canon Powershot G2
Pentax Optio S (digital)

Old February 13th 05, 07:44 PM
Alan Browne

True211 wrote:

I'm often impressed by much of the gear that various participants in this
group post about. I have a very modest setup, but nonetheless I'd like to
share it, and hear what everyone else has in their kits. Yes, this has been
done here before, but inventory changes, and so do the regulars. :-)

Cameras: Maxxum 7xi, Maxxum 9
VC-9 (Grip, battery pack)
Lenses: All Maxxum:
20mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7, 100 f/2.8 macro, 300 mm f/2.8
28-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8
TC 1.4, 2.0
Filters: Maxxum Circpols (55 and 72mm)
81A (72mm)
others
Cokin: A, P
closeup (A), softening (A)
ND Grad (P)

Flashes: 3500xi, 5400HS, 5600HS, Sunpak (something or other)
various dedicated cables
Better Beamer
StoFen
Lumiquest 80/20
Strobograme RLc (with added Manfrotto 323 QR base)
Studio : (2) Multiblitz Compactlite 200 W-s, 1 AC strobe
(2) Photoflex Med Softboxes (Q3 9) and ring sets for above
Photoflex lightdisc (36")
Photoflex mod kit for softboxes
Homemade snoot
Meter: Minolta VF (incident and incident flash)
Stands: 5
Homemade BG stand (very low)
Tripods: Manfrotto 190QCB with 352RC ball head
Manfrotto 58B with Wimberley head and Kirk plate.
Veblon cheapie that I use as a field stand for the Maxxum flashes
Mono: Manfrotto 134SS with 352RC ball head

Scanners: Minolta DSE 5400 (film, up to 5400dpi)
Mustek 1200 EP III (flatbed, up to 1200 dpi)
Printer: Epson 785EX ink money pit. (Great re$ults).

etc.

Seeking: Maxxum 7D
Hasselblad 500CM, 50mm f/2.8, 150mm f/4, A12

Old February 13th 05, 07:53 PM
parv

in message ,
wrote True211 ...

I have a very modest setup ...

Modest is a relative term.

Bodies:

- Minolta XTsi (film)

Lenses:

- Minolta 24-50mm f/4
- Minolta 70-210mm f/4
- Minolta 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 APO
- Minolta 35mm f/2
- Minolta 50mm f/1.7 (needs replacing, or cleaning of the front
surface)
- Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

Flash:

- Minolta 5400HS

Compacts:

- A disposable film camera
- Yashica Electro 35GL (film; waiting for new light seal & cleaning
for a long time)

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Old February 13th 05, 10:32 PM
Pickle

"True211" wrote in message ...
I'm often impressed by much of the gear that various participants in this
group post about. I have a very modest setup, but nonetheless I'd like to
share it, and hear what everyone else has in their kits. Yes, this has been
done here before, but inventory changes, and so do the regulars. :-)

Mine's all old stuff, picked up over a long time, but I like to try to
make the best pictures I can with it.

Bodies:

Contax RTS II
Contax 139
Yashica FX-D
Yashica FX-3 Super 2000
Yashica FX-1
I used to have the FX-2 as well, making a full set of the FX series,
but it developed a shutter problem, so I let it go.

Lenses:

Zenitar 16mm fish-eye f/2.8
Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5
Yashica ML 28mm f/2.8
Yashica ML 35mm f/2.8
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.7
Tamron SP macro 90mm f/2.5
Yashica ML 135mm f/2.8
Yashica ML 200mm f/4
Tamron 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 (my snapshot lens, when travelling light)
Hoya HMC 100-300mm f/5.6
Tamron SP mirror 350mm f/5.6
Makinon 400mm f/5.6 (bought cheap)
Tamron SP mirror 500mm f/8
Tokina 800mm f/8
MTO mirror 1100mm f/10.5

Flash:

Metz 32 CT3 (TLA dedicated with the Contaxes)
Starblitz 3200 BT Twin S

To maximise versatility I also have all sorts of extra bits and pieces
like a 2x converter, extension tubes, bellows, eyepiece magnifier,
right-angle finder, underwater housing, mainly Cokin P series filters,
all sizes of tripods, and solar filters for pictures of the sun for
eclipses and transits of Mercury and Venus (where those big lenses
really come in handy).

Am I beginning to become one of those equipment hoarders? At least I
actually use all the stuff.

If any of you read the UK-based mag Practical Photography, I finally
got my first pic in there (March issue, just about to come out) as a
runner up in the 'Dawn and Dusk' category of their Photographer of the
Year competition, taken with the Tamron 500mm - one in the eye for
those who write off mirror lenses!
Cheers!
Old February 14th 05, 07:41 AM
Roxy d'Urban

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:50:36 -0500, True211 wrote:

[...]

Okay, so it's brag time...

Nikon System:

F4s
D70
F2 Photomic
Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 (pre-AI)
Nikkor 35mm f/2 (pre-AI)
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 (pre-AI)
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS
Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S DX
Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR
Angenieux 28-70mm f/2.6 AF

Leica system:

R4 body
Leica 35mm f/2
Leica 180mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt-R

Canon FD system

F-1N body
Canon 50mm f/1.8FD (1976 Montreal Olympics Commemorative cap)
Canon 28mm f/2.8FD
Canon 19mm f/3.5FD (with shoe finder)

Currently under negotiation to purchase:

Leica M3 (1961)
Leica 50mm f/2
Leica 135mm ?
Leica 90mm f/2 R lens (very expensive!!!)

--
Save photography - shoot a roll of film today!
Old February 14th 05, 09:22 AM
Colin D

True211 wrote:

I'm often impressed by much of the gear that various participants in this
group post about. I have a very modest setup, but nonetheless I'd like to
share it, and hear what everyone else has in their kits. Yes, this has been
done here before, but inventory changes, and so do the regulars. :-)

Gear he

Canon EOS 10 film camera
Canon 35-135mm kit lens for EOS 10
Canon 28-105 MKII (the good one)
Canon 100-300mm

Canon EOS 300D digital
18-55 kit lens for 300D
17-85mm USM IS lens

HP 620 2mp knockaround camera (don't laugh, it does pretty good 6x4's)

Manfrotto 144B tripod with universal head

Metz CL45-4 flash unit

Several Kodak grey cards

Pentium 4 3.00GHz computer, 1GB memory

On short list: Canon i9950 printer

Colin D.
Old February 14th 05, 02:26 PM
Scott Norwood

In article , True211 wrote:

I'm often impressed by much of the gear that various participants in this
group post about.

Me, too.

For 35mm, I have a Nikon F3, MD4 winder, 24mm, 50mm, 200mm, and 35-105mm
Nikkor lenses, SB16 flash, and various other doodads. Great stuff. I
used to have a Minolta X-700 which I really enjoyed using until it got
stolen two years ago.

I also have a 4x5 Super Speed Graphic with the standard 135mm lens and more
assorted doodads.

My tripod is a Bogen 3021 with 3047 head. It's a bit heavy, but plenty
sturdy, even with the Speed Graphic. I use a Luna-Pro light meter and
have been very happy with it.

I'm currently considering various relatively low-budget medium format
options.
Old February 14th 05, 02:58 PM
Chris Brown

In article , True211 wrote:
I'm often impressed by much of the gear that various participants in this
group post about. I have a very modest setup, but nonetheless I'd like to
share it, and hear what everyone else has in their kits.

OK, currently:

35mm

Voigtlander Bessa-R
35mm f/2.5 Voigtlander Color Skopar
90mm f/4.0 Leica Elmar (the one true Leica snobs hate because it's a clone
of the Tessar)

Digital

Canon EOS 10D
Canon 14mm f/2.8 fisheye
Canon 20-35mm (can't remember the aperture ramge atm)
Canon 28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 300mm f/4.0 L IS USM
Canon 1.4x teleconvertor

My wife has the EOS 300D, as well as the kit lens

Medium format

Rolleiflex 3.5E Xenotar
Yashica Mat 124G
Zeiss Ikoflex II with f/3.5 Tessar
Agfa Isolette I Solinar
Agfa Record III Apotar
Agilux Agifold Mk III
Ensign Selfix 820 with f/3.8 Ross Xpress
Mamiya 7 rangefinder + 43mm f/4.5 lens

Looking to sell the Record and the Yashica though.
Old February 15th 05, 12:40 AM
Duncan J Murray

Bodies:
Pentax Super-A
(What a gorgeous camera! I absolutely love it, looks extra swanky in its
new lowepro slr case)

Lenses:
35-70mm F3.5
(lovely lens - nice warm colours, but I long for a 24mm and 50mm)

Flash:
Pentax AF240Z
(nice smooth coverage)

Compacts:
If I had any money, I'd buy another lens!

Duncan.

P.S. My wishlist:
24mm SMC-A
50mm f1.4 SMC-A
A chunky manfrotto tripod (they're so expensive!)
Someone to clean my viewfinder
A 90mm to round off the lens collection.