LCD monitor calibration

Old February 1st 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bryan Olson

Default LCD monitor calibration

[...] I just opted for the default monitor
(samsung 204B 19 inch). I've calibrated it with spyder 2
but it is still very contrasty and I do not like the look of
images.

I use a 20 ince Samsung 204B, which replaced an Iiyama 20"
CRT that developed problems. The 204B is at least as good at
everything except color rendering.

[big snip]
Anyone run a dual monitor
system with two different brands of monitors (I really will only need
one calibrated)?

Yes, and it worked fine. For photo editing, I think there's
a good case for running dual-monitor with a high-res LCD and
a color-calibrated CRT. (Though I have not yet set that up.)

--
--Bryan
Old February 1st 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
wrote in message ...
SNIP
I plan on buying a second monitor. such as a Lacie 321 or
apple cinema for photos, but until then I will use the samsung.

I'm using a Lacie 321 (couldn't afford/justify the EIZO with Adobe RGB
gamut), and like it a lot. It covers almost the same gamut as my prior
Trinitron CRT did, and it is rather insensitive to viewing angle.
There is a slight non uniformity in the black levels but that's
probably inherent to the current technology.

So, for those who calibrate LCD monitors, do you use a gamma of
1.8, 2.2 or something else?

Strictly gamma 2.2, and it calibrates to near perfection with the
EyeOne Pro.

Any other advice/help is appreciated.

I suggest verifying the calibration result with a Gamma evaluation
test
target, like the 2.20 in the left frame from:
http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/evaluation/gamma_space/index.htm
You can also compare with the 2.10 and the 2.30 to see which one is
closer, but the 2.20 should be the aim.

Bart

Old February 1st 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
wrote in message ...
SNIP
For example: this image:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...e_taryall.html
still has blocked up reds on my LCD (see the enlarged flower below
the main image); reds that I could easily discern on my sony crt,
and which print fine on cibachrome and fuji crystal archive papers.
This concerns me.

The Reds are very saturated on my Lacie 321 (similar sRGB gamut to my
prior Trinitron CRT), but not blocked up.

Maybe contrast is not the issue; perhaps its color gamut of the
monitor?

Might well be, since LCDs are quite different from CRTs. As you
presumably know LCDs selectively block light from a uniform backlight,
unlike CRTs which emit light from exited phosphors. That also means
that calibrating to native LCD backlight color temperature will give
the widest gamut, but for ICC conformity, 6500K should not be too much
of a sacrifice.

Are LCDs that much different than CRTs in color gamut (lower)?

Some are, not necessarily your Samsung, but it might.
My Toshiba laptop has issues with Red reproduction, despite
calibration. It is also much more sensitive to viewing angle, so I'll
do my serious color work on the Lacie 321.

But it does make me wonder, with all the uncalibrated monitors out
there,
how people perceive images on web sites.

Most images will look nothing like they were intended to ... :-(
It's not what I would call progress, but it is something to be aware
about.
It can be overcome with the more expensive offerings from NEC/Lacie
and Eizo (Graphic series).

Looking forward to your safari results,
Bart