Infant newbie question ......

Old December 30th 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Infant newbie question ......

On 2012-12-30 08:55:23 -0800, "Steve B" said:

What photography NG is it where binaries are posted?

Steve

alt.binaries.photos.original

Savageduck

Old December 30th 12, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-12-30 08:55:23 -0800, "Steve B" said:

What photography NG is it where binaries are posted?

Steve

alt.binaries.photos.original

There is also nothing wrong with using one of the image sharing sites,
or "cloud" storage sites, such as Dropbox, Google drive, or PogoPlug,
to post examples of your work to the non-binary sites.

Something like this.
http://db.tt/6SuM0WTp

Savageduck

Old December 31st 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-12-30 09:03:19 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-12-30 08:55:23 -0800, "Steve B" said:

What photography NG is it where binaries are posted?

Steve

alt.binaries.photos.original

There is also nothing wrong with using one of the image sharing sites, or
"cloud" storage sites, such as Dropbox, Google drive, or PogoPlug, to post
examples of your work to the non-binary sites.

Something like this.
http://db.tt/6SuM0WTp

Savageduck

Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.

Steve

If your dad flew in that B24 in the SW Pacific, New Guinea, Rabaul,
Bismark Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines, 1943-44, he might well have
had my father flying escort for him.

Savageduck

Old December 31st 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kwincay Ercolinowitz

On 30-Dec-12 19:53, Savage**** wrote:

Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.

Steve

If your dad flew in that B24 in the SW Pacific, New Guinea, Rabaul,
Bismark Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines, 1943-44, he might well have
had my father flying escort for him.

Your father spent most of his time sucking off pilots and massaging Jap
balls whilst letting the gooks cornhole him.
Old December 31st 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
| Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.
|
| If your dad flew in that B24 in the SW Pacific, New Guinea, Rabaul,
| Bismark Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines, 1943-44, he might well have
| had my father flying escort for him.

Interesting. My father was a test pilot on Guam.
He never used to talk about it (and we never
cared to ask him but he talks about it now.
As he approaches the end, that time stands out in
his memory. I think for many in that generation
WW2 was the most alive they ever felt.

Old December 31st 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-12-30 18:59:26 -0800, "Mayayana" said:

| Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
| Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.
|
| If your dad flew in that B24 in the SW Pacific, New Guinea, Rabaul,
| Bismark Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines, 1943-44, he might well have
| had my father flying escort for him.

Interesting. My father was a test pilot on Guam.
He never used to talk about it (and we never
cared to ask him but he talks about it now.
As he approaches the end, that time stands out in
his memory. I think for many in that generation
WW2 was the most alive they ever felt.

Here is my father's squadron, the 9th Fighter Sq. 49th Fighter Group,
in New Guinea in 1944. He is 5th from the left.
http://db.tt/1i11XB3H

....and Dad in his P-38L, also somewhere in New Guinea in 1944.
http://db.tt/TIkmcOpu

He is 89, 90 in July, and in good health.
http://db.tt/sOCXRlPs

Savageduck

Old December 31st 12, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

"Steve B" writes:

"Mayayana" wrote

Interesting. My father was a test pilot on Guam.
He never used to talk about it (and we never
cared to ask him but he talks about it now.
As he approaches the end, that time stands out in
his memory. I think for many in that generation
WW2 was the most alive they ever felt.

I did not have to go to Viet Nam because of a heart condition. Most of the
guys I talked to said the thing that was in the forefront of their mind was
staying alive for XXX more days until their departure date, and never
knowing if the guy who was going to get you was going to be in uniform, or
some twelve year old that just got walked away from a bike bomb with a
timer.

And in WWII, they didn't have "tours" of specific duration, so there
wasn't that clear date to look forward to, even.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old December 31st 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Here is my father's squadron, the 9th Fighter Sq. 49th Fighter Group,
| in New Guinea in 1944. He is 5th from the left.
| http://db.tt/1i11XB3H

That's a nice picture. Very atmospheric.

I guess we know we're getting old when we
start waxing sentimental about WWII.

Old December 31st 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 12/31/12 9:40 AM, in article , "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Here is my father's squadron, the 9th Fighter Sq. 49th Fighter Group,
| in New Guinea in 1944. He is 5th from the left.
| http://db.tt/1i11XB3H

That's a nice picture. Very atmospheric.

I guess we know we're getting old when we
start waxing sentimental about WWII.

The numbers of the participants in WWII are rapidly shrinking as the months
and years pass by. TRULY the "Greatest Generation"!

Duck, tell your Dad "thanks" for his service to the Country. I bet you are a
proud "young" son!

Happy New Year to one and all (with the possible exception of "Tonto" the
bugman - if he still is trolling in here)!!!

Old December 31st 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: That's a nice picture. Very atmospheric.
:
: I guess we know we're getting old when we
: start waxing sentimental about WWII.

You've got that right. WW II is very sentimental to me. I was four years old
when the Pearl Harbor attack occurred and eight when the war ended. Those
pictures the Savage Duck posted the other day were taken on my brother's fifth
birthday. I remember the day the war ended as vividly as if it were last week.

I was too young (obviously) to fight in the war, and my father too old. But
many of my schoolmates' fathers fought in it, and at least one was killed.
When I was in high school, several kids who were slightly older tried to pick
up a few extra $$ by joining the Naval Reserve. Imagine their surprise when
the U.S. decided to bail out the Korean dictatorship, and they found
themselves on active duty. Later when we stupidly intervened in Viet Nam, it
pleased the Government to decide that my "critical skills" made it
inappropriate for me to be part of it. (I knew how to program a computer, a
relative rarity at the time.) But Martha's brother had a ROTC commission from
college, so we sweated every day of his year in combat there.

In the years since, we've fought more unnecessary wars, large and small, than
I can remember. We are, quite simply, the most bellicose nation on earth. My
fondest hope is that my grandchildren won't get sucked in, but common sense
tells me that it's probably a forlorn wish. My only consolation is that, given
my age and theirs, I probably won't be around to see it.

All that aside, the worst thing about getting old is how fast time appears to
pass. (I guess it's because each successive day is a smaller percentage of the
time we've been alive.) There was a time when my artistic idol would have been
Ansel Adams or Alfred Eisenstaedt or Henri Cartier-Bresson. Now it's Anna
Robertson Moses. :^|

Bob