Build quality?

Old February 6th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bart van der Wolf

Default [OT] Build quality?

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
SNIP
I was rather hoping the Dutch would invade over here, and teach a
few lessons along the way.

Nah, our ancestors were only too happy to sell New York to the
Brittish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Stuyvesant .
We try to avoid making the same mistake (of bringing some reform)
again ;-).

--
Bart

Old February 6th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jeremy

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote in message

"jeremy" wrote in message
SNIP
Yes, but I hear that they practice involuntary euthanasia on people
deemed to having medical conditions that make their lives not worth
living.

You've heard wrong, unless you believe some of the misinformation being
spread by some lobbyists in the USA that I've heard on this topic. One can
only hope they are misinformed, rather than having an agenda.

It's more likely something to do with ethics versus dogma, that we allow
people to choose (in a carefully layed out and documented procedure)
between prolonged unbearable suffering which unavoidably leads to death,
and a more humane end of their life (carried out under medical
supervision). There's nothing involuntary about it, it's a personal
documented choice, and doctors can also refuse to cooperate.

--
Bart

I heard that they euthanize deformed babies--with NO input needed from the
parents.

They've opened Pandora's Box, and now there are bound to be abuses.

No matter. The Netherlands are not on my short list for vacationing.

Old February 6th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

"jeremy" wrote in message
[...]

You need to find some different sources. It's not "deformed babies",
it's babies who have no hope of survival and are going to suffer until
they die.

And the practice is widespread, they do it in the US too. It's just
that the Dutch have brought it out of the closet and put regulations
and review procedures in place so it's not a unilateral decision
buried in medical jargon like it is in the US.

They've opened Pandora's Box, and now there are bound to be abuses.

No matter. The Netherlands are not on my short list for vacationing.

I am sure that that is a great comfort to the Dutch.

Old February 6th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
SNIP
I was rather hoping the Dutch would invade over here, and teach a few
lessons along the way.

Nah, our ancestors were only too happy to sell New York to the Brittish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Stuyvesant .
We try to avoid making the same mistake (of bringing some reform) again
;-).

Very interesting bits on him. I worked on Wall Street, avoided
Bedford-Stuyvesant area, and knew of the Bayards, but didn't know it was
his wife's family.

But didn't see much on the "sales price"......

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 7th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bart van der Wolf

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
SNIP
I was rather hoping the Dutch would invade over here, and teach a
few lessons along the way.

Nah, our ancestors were only too happy to sell New York to the
Brittish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Stuyvesant .
We try to avoid making the same mistake (of bringing some reform)
again ;-).

Very interesting bits on him. I worked on Wall Street, avoided
Bedford-Stuyvesant area, and knew of the Bayards, but didn't know it
was his wife's family.

There are many more names in that area of the USA that originate from
that period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Netherland#Legacy

But didn't see much on the "sales price"......

Well it apparently was more a sort of negotiation for the people
living there, allowing them to keep their property and securing
tolerance and religious freedom for all inhabitants. There were a lot
of things that were just let go unsettled, because there were other
(bigger) interests to defend (Suriname in the West had to be defended
from the English, and Indonesia in the East had to be defended from
the Portugese and Spanish).

And there was another attempt to regain control being planned a few
years later..., which failed after the Netherlands also got into war
back home with the English, the French and Germans at the same time,
which proved to be too much to handle.

--
Bart