D70 and Picture Project

Old December 24th 04, 07:52 PM
B&H

Default D70 and Picture Project

Just received my new D70 and am trying to install Picture Project 1.0 on PC with Windows XP Professional. Error message: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows".
Anyone else with this problem? Running AVG and Zone Alarm - could they be implicated?

I am anxious to use my camera, but must download program off of Lexar CP flash card before I can begin. Formatting the disk first will erase program on Lexar CP.

TIA

Old December 24th 04, 09:22 PM
Tom Scales

Ack, do NOT install PP. It's LOUSY.

If you MUST connect to your camera (which I discourage -- buy a decent USB2
card reader), download Nikon View and install it.

PP has what I consider a fatal flaw. If you open and image and change it,
the image is SAVED whether you wanted to or not!

Tom

Old December 24th 04, 11:40 PM
Tom Scales

"muddycat" wrote in message
"Tom Scales" wrote:

If you MUST connect to your camera (which I discourage -- buy a decent
USB2
card reader), download Nikon View and install it.

I second this. You don't really need Nikon View either, you can just
copy the images off the card to the hard disk.

--
Mike

SV650
UKRMMA#22 ICQ#219328929

Yes, I agree, but if he needs access to a card, and doesn't have a card
reader, buying one on Christmas Eve might be a challenge.

Tom

Old December 25th 04, 12:16 AM
John Francis

Tom Scales wrote:

"muddycat" wrote in message
"Tom Scales" wrote:

If you MUST connect to your camera (which I discourage -- buy a decent
USB2
card reader), download Nikon View and install it.

I second this. You don't really need Nikon View either, you can just
copy the images off the card to the hard disk.

--
Mike

SV650
UKRMMA#22 ICQ#219328929

Yes, I agree, but if he needs access to a card, and doesn't have a card
reader, buying one on Christmas Eve might be a challenge.

You don't need any of the Nikon software, even without a card reader.
Actually, he already has a card reader - the camera itself. Connect
the external cable, and the CF card in the camera shows up as an
external removeable storage device, just as it would with a reader.

Nikon View just (like the corresponding from Canon, Pentax, etc.) is
useful if you want to get at some of the settings that aren't stored
in the publicly-defined tags on the EXIF data, or if you are using the
manufacturer-specific RAW file format. But for simply getting JPEGs
off the CF card you don't need it.

Old December 25th 04, 02:15 PM
C J Campbell

So copy the subdirectory containing the files from the card to your computer
and install it later if you are in a hurry. Alternatively, the card will
work just fine; it does not need formatting and the software takes up just a
small amount of space.

All "formatting" does is erase the card. Nothing is formatted.

Picture Project has some strengths and weaknesses:

Pros: Good automatic picture adjustment, good red-eye removal, good file
export function -- especially to PDAs (but you have the D70 version which is
crippled and does not have that function -- it only comes with Nikon's P&S
cameras).

Cons: Automatically saves changes without asking and without making a backup
copy, if you move a file on your computer PP will not recognize it,
interface to Nikon Net does not work and plants spyware on your computer,
interface to Nikon Capture is incredibly slow.

The way I use PP is I import the raw NEF files, immediately export them as
JPGs, import the JPGs (it does not do this automatically, of course, nor
does it let you choose the directory that you want to export them to), and
adjust the JPGs. This gives me a nice batch of JPG files without having to
create them separately on the camera which I can use to review or make slide
shows or whatever. I also use the adjusted JPGs as a check for color,
exposure and sharpness against my own adjustments in Photoshop in order to
keep me from getting too weird.

The bottom line is I could easily live without PP. It messes up my file
organization, is full of bugs, and makes unwanted changes to my files. I
like the file viewer which allows me to review NEF files full screen and the
automatic picture adjustment (which you have to be very careful to use only
on expendable copies). I think PP is dangerous in the hands of a novice
computer user.

Old December 29th 04, 04:39 PM
ZakZX9R

Whilst travelling interstate over the last month, I was called on to shoot
two weddings for friends. The trusty D70 came out, (and it gave me an excuse
to buy more gear on the road - always good!) But then the problem ...

Not only did I not have access to my own PC, my friends had NO GRAPHICS
SOFTWARE I could use to post-edit the photos (cropping mainly) for printing.
A quick google on a friend's PC found me Polyview's website (not the monitor
brand, but the software.) Not only did they have a downloadable trial of
their software, but support for each of the manufacturer RAW formats,
including NEF!!

Long story short, I was able to give both couples instant copies of the
photos all cropped and touched up (supports levels, auto options, etc.) The
software is easy to use and designed for maximum quality output with a whole
list of rendering options, JP2000, etc. Now that I'm back home and
post-editing some of the second wedding's reception shots (I used up 3GB
that day) I've actually downloaded Polyview to use at home as my primary NEF
viewer/thumb-nailer as well. I recommend a look to anyone sick of Nikon's
offerings.

Zak

(and YAAY for D70's and SB800's for making weddings so easy!)

Old January 11th 05, 12:28 PM
Ken Tough

C J Campbell wrote:

Picture Project has some strengths and weaknesses:

The way I use PP is I import the raw NEF files, immediately export them as
JPGs, import the JPGs (it does not do this automatically, of course, nor
does it let you choose the directory that you want to export them to), and
adjust the JPGs.

Can you do the adjustment before exporting to JPG? That's what I
would want to do. Also, can you use it without having it bugger
up all your directory scheme etc? I considered installing it, but
from step 1 it seemed to me it was an idiot-level interface, and
so I've just stuck with using File Manager to copy for now. I
basically want the slimmest piece of s/w that lets me use NEF,
adjust saturation/colour balance, sharpen and crop, then export
as JPG. Any other suitable progs for that?

--
Ken Tough
Old January 12th 05, 11:08 AM
Ken Tough

Ed Ruf wrote:

I've been using Nikon View 6.2.1 for this since getting the camera before
now looking at other options with a bit more control. I had it from my
CP-5700, but you can dl it from the Nikon Tech support site.

Is it a free download? Does it screw around with your file/dir
structure etc? (i.e. move/alter existing images)

Thanks

--
Ken Tough
Old January 13th 05, 08:53 AM
Ken Tough

Ed Ruf wrote:

Is it a free download? Does it screw around with your file/dir
structure etc? (i.e. move/alter existing images)

Yes. I believe the US site now requires a serial number to dl the full
program versions, but it is free. Be sure to get the updater as well.

Great. I hope it accepts non-US serial numbers.. I'll give it a shot.

--
Ken Tough
Old January 13th 05, 01:45 PM
Owamanga

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:53:00 +0200, Ken Tough
wrote:

Ed Ruf wrote:

Is it a free download? Does it screw around with your file/dir
structure etc? (i.e. move/alter existing images)

Yes. I believe the US site now requires a serial number to dl the full
program versions, but it is free. Be sure to get the updater as well.

Great. I hope it accepts non-US serial numbers.. I'll give it a shot.

It doesn't.

But here's a hint: US serial numbers start with a 3.

Of course, if the one you make up happens to be on the stolen list,
you'll have the cops all over your place in a flash.

--
Owamanga!