Minolta 35mm SLR and Sony DSLR lenses

Old December 29th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Arthur Borysiewicz

Default Minolta 35mm SLR and Sony DSLR lenses

I have a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 3, 35mm SLR. I know that most Minolta AF
lenses are compatible with the new Sony DSLRs, such as the A100; what I'm
not entirely clear on is the extent of compatibility between the new Sony
DSLR lenses and older Minolta 35 mm auto focus cameras, such as my Dynax 3.
The dyxum.com site for instance states that all the new sony lenses work on
the Konica-Minolta 5D and 7D DSLRs, but they make no mention of their
compatibility with Minolta 35mm SLRs. Is there anyone who can enlighten me
further on this matter, as as I need to know if I can use one set of lenses
for both my Minolta 35mm SLR and a Sony DSLR I may buy later on. Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur

Old December 29th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"Yoshi" wrote:

The Sony and Minolta DSLR's use a smaller sensor (not full frame) and lenses
that are specifically built for the Sony and Minolta DSLRs will not cover
the full frame of a 35mm image.

Some of the new Sony and Carl Zeiss lenses for Sony are full frame.

Old December 31st 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Pudentame wrote:

Tony Polson wrote:
"Yoshi" wrote:

The Sony and Minolta DSLR's use a smaller sensor (not full frame) and lenses
that are specifically built for the Sony and Minolta DSLRs will not cover
the full frame of a 35mm image.

Some of the new Sony and Carl Zeiss lenses for Sony are full frame.

Any change in the placement of the contacts used to control the lens
between the Maxxum 3 and the later DSLRs? I.e. are the lenses
electrically and mechanically compatible with the older body?

I believe so, but why not check with the Sony importer?

Old December 31st 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Arthur Borysiewicz" wrote:

I have a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 3, 35mm SLR. I know that most Minolta AF
lenses are compatible with the new Sony DSLRs, such as the A100; what I'm
not entirely clear on is the extent of compatibility between the new Sony
DSLR lenses and older Minolta 35 mm auto focus cameras, such as my Dynax 3.

Arthur-

To demonstrate compatibility, a local Minolta dealer had me try my A100
"kit" lens on one of his Minolta AF film bodies. There was no
mechanical interference problem, but the corners of the viewfinder frame
were slightly dark when zoomed to a wide angle.

This kit lens came with the A100. It works very well as long as it is
used with the A100. However, I would avoid about buying another lens
that did not cover the full frame, because I firmly believe future Sony
DSLRs will be full frame. Bodies are replaced as new features emerge,
but the lenses stick around.

I've had no trouble using my old Minolta AF lenses on the A100,
including the 500mm f/8 AF Mirror lens. My only compatibility problem
was with an older flash that was purchased with the 9xi body. I had to
purchase one of the more recent Minolta "D" flash models for use with
the A100.

Fred