Best P&S digital camera with highest zoom level

Old October 29th 05, 01:40 PM
Danny

Default Best P&S digital camera with highest zoom level

My 79-year-old Mom shocked the heck out of my girlfriend and myself the
other day by saying she would like a simple (point and shoot) digital
camera with a zoom feature similar to my girlfriend's DMC-FZ3 and its
12X optical zoom w/ image stabilization.

My Mom wouldn't like the electronic viewfinder(image in the viewfinder
instead of actual optical view) on the DMC-FZ3 and she would never use
the LCD screen as she is pretty much set in her ways about how one goes
about taking pictures. :-)

Can anyone recommend the easiest(ie Point and Shoot) digital camera
with an optical zoom of at least 10x with image stabilization AND an
optical viewfinder? Anything 3 megapixel or above will be fine as she
won't ever need any prints larger than 8x10.

Thanks in advance.

Danny in Yorktown, VA

Old October 29th 05, 02:02 PM
Daniel Silevitch

On 29 Oct 2005 05:40:20 -0700, Danny wrote:

Can anyone recommend the easiest(ie Point and Shoot) digital camera
with an optical zoom of at least 10x with image stabilization AND an
optical viewfinder? Anything 3 megapixel or above will be fine as she
won't ever need any prints larger than 8x10.

I think all of the superzooms use electronic viewfinders. A brief trawl
through some spec sheets and comparison guides didn't find any with
optical finders.

As for easiest, look for a camera with a Easy/Simple/whatever mode. The
FZ5 (the update of your current camera) has one; I'm not sure off-hand
about its main competitors, the Canon S2IS and Sony H1.

-dms
Old October 30th 05, 06:06 AM
Bob Williams

Danny wrote:

My 79-year-old Mom shocked the heck out of my girlfriend and myself the
other day by saying she would like a simple (point and shoot) digital
camera with a zoom feature similar to my girlfriend's DMC-FZ3 and its
12X optical zoom w/ image stabilization.

My Mom wouldn't like the electronic viewfinder(image in the viewfinder
instead of actual optical view) on the DMC-FZ3 and she would never use
the LCD screen as she is pretty much set in her ways about how one goes
about taking pictures. :-)

Can anyone recommend the easiest(ie Point and Shoot) digital camera
with an optical zoom of at least 10x with image stabilization AND an
optical viewfinder? Anything 3 megapixel or above will be fine as she
won't ever need any prints larger than 8x10.

Thanks in advance.

Danny in Yorktown, VA

Don't pooh-pooh the electronic viewfinder (EVF).
I find it extremely useful because you get exactly what you see in the
finder. Optical finders don't even come close, especially in close-up
Macro mode.
I'll bet that your mom will want to take lots of close ups of flowers
and the EVF is absolutely indispensible. FZ3's Macro mode will let you
get about 2" from the subject. An optical finder would be practically
worthless at this distance. Composing with the full screen is almost as
bad because the screen washes out in bright sunlite. Also 3 MP is plenty
for almost any application she will have. 8x10s....Yes. Posters....No
If she likes the FZ3 get her one, then you know she will be pleased with it.
Bob Williams