Introduction to Lith Printing

Old January 30th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Introduction to Lith Printing

Can anyone recommend a starting point if I was interested in lith
printing? I have developed and printed b&W before, but would like to
know more about lith printing.

Are the chemicals more expensive, it is possible to purchase "kits", I
am based in the UK.

Thanks, Abi

Old January 30th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

http://www.lithprint.com/

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 31st 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a starting point if I was interested in lith
printing? I have developed and printed b&W before, but would like to
know more about lith printing.

Are the chemicals more expensive, it is possible to purchase "kits", I
am based in the UK.

Thanks, Abi

Many, many ( many!) years ago, I did some playing with Kodalith material. I
used the Kodalith A-B developer to get black-and-white (no gray tones)
images. I also used Kodak Dektol (paper developer) to get very high contrast
images.

The Kodak material could be handled similarly to b&w enlarging paper. I made
enlargements on it with enlarger exposures nearly the same as with paper.

An interesting thing you can try is to make a 'lith print in a convenient
size, preferably of a contrasty subject. Take that lith print, and contact
print it onto another sheet of lith film. You now have a positive, and a
negative. Sandwich the two together, ever so slightly out of register. Print
that on photo paper, probably as a contact print, because it will be very
dense. (Or make yet a third 'lith from which to print.) You will get an
overall gray image with areas of different densities outlined.

--
Ken Hart

Old January 31st 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:
Can anyone recommend a starting point if I was interested in lith
printing? I have developed and printed b&W before, but would like to
know more about lith printing.

Are the chemicals more expensive, it is possible to purchase "kits", I
am based in the UK.

Thanks, Abi

Get the Fotospeed Lith starter kit. Includes chemicals, 10 sheets of
paper suitable for lith as well as some basic instructions. See
www.fotospeed.com/lith.htm. Also available from most online suppliers
such as www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk, www.novadarkroom.com, etc.
Tim Rudman's book is still available but it's a bit out of date now.
Most of the papers he mentions are no longer available or have changed
their formulation. Still, it's a very interesting read.

Mike
Old January 31st 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Mike wrote:

Tim Rudman's book is still available but it's a bit out of date now.
Most of the papers he mentions are no longer available or have changed
their formulation. Still, it's a very interesting read.

I forgot to mention that Fotospeed do a special offer if you buy Tim
Rudman's Lith printing book with their Lith starter kit. See
www.fotospeed.com for details.

Mike
Old February 1st 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article .com,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

wrote:
Can anyone recommend a starting point if I was interested in lith
printing? I have developed and printed b&W before, but would like to
know more about lith printing.

Are the chemicals more expensive, it is possible to purchase "kits", I
am based in the UK.

Thanks, Abi

A good place to start is with Tim Rudman's book on Alternative
printing and Lith printing. You can learn some more about them at
http://www.alternativephotography.co...es/art031.html

Also, do a web search for Tim Rudman.

Tim Rudman also has some articles on lith printing on

http://www.unblinkingeye.com

-tony
Old February 3rd 06, 10:52 PM
herb10660 herb10660 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Can anyone recommend a starting point if I was interested in lith
printing? I have developed and printed b&W before, but would like to
know more about lith printing.

Are the chemicals more expensive, it is possible to purchase "kits", I
am based in the UK.

Thanks, Abi
In my recent and limited experience:
Fotospeed LD20 developer is the smallest and most economical pack to get. It has instructions for lith printing supplied.
Most reliable paper for me is Forte Polywarmtone Fibre Based. Get it from silverprint.co.uk. Excellent results every time so far.
Kentmere Kentona and Art Classic are also good but a bit more difficult to control.
Ilford MG warmtone is a lovely paper but don't bother to lith it.
Tim Rudman's book is indispensable, even though the technical info is out of date. He has updated it at: http://www.alternativephotography.co...es/art031.html
There is also his excellent overview: http://www.alternativephotography.co...lithprint.html
A safelight torch is needed to check progress, or in my case, a Jessops red safelight that's not been fixed down.
A CD player in the darkroom makes those 20 minute developing times pass by a bit quicker...
Old February 9th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

After the list of list developers at
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/LithDev/lithdev.html, the notes state that
acetone can be substituted for formaldehyde in the formulas. Would this be a
1:1 substitution by volume?
-Lew