Why use raw?

Old June 21st 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JP

Default Why use raw?

Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either. Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr. I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?
Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg? What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.
a tif saved to 17 megs. Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

Thank you,
JP
Old June 21st 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Jun 20, 9:23 pm, JP wrote:
Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either. Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr. I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?
Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg? What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.
a tif saved to 17 megs. Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

Thank you,
JP

Oh, Gawd, please don't start this debate yet again.

Google is your friend. Either search this group within your
newsserver or go to google groups and search it there. It is a weekly
debate and nothing new is going to be written for a long, long time.
You might as well read the archives. It's cheaper and easier than
therapy. Google is your friend.

Old June 21st 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JP

Pat wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 20, 9:23 pm, JP wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I will. I have been reading but, as you may have
guessed, I'm somewhat early into my education.

You say this is a weekly debate. Either I havn't seen it in months or,
my memory failed me, again. Either is just as likely.

JP
Old June 21st 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Johnson

JP wrote:
Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either. Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr. I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?
Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg? What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.
a tif saved to 17 megs. Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

For me, shooting RAW has allowed me to save photos that were shot with
less than optimal settings. If fact, I have been able to save some
shots that had WAY LESS than optimal camera settings. I also have the
hacked firmware on my 300D so I can shoot a JPG right along with the RAW
file. I then rip out the JPGs with Breeze Browser Pro. It gives me the
best of both formats with the disk space penalty, of course.
Old June 21st 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

JP wrote:
Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either.

Well, when you try unsupported you live on the bleeding edge.

Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr.

And so you got an S3 instead?

I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?
Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg?

Yep. Color balance, exposure tweaking, color saturation, contrast.

What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.

35MB?!? Sheesh. RAW images from my 30D only run about 8MB. But I
suppose that's what you get when you rely upon hacks.

Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

Stick with jpeg.

--
Ray Fischer

Old June 21st 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

JP wrote:
Pat wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 20, 9:23 pm, JP wrote:
[...]

Within last two weeks, certainly. Unfortunately, such "debates" don't
always carry a Subject Line that indicates such.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 21st 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hoshisato

On Jun 21, 2:23 am, JP wrote:
Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either. Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr. I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?
Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg? What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.
a tif saved to 17 megs. Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

Thank you,
JP

See if you can update the Camera Raw for your photoshop; it will
probably include support for the CRW files already.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Old June 21st 07, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"JP" wrote in message
.. .
Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either. Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr. I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?

Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg?

Not really.. but you can get better results from raw as it has more data to
work with.

What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.
a tif saved to 17 megs. Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

Sounds like you need some better firmware on the camera.
Maybe you should forget raw on that firmware and buy a camera with proper
support for raw if you need it.
They may fix the firmware sometime then you can try raw on it.

Old June 21st 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:23:46 -0500, JP wrote:

Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the CHKD
patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only do I get
the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these images. gimp
will now that its patched. The CHKD Wiki it says to use Raw Therapee. It
won't recognize these images either. Playing with a raw file was one of
the reasons I wanted to get a dslr. I'm kinda thinkin, what's the point?
Are there things that can be done to a raw image that can't be done to a
jpg? What file format is best to save them as? The raw is around 35 megs.
a tif saved to 17 megs. Jpgs from the camera save to 2.5-4 megs. I'm not
done beating my brain on this yet but I really think I might need some
counseling.

Thank you,
JP

I've gone to raw pretty much exclusively on my Kodak P850. Why? Because
you can do a lot more with it. You can do much more in terms of exposure
and contrast control that you can with a jpeg. Why is that? Because the
raw has more data to work with - in my case 12 bit channels instead of
eight. I've fiddled a little with High Dynamic Range, and it appears you
can get nearly the same results from one raw image as you can from five
jpegs with 1 stop bracketing. BTW - on my P850 the raw files are about 9mb
while the tiffs are around 17 - I'm told that is because Kodak does
lossless compression on the raw file.

Old June 21st 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
thepixelfreak

On 2007-06-20 18:23:46 -0700, JP said:

Ok so i patched my S3IS. I like some of the tools that came with the
CHKD patch. one is the ability to shoot raw images. so now not only
do I get the jpg but also the crw. photoshop won't recognize these
images. gimp will now that its patched.

Get a Mac. Two native Mac Applications both support RAW. Preview and
iPhoto both support RAW. For that matter, even the Finder (The window
where you can see icons in folders, shows the raw image) supports RAW.
Also, Photoshop has support for RAW. Probably you're too out of date
with Photoshop. There are RAW updates for CS2 and CS3 comes with RAW
support out of the box.

--

thepixelfreak