Surprised at Adorama!

Old January 30th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Default Surprised at Adorama!

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting g

Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I remember
he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
at than the turds.

but this is my favorite:
'A Short History of America' (up to 30 years ago):
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...crumbpart1.jpg
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...umb_partii.jpg

and the next few hundred years:
http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
interest in Crumb's work.

Old January 30th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:38:39 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .

My son just ordered a Nikon from Adorama yesterday. Shipping was
$6-something. What was a surprise was the price, though. The website
says $599, but the price on the telephone was $509.90. They said it
would be billed at $509.90 if ordered on the web even though the web
listed price was higher.

Just to check, I went to B&H's website and the price is $599. On the
phone I was quoted $509.90.

All I can figure out is that Nikon controls what the advertised price
is, but the dealer can offer a better price. Dunno, though.

Tony, was that by any chance a D60?

Nope. D40 with 18/55 and 55/200. INKD40k2A. Still shows at $596.95.

I just bought one of those myself at about $510, with free shipping. This
was from Amazon, which wouldn't give the price in their ad (the "put it in
your cart to see the price" business). So I assume from that that Nikon's
dropped the price -- maybe closing 'em out? -- but doesn't want the lower
price advertised.

Adorama asks if you want to buy filters, spare battery, etc, but they
don't push. Very efficient people to deal with.

Yes indeed. A good place to do business. And they offer free shipping on a
lot of smaller items, cases etc., that makes them even more attractive.

First order I'd placed with Adorama. I've purchased cameras from Ritz
and Abe's of Maine, but not Adorama before.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 30th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
. ..

My son just ordered a Nikon from Adorama yesterday. Shipping was
$6-something. What was a surprise was the price, though. The website
says $599, but the price on the telephone was $509.90. They said it
would be billed at $509.90 if ordered on the web even though the web
listed price was higher.

Just to check, I went to B&H's website and the price is $599. On the
phone I was quoted $509.90.

All I can figure out is that Nikon controls what the advertised price
is, but the dealer can offer a better price. Dunno, though.

Tony, was that by any chance a D60?

Nope. D40 with 18/55 and 55/200. INKD40k2A. Still shows at $596.95.

Wow, with both lenses that was a fantastic price!

I just bought one of those myself at about $510, with free shipping. This
was from Amazon, which wouldn't give the price in their ad (the "put it in
your cart to see the price" business). So I assume from that that Nikon's
dropped the price -- maybe closing 'em out? -- but doesn't want the lower
price advertised.

Adorama asks if you want to buy filters, spare battery, etc, but they
don't push. Very efficient people to deal with.

Yes indeed. A good place to do business. And they offer free shipping on a
lot of smaller items, cases etc., that makes them even more attractive.

First order I'd placed with Adorama. I've purchased cameras from Ritz
and Abe's of Maine, but not Adorama before.

Other places I've found extremely reliable are Amazon.com, BuyDig.com and
BeachCamera.com. I don't think there's any one place that *always* has the
best price, so I shop around. You certainly did well on that D40.

Old January 30th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:10:36 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting g

Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I remember
he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
at than the turds.

Crumb is recognized as an artist and illustrator. The Institute for
Contemporary Art in Philadelphia held a major exhibition of his work.
A movie was made about his life, and a movie was made featuring his
creations.

His choice of subject matter is controversial, but look at Robert
Mapplethorpe's work. The Corcoran canceled a Mapplethorpe exhibition
because of the subject matter. A book containing Mapplethorpe
photographs was deemed to be obscene in the UK.

Paul has a different idea of what is "disgusting" than what I do.

but this is my favorite:
'A Short History of America' (up to 30 years ago):
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...crumbpart1.jpg
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...umb_partii.jpg

and the next few hundred years:
http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
interest in Crumb's work.

Not so much for the printed material.
http://www.undergroundcollectibles.c...id/0/id/354258
shows you can buy a comic book by Crumb for $12.

A signed original, though, would be a different story.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 30th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

Actually, it was my son who bought the D40. I suggested certain
vendors (Ritz, B&H, Adorama, Abe's of Maine), that he get the VR
version of the 55/200, did some calling for him, and found the pricing
for him. He actually placed the order. I bought my D40 from Ritz a
year ago. Same combo, but I paid $599 and got a bag (that I don't
use) with it.

I bought a laptop from BuyDig and an external hard drive from New Egg.
Both Christmas gifts for my kids. Both good online sellers. I do
tend to shop around for deals, but I limit my shopping to vendors
known for their reputation.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 30th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
.. .

Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting g

Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I
remember
he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
at than the turds.

Crumb is recognized as an artist and illustrator. The Institute for
Contemporary Art in Philadelphia held a major exhibition of his work.
A movie was made about his life, and a movie was made featuring his
creations.

Interesting. I'm not really surprised, as I always thought him a creative
artist.

[...]

That's not too bad. I've never really been into comics collecting, but a
friend of mine was a dealer in the so-called Golden Age and Silver Age stuff
(not underground types) and I know he sold a lot of comics from that period
for less than that. Of course, the Crumb comics must be relatively rare,
compared to the usual superhero types.

A signed original, though, would be a different story.

I'm sure.

Old January 30th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I bought mine with the kit lens only about the time it came out, so paid the
full $600. I knew the price would come down soon but wanted to use it at the
Christmas family get-together, particularly to show a nephew of mine who
didn't yet have a DSLR. By the time he bought his a few months later, it was
under $530 -- again, with just the kit lens.

I bought a laptop from BuyDig and an external hard drive from New Egg.
Both Christmas gifts for my kids. Both good online sellers. I do
tend to shop around for deals, but I limit my shopping to vendors
known for their reputation.

Yes, New Egg is great too; that's where I buy most of my computer parts.
Buy.com is also very good, though usually not so fast shipping and they only
rarely have good buys on cameras.

Old January 31st 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:

[...]

I like his disgusting stuff, just making clear that's how a lot of it
appears :-)

but this is my favorite:
'A Short History of America' (up to 30 years ago):
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...crumbpart1.jpg
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...umb_partii.jpg

and the next few hundred years:
http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
interest in Crumb's work.

Not so much for the printed material.
http://www.undergroundcollectibles.c...id/0/id/354258
shows you can buy a comic book by Crumb for $12.

A signed original, though, would be a different story.

The numbered prints at that link sold for $2,500 fifteen years ago.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 31st 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

and the next few hundred years:
http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

The numbered prints at that link sold for $2,500 fifteen years ago.

That link. And it looks like they were originally $250, but 10x that for
the last one this site sold.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net