Olympus Camedia D-340R

Old September 3rd 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MCarter

Default Olympus Camedia D-340R

Anyone know this camera?

I can download pictures to my computer using the serial port, but when
I take the card out of the camera and put it into a card reader, I
cannot see the pictures.

Questions: Does the camera have internal memory of its own? If not
where is it hiding the pictures on the card?

FYI I am using WinXP, and I have downloaded the latest drivers and
utilities.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

MCarter wrote:
Anyone know this camera?

I can download pictures to my computer using the serial port, but when
I take the card out of the camera and put it into a card reader, I
cannot see the pictures.

Questions: Does the camera have internal memory of its own? If not
where is it hiding the pictures on the card?

FYI I am using WinXP, and I have downloaded the latest drivers and
utilities.

Hi MCarter...

I had one, used it long ago but forgot much... sorry.

I can tell you that it has no internal memories like the
newer ones have... (it does naturally have a buffer, but
no internal storage like you mean)

The smart media card does indeed have a directory structure;
you should find a directory named DCIM under the root,
and under DCIM you should find 100olymp. There is where
you'll find your pics

Take care.

Ken

Old September 3rd 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MCarter

Thanks Ken, you've saved me hours hunting through the manual for
internal memory.

But I can't find the directory you mention, or indeed any directory.

The card works. I copied a sample pic to it. And under properties the
used space is way more than the sample pic - corresponding with the
photos that can be viewed through the camera. But I can't see them.

It is almost as if the camera is using a patent file system. Could
this be possible, and do you think a Linux boot would help solve the
mystery?

Old September 3rd 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

MCarter wrote:
Thanks Ken, you've saved me hours hunting through the manual for
internal memory.

But I can't find the directory you mention, or indeed any directory.

The card works. I copied a sample pic to it. And under properties the
used space is way more than the sample pic - corresponding with the
photos that can be viewed through the camera. But I can't see them.

It is almost as if the camera is using a patent file system. Could
this be possible, and do you think a Linux boot would help solve the
mystery?

Hi...

Got me confused, owned almost every Oly they made, many of the
Fuji's, and all of them have the dcim under the root, with another
under that specific to the camera maker.

This tree is created automagically by the camera - even if you
del the sub's, they come back next time you use it

Wonder if the card reader is reading? After you copied a
pic to the card, you definitely shouldn't be able to see it
using the camera lcd, but could you read it back?
Got a friend or neighbor who might let you visit and put
your card in their machine?

Oh, one other thought... you are aware that the max card
size for your camera is (I forget - either 8 or 16 megs)?
Definitely no larger. Don't know what the effect of putting
a larger one in might be, but...

If you are using/trying to use a larger card, might be
interesting to see if a neighbor/friend might let you
borrow a 2/8/16 meg smart media to see what happens.

One more idea... we still have an old Sandisk sm reader
connected to an old laptop. Use it for nothing other than
mass temp storage at the lake. When that laptop was upgraded
to xp the reader refused to even be recognized, Sandisk
had no xp compatible driver, but the 2000 driver works fine.
(xp got upset about the logo thing, but still works fine)

Can't offer anything about linux; know nothing at all
about 'nix.

Take care.

Ken
Old September 3rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MCarter

Hi Ken.

You are right. The copied pic was not visible in the camera LCD. Only
the real photos were visible. But when I put the card (which is 16MB
btw) back in the card reader, only the pic is visible, in the root
directory, where I put it, and nothing else. No directories or
anything else.

Thanks for your help anyway.

MC

Old September 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frosted Flake

Ken Weitzel wrote:
[...]

I've got one sitting right in front of me.

The directory structure is IM01OLYM

I had a problem sometime back when I formatted the card, out of the
camera, with the wrong file system. It must be formatted as FAT, not
FAT32 or anything else.

The card is 128Meg. Olympus did an upgrade on my camera shortly after I
got it to allow larger than (I think) 32 Meg.

Try this -
Download all of the images from the camera using your serial connection
so that they don't get lost.

Reformat the card in the camera - Press Erase (first to right of LCD on
top) and green LCD Monitor simultaneously with cover closed (power off).
Press OK (shutter release) to start formatting. After complete,

After formatting, the card reader should show only the one directory and
it should be empty.

Take a picture.

Remove the card and insert it into your card reader. Make sure the
reader can handle SmartMedia.

Yous hould see the directory at the root and the one image file in the
IM01OLYM directory.

If that doesn't work, but you can still download pictures from the
serial connection, it would suggest that the reader is is defective or
not set up properly but I have never had to do anything with any of the
readers that I have used.

--
The Frosted Flake
+------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+
Old September 4th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

Ken Weitzel wrote:
[...]

Hi Frosted...

Think perhaps we're talking about different models here...
that camera was sold with a max card size of 8 megs, with
a factory upgrade (for a large fee) to 16 megs...

Be that as it may, wonder if M's isn't one of the ones that
was upgraded, and somehow inadvertently ended up with the
directories being hidden?

Suggest an experiment, M. Do the same thing any one of
several different ways...

Put it in your reader, and do a dir/ah to see what shows up.

Put it in your reader and do an attrib -r -h -s *.* and see
what happens.

Or, from dos just try a cd to both the dir name that
Frosted suggests, and try a cd to dcim. See what shows up.
(if dcim shows up, from there try cd 100olymp)

Just some more thoughts.

Take care.

Ken
Old September 4th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MCarter

Many thanks Frosted. That was the answer. I saved the photos and
reformatted the card in the camera as you suggested, and lo and behold
there was the IM01OLYM directory. I took a couple of pics, and there
they were in the directory.

Thanks again Ken for your input. I'll keep the commands in your last
post on file on file.

Michael

Old September 4th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frosted Flake

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Ken Weitzel wrote:
[...]

I don't know - clearly printed on the front of the camera it says
'D-340R" and on the bottom it says "Model No. D-340R", so I would guess
that what I have is a D-340R as the o/p was referring to.

I did send the camera back to Olympus for the memory card upgrade but it
didn't cost anything (maybe shipping but I really don't think so).

The original cards were 8 meg (I still have one) but the card currently
installed is 128 Meg (that's what it says on the card).

--
The Frosted Flake
+------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+
Old September 4th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frosted Flake

Frosted Flake wrote:

[...]

Glad I could help.

With Windows XP, there are two formatting choices for the SmartMedia
reader - FAT and FAT32. FAT32 allows storage of more, larger files but
FAT is what the D-340R uses.

If I format in the reader, I make sure it's FAT.

If I have problems after that, I format in the camera.

If that doesn't work, buy new media (if you can find it).

If that doesn't work, it's a good excuse to buy a different camera (just
make sure you get one that uses standard AA's - no proprietary
batteries, if you please).

--
The Frosted Flake