How do you edit an icon in one of the Windows system DLLs?

Old June 17th 20, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Arlen Holder[_6_]

Default How do you edit an icon in one of the Windows system DLLs?

SUMMARY:
o https://i.postimg.cc/rwxdSpv6/icon13.jpg

As always, the value of Usenet is greatest when the OP summarizes the
results, where we've, together, concluded these are the most highly
recommended freeware programs for extracting, creating, & modifying Windows
icons, for use with your own shortcuts, batch files, and TARGET lines.

C:\software\editor\icon\{foldermarker, greenfish, icofx, iconexplorer,
jsware_iconextr, quickany2ico, resourcehacker}
As shown in this screenshot below taken just now:
o https://i.postimg.cc/rwxdSpv6/icon13.jpg

As always, the thread proceeded the way Usenet was designed to work:
1. The OP searched, tested, & then posted a question asking for help
2. Purposefully helpful people offered their advice and experiences
3. The OP tested all viable suggestions & solved the stated problems.

Then the OP summarized (and updated) as needed, the results of the test,
always including annotated screenshots, links, log files, and experience.

To further flesh out the permanent Usenet record, not only for now, but for
all users to find in the future, here are the most often suggested free
tools (most of which were tested by the OP & reported on in the posts):
o *foldermarker*
http://foldermarker.com/FolderMarker_Free.exe
o *greenfish*
http://www.greenfishsoftware.org/gfie.php
o *icofx* (last known good version is 1.6.4)
https://www.icofx.ro/downloads.html
o *icon explorer*
https://www.mitec.cz/iconex.html
o jsware *iconextr*
https://www.jsware.net/jsware/zips/iconex.zip
o quick *any2ico*
https://www.carifred.com/quick_any2ico/
o *resource hacker*
http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Given the purpose of Usenet is not only to learn, but to disseminate
knowledge, please improve, so that everyone benefits from every post.
--
Helpful advice lowers the high expense of freeware by decreasing its cost.
Old June 17th 20, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 16:12:21 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

| Why in the world would you want to do so.
|
| Icons are useful for HUMAN interactions with files on a computer.
|
| DLLs are not files with which the user ever needs to interact directly.

On Windows, system DLLs house most of the system
icons. Many of them are in shell32.dll. Thus the idea of
editing them.

Notice how _sure_ of his knowledge, Alan Baker is, where he's clearly in
the left side of Quadrant I, Dunning-Kruger (i.e., he is so ignorant, that
he doesn't have a clue how ignorant he really is).

He's a twin brother of Diesel, for example, and yet, even Diesel doesn't
stalk like Alan Baker stalks people.

While, time and again, Alan Baker proves he doesn't even own the most basic
of adult cognitive skills, that's not why he's a truly dangerous person.

Just for the permanent Usenet record to record, there are only two people,
in two decades, I needed to plonk, Snit, and this Alan Baker guy.

It isn't so much that (I estimate) Alan Baker's IQ is around 40 that caused
me to add him to my killfiles, but that he's stalking me around the net,
from newsgroup to newsgroup, where he literally scares me how much he
stalks me.

Again, it's not just that he's stupid (as his own posts prove how stupid he
really is), nor that his posts prove that he's a worthless piece of ****
(since many people have never once in their lives posted any value to
Usenet)... but that he's a psychopathic stalker.
--
Some people, like Alan Baker, are truly dangerous psychopathic morons.
Old June 18th 20, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
R.Wieser

Arlen,

Notice how _sure_ of his knowledge, Alan Baker is, where he's
clearly in the left side of Quadrant I, Dunning-Kruger (i.e., he is
so ignorant, that he doesn't have a clue how ignorant he really is).

Oh lolz! The pot calling the kettle black. :-D

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Old June 18th 20, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:58:04 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

Oh lolz! The pot calling the kettle black. :-D
Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Hi Rudy Wieser,

You are well known to never post with purposefully helpful intent...
o And you yet again, prove my analysis of you correct, with this post.

Given the worthless pieces of **** have begun to infest this thread now
that the heavy work has been accomplished...

Here is an additional value-added summary which was purposefully helpfully
suggested by John C over in the a.c.f newsgroup earlier this morning:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/2MwGkAqtjhM/v1Scw8itBAAJ

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 00:04:19 -0700, John C. wrote:

Also, instead of posting a link to a picture that showed some folder
names that people might or might not be able to use to figure out which
programs you're referring to, the tradition in this newsgroup
(alt.comp.freeware) has always been to post a message with (a) brief
description(s) of the programs you're referring to along with links to
their home pages at the very least.

Given I'm always all about not only striving to add value with every post
o But also about improving the solution summary for everyone to benefit

Here's the result of what John C. just asked me to write for the team:
o Where keeping the description to a single line is the hard work!

*Folder Marker*
o Change folder icon or color by one mouse click. Label folders.
http://foldermarker.com/en/

*Greenfish* Icon Editor Pro
o Image editor for creating icons, cursors, animations & icon libraries.
http://www.greenfishsoftware.org/gfie.php

*Ico FX* (last known freeware version is 1.6.4, available on the net)
o Image editor for icon creation, extraction & editing (incl. transparency)
Canonical site: https://www.icofx.ro/
v1.6.4: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page40.html#IcoFX

*Icon Explorer*
o Recursive search & extract icons (single or en masse) on your system.
https://www.mitec.cz/iconex.html

JSWare *iconextr*
o VBScript by Mayayana, to extract icons from PE files (EXE, DLL, etc.)
https://www.jsware.net/jsware/scrfiles.php5#iconextr

Quick *Any2Ico*
o Extracts icon files from any file, folder or resource (plus minor edits).
https://www.carifred.com/quick_any2ico/

*Resource Hacker*
o General purpose resource compiler & decompiler (e.g., it extracts icons).
http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

While I am happy to provide this improvement, so that all benefit from
every action, if you have further _purposefully helpful_ suggestions,
please do so (such that all benefit, always, from every action).
--
Nothing I post is by accident; the overall strategy is always to add value.
Old June 18th 20, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
R.Wieser

Arlen,

I just noticed that I could read that "Here's the result of what John C.
just asked me to write for the team:" a bit differently. Alas, it would
still make it a lie.

There is no "team" you are writing for. And yeah, I was gullible enough to
think you where actually talking about a real team of people (as part of a
company or not) in which you would be a valued coworker. I found that
hard to believe, but miracles still do exist.

But no, you just got asked to make your references a bit clearer, and you
try to play that of as some kind of major accomplishment, one I should in
awe of to how much value it added to the usenet community.

Its isn't, I'm not and it doesn't. Its just a very simple list of links
that /anyone/ could have googled for himself.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Old June 19th 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Arlen Holder[_6_]

Rudy Wieser always proves my point for me that he has never even once in
his entire life posted with purposefully helpful intent to add value to
_any_ thread topic.

All Rudy _can_ do, is complain that he can't click on a simple link.
o And he complains that he can't even follow a step-by-step tutorial

Notice, Rudy Wieser's so called "input" is always worthless such that I
ignore anything he posts elsewhere (i.e., not in threads that I care come
to an answer).

Unfortunately, Rudy Wieser even infests threads where we're trying to add
value, following me around Usenet like a lost puppy sniffing my ass crack
always constantly complaining that the value added isn't good enough...

And yet... Rudy himself proved me right that he's utterly worthless!
a) *Rudy Wieser can't even _click_ on a link properly, and, worse*
b) *Rudy Wieser cant' even follow a step-by-step cut-and-paste tutorial!*

No wonder he's well characterized as a worthless piece of ****.
o He has _never_ added value to _any_ thread, in his entire life.

As for Mayayana, I'm not sure he & Rudy apparently confuse a simple link
with the concept of "google groups", but I do agree that most people are
"confused" because Google seems to archive "google groups" and "Usenet"
similarly.

I'm sure most people here are familiar with the history of that, where we
used to refer to dejanews links, until Google took it over.

Now we refer to "tinyurl" or "google" or "narkive" links
o But even so, they're simply links to these Usenet threads.

Nothing more; nothing less - they're simply a URL that you click on.
o For example...

r.p.d
o http://tinyurl.com/rec-photo-digital
o http://rec.photo.digital.narkive.com

a.c.f
o http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-freeware
o http://alt.comp.freeware.narkive.com

a.c.o.w-10
o http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10
o http:/alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com
etc.
--
There are only 2 kinds of people on Usenet - those who add value - and
those who never have (i.e., they can't). Rudy Wieser is of the latter type.
Old June 19th 20, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
R.Wieser

Arlen,

Rudy Wieser always proves my point for me that he has never
even once in his entire life posted with purposefully helpful intent
to add value to _any_ thread topic.

Why don't you try to prove that ? Just find /all/ my messages and
describe, for each and every one of them how it was not helpful to the
intended recipient of that post. Good luck. :-)

Kiddo, don't you realise by now that "never", "always", "noone", "everyone"
and other indications like those are rather easy to break ? Just a
*single one* opposing it, and you fall flat on your face.

As for such a "single one" ? You already got one of them in this thread,
and a few others in others of your threads. That you categorically refuse
to take any of my (or any one elses) help is not any of my doing, now is it
?

Unfortunately, Rudy Wieser even infests threads where we're
trying to add value,

Who is that "we" you keep using ? You sure ain't no royalty, and all others
are just data suppliers to you, whom you discard as soom as they have done
what you needed them for.

following me around Usenet like a lost puppy sniffing my ass
crack

Why would I need to follow you ? You keep crapping in /lots/ of
newsgroups, some of which I happen to frequent.

always constantly complaining that the value added isn't
good enough...

Do you think it is ?

From your list posted here at Wed, 17 Jun 2020 01:01:08 -0000 (UTC)

o *Tutorial for modifying icons inside common Windows system DLLs*
Is a lie.

o *Tutorial with details to properly set {batch,shortcut,target} icons*
Lands at a thread named " Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering"
IN THE ALT.MSDOS.BATCH NEWSGROUP, rambling about all kinds if things.

There is /so much/ crap in there. Like claiming that shortcuts to batch
files are somehow special. All I do is to rightclick-and-hold, move the
mouse to a bit different spot and than release.- after which I'm asked if I
would want to make a shortcut. I do, and thats it. Than again, it might
be different on W10 ... (see what I did there? Sneaky, ain't I ?)

As for your trick #4 thru #6 ? They do not even contain any suggestions to
try, so certainy no tricks either.

o *Tutorial to find all icons hidden inside common Windows executables &
DLLs*
I'm not sure what it does, but there is not more in there than a listing of
DLLs that should contain icons.

As for how to look inside them ? Just create a shortcut from some file,
rightclick - properties - click "change icon" and than select any
executable, dll or any of the several other types of files you want to take
a peek in. Whooo! I just made /another/ tutorial ! Two fricking lines
and I'm /again/ king of the world, just like you !

But seriously, besides throwing batch examples in there - which have zero to
do with anything - you already go flat on your face in the first step "001
Create test.bat & test to ensure it works". I do not see any contents
defined for that batchfile, so *I guess* it stays empty. But if that is so,
what is there to test ? Fail.

Than "002 Copy test.bat to test.exe (which can be deleted later, if
desired)" Whut? why ? What goed does that do ? Remember, you have
named that a TUTORIAL, not a "blindly follow what I say list". So, where is
your tutoring ? What is the reader supposed to /learn/ there ?

Need I go on ? I don't think so.

o *Where to find thousands of free open source mobile device related icons*
Not a tutorial. Just a "look here for icons for IOS link"

o *The unintuitive syntax to set a shortcut TARGET line to multiple
commands*
This is a funny one: It links to the question to how to do it, cause you
could not get the "&" to work. Not quite a tutorial, wouldn't you agree ?

I think I can go thru pretty-much all of them in the above way, but I think
I've made my point.

And yet... Rudy himself proved me right that he's utterly worthless!

Ofcourse.

a) *Rudy Wieser can't even _click_ on a link properly, and, worse*

:-) You where able to read what my problem with (your) GG links was/is, and
you try to twist it into /that/ ? Come on, you can do better than that.

b) *Rudy Wieser cant' even follow a step-by-step cut-and-paste tutorial!*

Well, why don't you show me one of those tutorials of yours ? 'Cause
currently I can't say that I have seen any. Not in the list I referred to
in the above, nor anywhere else in the newsgroups I frequent. But, I'm
sure you have posted in other newsgroups too (like where you have that
"team" of yours), so there still is a chance.

o He has _never_ added value to _any_ thread, in his entire life.

I /think/ I already said something about that ... Yeah, I'm quite certain
about it.

As for Mayayana, I'm not sure he & Rudy apparently confuse
a simple link with the concept of "google groups",

Well duh! /Ofcourse/ I mix those up, just like everyone else. Like I also
never have gotten the hang of what the difference between an orange and
aluminium is. They are /so easy/ to mix up, don't you agree? Or dogs and
chesnut trees. Never figured that out either.

Kiddo, you really are a piece of work. Keep fantasizing, 'cause that is
the only thing you seem to be good at. Hey, maybe you could earn good money
by becoming a fantasy book writer ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Old June 20th 20, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 23:34:35 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

Why don't you try to prove that ?

Hi Rudy,

It's trivial to prove you can't ever add value to the thread topic.
o What on-topic _value_ did you add to _this_ icon-editing thread, Rudy?

HINT: None.
--
Only 2 kinds of people are on Usenet: Those adding value & those who can't.
Old June 20th 20, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware
Alan Baker[_2_]

On 2020-06-19 10:17 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 23:34:35 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

Why don't you try to prove that ?

Hi Rudy,

It's trivial to prove you can't ever add value to the thread topic.

And yet, you didn't.

Old June 20th 20, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On 20 Jun 2020 10:40:30 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

Sigh! There you go again, adding value to the thread! Can you please
stop doing that!

Frank,

Can you, Frank Slootweg, post ADDED value to the thread topic, or not?

This thread is classic, in that it followed a classic Q&A path:
1. The OP ran tests, and asked specific well-documented questions
2. The OP followed through on all viable suggestions by adults
3. The OP posted a SOLUTION that works for everyone

All that took hours of effort, but which added tribal knowledge & value.

Now that the hard work is done, you trolls have infested this thread.
1. People like Rudy do zero work (they can't even click on the links!)
2. They complain about tutorials where they can't even cut and paste!
3. Worthless pieces of ****, like you Frank, begin to infest the thread.

You and I go way back where, unlike Rudy or Alan Baker, at times I've seen
you actually add value on Usenet (e.g., you found pcbanter for us, as I
recall, and you helped a lot about SMTP Android server port 445 issues).

And yet, the main types of people you communicate best with, Frank...
o Are worthless pieces of **** trolls like Rudy Wieser and Alan Baker

Think about that Frank - as you _identify_ with people like Rudy & Alan.
o And yet, the fact remains you still added _zero_ value to this thread.

In your _next_ post, Frank, please see if you "can" add adult on-topic
technical value to this thread topic, Frank.

The real question for you to ponder, Frank, is...
o Are you adult enough to do something as simple as that, Frank?

Given the OP clearly spent hours, and you clearly spent mere seconds...
o Can you, Frank Slootweg, post ADDED value to the thread topic, or not?
--
Trolls come out in force to infest a thread AFTER the hard work is done.