Photo Sharing Sites

Old May 13th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ggrothendieck

Default Photo Sharing Sites

About 2 years ago I was looking for photo sharing sites and did not
find any that satisfied all my criteria but photos.yahoo.com came
close and I settled on that. Well now they are closing and I need to
move to another site. I would like a site that:

1. lets visitors download any photos on the site in _full_
resolution.

2. allows visitors to view the photos without setting up an account
(its ok if pictures are publicly accessible to anyone).

3. has enough storage for 50 - 200 photos at full resolution.

4. is free.

5. a group of 20-50 people will be viewing photos there so the site
should not have a limitation on downloads per day that is so small
that a group of that size could not download or view the photos within
a short time period.

6. is easy to move to from photos.yahoo.com . Apparently yahoo has
made it easy to transfer photos to the following sites: Flickr, Kodak
Gallery, Shutterfly, Snapfish, and Photobucket. I am not really
familiar with any of them although I seem to remember that I did not
use flickr because of #2 though its possible that that has changed in
the last two years.

Thanks.

Old May 13th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Take another look at flickr. Take a look also at guest passes on
flickr.

--
Joan

oups.com...
:

Old May 13th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry L. Wallis

Joan wrote:
Take another look at flickr. Take a look also at guest passes on
flickr.

I concur. However, wit a free account no one will be able to see the
photos at anything larger than 1024x1024 pixels.

--
- Barry

Old May 13th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hoshisato

On May 13, 12:40 am, ggrothendieck wrote:
[...]

I would recommend Webshots: http://www.webshots.com/ It does
everything you listed.

--
http://hoshisato-travel.blogspot.com/

Old May 13th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_5_]

ggrothendieck wrote:
[...]

I had issues with flickr recently and found http://www.23hq.com/ They
are great, and hit all of your points.
Old May 14th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ggrothendieck

On May 12, 7:40 pm, ggrothendieck wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone. I have had several recommendations of flickr
and one of webshots and one of 23hq .

Regarding 23hq it says there is an upload limit of 30 photos a
month.
Probably years can go by without any uploads but then I will need to
upload a few dozen just after the group gets together so I should have
added
another criterion for that one but was not aware that there were
upload
limits on any sites so didn't think of it.

Joan gave me a link which shows that it is possible to view flickr
photos without signing up. I need to check that out as well as
webshots. I assume that flickr may have an advantage in transferring
photos from Yahoo photos since Yahoo owns both of them.

Thanks.

Old May 14th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Luttrell

On May 12, 4:40 pm, ggrothendieck wrote:
[...]

http://picasaweb.google.com

duh...

mine is http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321

Old May 14th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ggrothendieck

On May 13, 10:01 pm, Luttrell wrote:
On May 12, 4:40 wrote:

[...]

Good idea. I already use picasa on my pc so this would
probably be just as simple to move to as to flickr for me.
You're right about the duh part. I should have thought of it
from the start. I'll check it out.

Old May 15th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Phanfare will do everything you want -- except be free. It's about $50
a year, but a bargain in my opinion. And, if you get friends to become
subscribers (or even people from a newgroup, hint!), you get a free
year of service, so after the first year, it might even meet that
requirement of yours. (I don't think any site can do all you want and
not charge at all.)

They've even added some neat things I wanted, that they didn't have at
first, like the ability for a visitor (if authorized by the owner) to
download an entire album with one click.