Digital Black and White...

Old February 7th 05, 12:20 PM
Bill Williams

Default Digital Black and White...

OK, got my Olympus Evolt with enough lenses for my needs. I have had P&S
digital cameras (have two now), but mostly snapshooting with them.

When I used film, I always enjoyed black and white photography. I used to
develop and print when I could.

Soooooooooooo, does anybody have good hints as to how to do black and white
in digital? I assume filters work the same? Do black and white photos from
digital differ dramatically from those from film? Any and all hints are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old February 7th 05, 01:22 PM
Chris Myers

Hi Bill,

There¹s a lot of things to be found by googling ³digital black and white²
but here¹s a good place to start.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...w_better.shtml

Good luck!

CM

Old February 7th 05, 01:48 PM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:20:12 GMT, Bill Williams
wrote:

OK, got my Olympus Evolt with enough lenses for my needs. I have had P&S
digital cameras (have two now), but mostly snapshooting with them.

When I used film, I always enjoyed black and white photography. I used to
develop and print when I could.

Soooooooooooo, does anybody have good hints as to how to do black and white
in digital? I assume filters work the same? Do black and white photos from
digital differ dramatically from those from film? Any and all hints are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Look up Roy Harrington and QuadTone RIP.

Also check out this Yahoo group:

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 7th 05, 02:16 PM
David Adams

Digital Black and White...I have read up on this photoshop process and its reputibly the best way of doing it, from what I read you seperate out the individual colour channels and then you can balance it better when black and white .

Yet to try it but there was a lot of info onlne if you do a search on google or something. about a 7 step process so nothing mega time consumng.

"A.P." wrote in message ...

"Bill Williams" wrote in message ...
OK, got my Olympus Evolt with enough lenses for my needs. I have had P&S digital cameras (have two now), but mostly snapshooting with them.

When I used film, I always enjoyed black and white photography. I used to develop and print when I could.

Soooooooooooo, does anybody have good hints as to how to do black and white in digital? I assume filters work the same? Do black and white photos from digital differ dramatically from those from film? Any and all hints are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am an amature , but i once read the pro says you shall take your pic's in COLOR and
use i.e. Adobe Photoshop to make postprosess B&W's , because you can make
better (artisticaly) B&H's if you separate the colore-channels and manipulate them,
insdead of just doing a siple 'convert to gray' or 'desaturate'
(Which is what the 'on-cam B&W algorithm' does ? )

I have not walked this path, (not doing B&W) but it makes sense
after seeing all that can be done in Photshop :-)

AP

Old February 7th 05, 06:19 PM
RSD99

Go to Russell Brown's site and download the file(s) for " Seeing in Black &
White"
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Then go to Jeff Alu's site and read through his how-to
http://www.animalu.com/pics/photos.htm
http://www.animalu.com/pics/process.htm

Old February 7th 05, 07:34 PM
Toomas

I use Virtual Photographer filter.
Usually enough for me. If not other posters=20
give hints to find how to do it in Photoshop.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp

Toomas

"Bill Williams" wrote in message =
OK, got my Olympus Evolt with enough lenses for my needs. I have had =

P&S
digital cameras (have two now), but mostly snapshooting with them.
=20

Old February 7th 05, 10:08 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Bill Williams writes:

OK, got my Olympus Evolt with enough lenses for my needs. I have had P&S
digital cameras (have two now), but mostly snapshooting with them.

When I used film, I always enjoyed black and white photography. I used to
develop and print when I could.

Soooooooooooo, does anybody have good hints as to how to do black and
white in digital? I assume filters work the same? Do black and white
photos from digital differ dramatically from those from film? Any and all
hints are appreciated.

Shoot in color. Use the channel mixer in photoshop to produce B&W
when that's what you need. You can apply color filters at that stage,
rather than having to have the right one in the right size in the
field and think of putting it on the camera.

If you're seriously interested in prints, look into quadtone printing,
via piezography if you're timid, or striking out on your own with
various inksets if you're adventurous.