How does ISO 400 in Digital Rebel compare to ISO 400 film?

Old August 15th 04, 12:04 AM
Veggie

Default How does ISO 400 in Digital Rebel compare to ISO 400 film?

I read that the Digital Rebel can do ISO 100 thru 1600. Are they
comparable to good film at the same ISO points?

Old August 15th 04, 12:43 AM
Charles Schuler

"Veggie" wrote in message
I read that the Digital Rebel can do ISO 100 thru 1600. Are they
comparable to good film at the same ISO points?

The 300D is very low noise at ISO 100 and better than ISO 400 film, at that
same sensitivity. 800 on the 300D is somewhat noisy and 1600 is not a good
idea unless that is the only way to take a shot. Post processing can help
with ISO 800 and 1600 shots from this camera. Google for "Neat Image" and
others.

Old August 15th 04, 01:07 AM
Veggie

on the 300D

Is the 10D any better, or does it use the same sensor as the 300D?

Old August 15th 04, 01:13 AM
Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK

Veggie wrote:
I read that the Digital Rebel can do ISO 100 thru 1600. Are they
comparable to good film at the same ISO points?

I would say that ISO400 on Rebel would be about the same as 200 ASA on film.
You can get incredibly good results at ISO400, and very good at 800. ISO1600
is usable as a last resort option (something like 800 ASA film) but at that
value you'll get some color clipping, especially in the reds.

So, Digital Rebel is twice as good as any film when it comes down to grain,
or to be precise - noise. Film grain and digital noise are nothing alike,
because high sensitivity film is well... grainy. But high ISO setting on
digital camera results as a pattern made of pixels that have different
colours then they're supposed to. For example, you shoot at a clean red
paper at ISO 1600 and get darker or greenish or bluish dots.

Anyway, there are powerful programs that eliminate digital noise (and do a
great job too) so you can stretch your options even further. I have 10D and
shooting at ISO800 is something I feel completely comfortable with... Not
somethnig I would do so easily a few years ago...

--
online photo portfolio

" If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph
the event, what film would you use?" - Anonymous