Suggestion--keep your camera manual in the bathroom

Old January 9th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Laurence Payne

Default Suggestion--keep your camera manual in the bathroom

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 02:28:30 GMT, King Sardon
wrote:

I read the manual exhaustively while choosing what new camera to buy.
You calling me abnormal?

Yes you are, but you are to be commended.

How else do you make a buying decision?

Are you implying that most people read the manual off the monitor
before buying cameras??

I'm not implying anything. I'm stating that, as that facility is
available, it's foolish not to use it. How else do you choose a
camera? By appearance? :-)
Old January 9th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

wrote:

I read the manual exhaustively while choosing what new camera to buy.
You calling me abnormal?

Yes you are, but you are to be commended.

How else do you make a buying decision?

Are you implying that most people read the manual off the monitor
before buying cameras??

I'm not implying anything. I'm stating that, as that facility is
available, it's foolish not to use it. How else do you choose a
camera? By appearance? :-)

I go to Dpreview and understand what the camera has to offer, then see
what those who've already bought the camera have to say.
Reading the manual, to me, is a good way to see *how* to do what the
camera offers, but I won't spend the time doing that until I have the
camera.
YMMV, of course.

--
Civil rights used to be about
treating everyone the same.
Old January 9th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 02:44:06 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:38:20 -0800, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

It's often said that the manual is not worth the
paper it's printed on.

Who by?

I have seen some where that definitely applied..
I particularly enjoy the ones translated from Chinese/Japanese by 10
year old workers. Very amusing.
Not too useful, though.

I always thought they were translated from Japanese to English by
Laplanders who understood neither, but used phrase books.

Old January 9th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:38:20 -0800, Phil Wheeler

It's often said that the manual is not worth the
paper it's printed on.

Who by?

Mostly people who get to, ah, exclusively /experience/ Microsoft's
online help.

Or people buying today's computer games.

I remember the Good Old Times(tm), when a manual was a manual and
often enough a 300 page softcover book, well written and organized.
For a /game/. Which came with a tutorial and everything, too.
With extensive background information, and maybe even a novella
set to the games' universe.

-Wolfgang
Old January 9th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Wolfgang Weisselberg :
Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:38:20 -0800, Phil Wheeler

It's often said that the manual is not worth the
paper it's printed on.

Who by?

Mostly people who get to, ah, exclusively /experience/ Microsoft's
online help.

Note that O'Neil's publishers produce a series called _The
Missing Manual_ to provide what *should* have come with various flavors
of Windows. And -- they make enough profit from that to keep the series
going. (Of course, they publish a lot of other very good computer and
computer language manuals and guides, starting from the "nutshell"
series of guides for unix.) If unix has a problem in terms of manuals,
it is an overwhelming *surplus* of information (most of it available at
the command line), so condensed guides are helpful to those starting
with unix.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old January 10th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Phil Wheeler wrote:
King Sardon wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:39:08 +0000, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:19:49 GMT, King Sardon
wrote:

I read the manual exhaustively while choosing what new camera to buy.
You calling me abnormal?
Yes you are, but you are to be commended.
How else do you make a buying decision?

Are you implying that most people read the manual off the monitor
before buying cameras??

I do .. and keep a pdf of it in my laptop: Easier to find info when
needed.

Phil

As do I. How about that, two smart people in the world....

Three. My hard drives are loaded with camera manuals. Cameras I own, or used
to own, or almost owned, or was just casually thinking of owning.

Neil

Old January 10th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ . . . ]

Note that O'Neil's publishers produce a series called _The
Missing Manual_

O'Reilly is the publisher. Who's O'Neil? ;-)

Neil