What photos do you most like taking with a digital SLR camera?

Old September 2nd 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank

Default What photos do you most like taking with a digital SLR camera?

As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with any digital SLR camera/s,
that'd be helpful as well.

Old September 2nd 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ole Larsen

Frank skrev:
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

It depends only upon what´s behind the camera, not in front of ;-)

--
Med venlig hilsen, Ole Larsen.
New Images And Design, aug. 2006
Old September 2nd 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

Frank wrote:
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with any digital SLR camera/s,
that'd be helpful as well.

I don't really understand your question. Most people buy SLRs because
they are exceptionally versatile, given the ability to change from one
specialty lens to another. I shoot everything with my Pentax and enjoy
all of it. It is far easier to get close up good shots with true macro
lenses. Swap lenses and go get great shots of a car race or an air race
or any sporting event. Change to an effective 80mm lens and take great
portraits. Use an extreme fisheye lens to shoot a freak show for a
really disgusting series of shots. Use a ring flash on a close up lens
to do dental or medical photography.

my web site: www.charlieselfonline.com

Old September 2nd 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

"Frank" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with any digital SLR camera/s,
that'd be helpful as well.

What do DSLR offer that I did not get on a point and shoot.
First speed.
Speed of switching on.
Speed of framing.
Speed of focussing.
Speed of zooming.
Speed some decisions can be posponed till you are behind the pc (with raw)

Swithing on is (almost) instantly. The view through the viewfinder is there
when you look.
Framing is faster than with a point and shoot.
Focusing of the camera is faster. (I use the middlepoint almost exclusively)
and you know
what you are focusing on. (I still do make mistakes).
Zooming, I didn't know how fast I could zoom, till I saw the results of my
daughter during
a game. Within a 1/3 of a second I have a picture of her full frame and the
next picture
is zoomed out completely.
Fast is less change on missing a picture, and more change of getting a
picture during
fast events. (sports of example.)

Holding the camera.
Because of the size, when taking pictures you have more grip on the camera.
So chances are that you hold it more stable.

A more sensitive sensor. (Less noise) This means that you can still take
pictures
when it's getting to dark for a point and shoot. (This is offcourse limited
to the time
it get's to dark for your camera).

With a sepperate flash the flash possibilities do realy increase.
Larger rooms, and faster handling, better lightning.

Raw.
Not only DSLR's have raw, but with raw you can improve your pictures more.
And you have more room for error. A good example is using a DSLR, a flash
and
raw during a reception. It's difficult to get the lightning perfect for all
situations.
But an external flash and raw make the succesrate of the pictures far
higher.
For other difficult situations, you can just speed ahead and with the raw
results make the desisions at your computer. So less time is needed during
the shoot.

Larger sensor. This has the disadvantage of less depth of field, for example
with macro picture. But this had the advantage of less depth of field for
portrets etc.

But at this moment point and shoots are good and can cater for most
situations, but with a DSLR you just can cater faster and in a few more
situations.

ben

Old September 2nd 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

Charlie Self wrote:
Frank wrote:
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out
much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or
that
of someone else's, showing images taken with any digital SLR
camera/s, that'd be helpful as well.

I don't really understand your question. Most people buy SLRs
because
they are exceptionally versatile, given the ability to change from
one
specialty lens to another. I shoot everything with my Pentax and
enjoy
all of it.

snip

I'm with Charlie: the question can be understood many ways. Lots of
chances for good answers.

He's also got the same impulse: shoot and enjoy shooting everything.
My trouble seems to be: I enjoy the shooting as much as--or more
than--the product, which serves primarily as a reminder of the great
rush of doing the deed.

Follows, then, that the equipment is not nearly as important to me as
to many others. I use two or three different point-and-shooters, and
two dSLRS, all very satisfying to me, even though some don't blow up
to 16x20 all that good.

Some of the most useful pieces of work I do are simply for recording
important data: what is the license plate of that monster pickup truck
next to me in the parking lot, in case the driver pokes a hole in my
door skin? Who are those college kids who parked in front of my house
the first week of school (next week!) and thought it was OK to smoke a
little crack before class? What did the gas pump say when I filled up
the SUV, and what did the car's odometer say? Is that _really_ a 1947
MG TC cruising down Chase Avenue at 3:35 on a weekday afternoon?
Mundane but useful.

To reassert my underlying theme: doing what makes you feel good can be
as important as making a good image; it doesn't take superior
equipment to make photography satisfying and worthwhile. My advice
would be that if you don't have a long history of picture-making, you
might be better off logging some production with something less
complex than a dSLR, so you'll be able to make better choices for your
own use, when you decide the (considerable) investment is worth it.

I use the P&Ss pretty much daily, the dSLRs not often enough.

P&S, each outstanding in some way:
Panasonic LUMIX LX1
Canon S500
Minolta Dimmidge Xt

dSLR, for the near-pro uses:
Canon 20D
Canon RebXT (350D)
/With lenses:
50mm 1.8 version II (inexpensive and versatile)
90mm macro (Tamron version 1)
18-55mm "Kit" lens (not USM; rough conditions lens)
10-22mm EF-S (won't work with a full-frame camera, but
essential to my way of viewing things)
24-70mm L (an essential, marvelous instrument)
70-200 2.8L IS (an essential, marvelous instrument)
70-300mm DO IS (works good, but a little of an early mistake)
1.4x extender (version II)
2.0x extender (version II)
Extension Tube EF12 (close focusing with the L lenses)

Some of my 'best' stuff was made with a kind of intermediate set of
equipment: Nikon CP5700, 8700 and 5000 with tele and wide adapters. If
the equipment snobs in this and other such groups hadn't made dSLR
seem so attractive, I might still be using sophisticated P&S cameras,
and be a whole lot richer.

That about covers it. You'll see from my 'gallery' that even with
heavy-duty hardware, it's easy to make not-very-good photographs.

Here's a 'gallery' of images I liked/like (digital begins in 2003;
although I had some digital cameras much earlier than that, they
didn't do much for me):
http://www.fototime.com/inv/6A6447AEF0606E3

--
Frank ess
"I can't sing,

Old September 2nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DP

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

As other posters have said, the question is confusing. You could be asking
at least two different questions:

1) What do you use a digital camera for and what do you use a film camera
for?

2) What do you use a DSLR for and what do you use a non-slr digital camera
for?

In other words, is your question meant to focus on the digital nature of the
camera or the SLR nature of the camera?

Old September 3rd 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ryan Robbins

"Frank ess" wrote in message

Some of the most useful pieces of work I do are simply for recording
important data: what is the license plate of that monster pickup truck
next to me in the parking lot, in case the driver pokes a hole in my door
skin? Who are those college kids who parked in front of my house the first
week of school (next week!) and thought it was OK to smoke a little crack
before class? What did the gas pump say when I filled up the SUV, and what
did the car's odometer say? Is that _really_ a 1947 MG TC cruising down
Chase Avenue at 3:35 on a weekday afternoon? Mundane but useful.

A voice recorder does the same job, except for the college kids thing, which
I don't know why you would care to take a photo of.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

Ryan Robbins wrote:
"Frank ess" wrote in message

Some of the most useful pieces of work I do are simply for
recording
important data: what is the license plate of that monster pickup
truck next to me in the parking lot, in case the driver pokes a
hole
in my door skin? Who are those college kids who parked in front of
my house the first week of school (next week!) and thought it was
OK
to smoke a little crack before class? What did the gas pump say
when
I filled up the SUV, and what did the car's odometer say? Is that
_really_ a 1947 MG TC cruising down Chase Avenue at 3:35 on a
weekday afternoon? Mundane but useful.

A voice recorder does the same job, except for the college kids
thing, which I don't know why you would care to take a photo of.

Still 64mph in the fast lane, eh Ryan?

Old September 3rd 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

Frank wrote:
As I'm looking to purchase a digital SLR camera, what photos do you
personally most like taking (or what one/s do you find turn out much
better) on a digital SLR camera and please say why.

If anyone can provide links, to either their own web page/s, or that of
someone else's, showing images taken with any digital SLR camera/s,
that'd be helpful as well.

Some of mine are he

http://homepage.mac.com/christopherjcampbell/Menu1.html

Old September 4th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ian

I use an SLR cos its use and operation is just a great of the photo
experience as the end result.

Hell i've been doing it since i was 11 yrs old.