Infant Great Horned Owl

Old April 24th 05, 01:09 PM
Ed Medlin

Default Infant Great Horned Owl

Thought I might share some photos of a baby (6 week old) Great Horned Owl
found on the forest floor just across the road from my home. I didn't do any
editing, just downsizing. The eyes are penetrating. It is now at the
Dickinson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. They were glad to take it in. I bet
it's parents are huge. The wingspan of the youth is almost 4ft.

Ed

Old April 24th 05, 03:41 PM
Hannah

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
Thought I might share some photos of a baby (6 week old) Great Horned Owl
found on the forest floor just across the road from my home. I didn't do

any
editing, just downsizing. The eyes are penetrating. It is now at the
Dickinson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. They were glad to take it in. I bet
it's parents are huge. The wingspan of the youth is almost 4ft.

It's a pity we can only imagine how good the photos are.
H.

Old April 24th 05, 04:36 PM
Alan Browne

Ed Medlin wrote:

Thought I might share some photos of a baby (6 week old) Great Horned Owl
found on the forest floor just across the road from my home. I didn't do any
editing, just downsizing. The eyes are penetrating. It is now at the
Dickinson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. They were glad to take it in. I bet
it's parents are huge. The wingspan of the youth is almost 4ft.

And where are these images? Post a link, 'cause this is a "no binaries"
group.

I've seena great horned owl once around here. Big. Sat in tree
motionless for about 20 minutes, then leapt off the limb and glided over
a field at about 5 to 10 feet for a good way before beating wings and
flying away.

Cheers,
Alan
-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 24th 05, 08:51 PM
Jer

Ed Medlin wrote:
Thought I might share some photos of a baby (6 week old) Great Horned Owl
found on the forest floor just across the road from my home. I didn't do any
editing, just downsizing. The eyes are penetrating. It is now at the
Dickinson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. They were glad to take it in. I bet
it's parents are huge. The wingspan of the youth is almost 4ft.

Ed

What's wrong with him/her?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old April 25th 05, 06:33 PM
Ed Medlin

"Hannah" wrote in message

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
Thought I might share some photos of a baby (6 week old) Great Horned Owl
found on the forest floor just across the road from my home. I didn't do

any
editing, just downsizing. The eyes are penetrating. It is now at the
Dickinson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. They were glad to take it in. I
bet
it's parents are huge. The wingspan of the youth is almost 4ft.

It's a pity we can only imagine how good the photos are.
H.

http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/infant_great_horned_owl LOL..........sorry
folks. I bet it would be nice to actually SHARE them.

Ed

Old April 25th 05, 06:36 PM
Ed Medlin

"Jer" wrote in message
Ed Medlin wrote:
Thought I might share some photos of a baby (6 week old) Great Horned Owl
found on the forest floor just across the road from my home. I didn't do
any editing, just downsizing. The eyes are penetrating. It is now at the
Dickinson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. They were glad to take it in. I
bet it's parents are huge. The wingspan of the youth is almost 4ft.

Ed

What's wrong with him/her?

--
jer

http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/infant_great_horned_owl Is the link to the
pics. The aviary folks said that the mother probably was trying to coax the
chick into flying and it didn't.......... It's flight feathers were not
completely developed. There were no injuries at all to the bird. It was
totally healthy.

Ed

Old April 25th 05, 08:29 PM
Alan Browne

Ed Medlin wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/infant_great_horned_owl LOL..........sorry
folks. I bet it would be nice to actually SHARE them.

He does not look very happy. What was the injury/ is he recovering?

Old April 28th 05, 05:14 PM
Ed Medlin

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Ed Medlin wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/infant_great_horned_owl LOL..........sorry
folks. I bet it would be nice to actually SHARE them.

He does not look very happy. What was the injury/ is he recovering?

No injuries at all. He is fine and is already in the aviary at the zoo.
Horned owls are very aggressive and he would have loved to take a chunk out
of our bodies if he had a chance. They are keeping him separated from the
permanent raptors on display with the hope of possibly reintroducing him
back into the wild. It may be a long shot, but it would be nice. We have a
rather large population of various owls here, so they may just keep him
there IMO.

Ed

Old April 28th 05, 06:37 PM
Alan Browne

Ed Medlin wrote:
permanent raptors on display with the hope of possibly reintroducing him
back into the wild. It may be a long shot, but it would be nice. We have a
rather large population of various owls here, so they may just keep him
there IMO.

I hope he makes it into the wild. These aren't a rare spieces, and
there are more than enough in zoos/aviaries already.

Cheers,
Alan