Pixma ip5200 optimum resolution

Old March 1st 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Photo Dave

Default Pixma ip5200 optimum resolution

I did a search through the group but didn't see a relevant article for
this printer. It's a 9600 dpi x 2400 dpi printer (color), but in
general I've read that the "sweet spot" for printing for inkjets is
somewhere between 240 and 360 ppi.

Note: I think it's essentially the same as the 5300 which has come out
now in Canada and does allow printing on CDs. (There was a licensing
issue that prevented that feature from being offered before.)

Anyway, my photography teacher said that every printer has an optimum
sweet spot for printing and that posting on a user group was probably
the best way to find out. I imagine that there are other similar
printers in the pixma line where the results would apply to my printer
as well.

Thanks.

David

Old March 1st 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Photo Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
I did a search through the group but didn't see a relevant article for
this printer. It's a 9600 dpi x 2400 dpi printer (color), but in
general I've read that the "sweet spot" for printing for inkjets is
somewhere between 240 and 360 ppi.

Note: I think it's essentially the same as the 5300 which has come out
now in Canada and does allow printing on CDs. (There was a licensing
issue that prevented that feature from being offered before.)

Anyway, my photography teacher said that every printer has an optimum
sweet spot for printing and that posting on a user group was probably
the best way to find out. I imagine that there are other similar
printers in the pixma line where the results would apply to my printer
as well.

Thanks.

David

In that case your teacha shud a' told you dpi and ppi are not quite the same
thing.

Bottom line here is that you should get the best printer you can afford, I
have a 5200R and it is a seriously good printer.

Old March 1st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Pete D wrote:
"Photo Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Your response wasn't much help.
The intent of the OP's question is quite valid.
300dpi is generally recommended for HP and Canon (xxx x 2400 resolution)
360dpi is generally recommended for Epson (xxx x 2880)
I can see a difference with my Epson between resampling to 360dpi before
printing, or allowing the printer driver to resize - it is only slight,
but if you are critical then...
I understand that the latest HP pigment inkjets show considerable
improvement resampling to 600dpi instead of 300dpi, but the file sizes
that you would be dealing with may be inconvenient.
Workflow would be to sharpen (USM) after resampling, and as the final
step in post processing.
Some time and hassle could be saved by using QImage for printing.
Old March 2nd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"frederick" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"Photo Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That may be true but I did not believe that the OP did not actually ask a
question, you may have thought there was intent, I did not see it.

Old March 2nd 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Photo Dave

On Mar 1, 3:22 pm, frederick wrote:
Pete D wrote:
"Photo Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I was asking a question. Anyway,
I gather 300 ppi/dpi (and my teacher did try to explain the
difference) is probably best for my printer. So, that was the
question: what is the optimum resolution? Thanks for your response.
I'll check out that QImage thing.

Old March 8th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

"Photo Dave" wrote in message
ps.com...
SNIP
Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I was asking a question.
Anyway, I gather 300 ppi/dpi (and my teacher did try to
explain the difference) is probably best for my printer. So,
that was the question: what is the optimum resolution?

Most Canon printers use 600 ppi internally (depending on driver
settings for paper choice and quality). If the number of pixels
available for the requested output size is different from 600 ppi, the
driver will do the resampling to 600 ppi.

Thanks for your response. I'll check out that QImage thing.

Qimage will show you what it gets back from interrogating the printer
driver, probably 600 ppi. It will then do a superior resampling to 600
ppi and print it (now unaltered) by the printer driver.

--
Bart