Can I use Photoshop "Slice" to simply split an image into many parts?

Old October 25th 05, 02:18 PM

Default Can I use Photoshop "Slice" to simply split an image into many parts?

OK, here's what I finally did, that worked out pretty well. THANKS! for
all the help and suggestions. Regards, Terry King

----------------------( copy )------------------------
How-To slice many, many barcodes printed on 8.5x11 or A4 etc. paper
into separate image files to go on badges etc:
Terry King 1.01 10/24/05

1. Set your scanner to 300 or 360 DPI, color, 24 bits(Works better than
Grayscale!)
2. Set your scanner 'cropping' to just enclose your maximum number of
barcodes
(Probably 24 per page. Get the edges close to the top and bottom of
the barcodes.
3. Scan to a high-quality JPG file.

4. In PhotoShop (I used CS) open the scanned image. Hit Ctrl-0 to
make it large. Orient it like a normal readable page.
5. In Photoshop, select the SLICE tool
6. Right-click out in your image and select DIVIDE SLICE
7. Set the divide into the correct number of horizontal and vertical
slices for your image.
Check that the slice boundaries are in between the barcodes. You
have to get the scanned image to be the right size, some multiple of
the barcode size.
- Click OK

NOTE: For 24 barcodes in 2 columns, I used 12 Horizontally, 2
vertically.

NOTE: If you have multiple pages, use the one with the most barcodes to
set this up. Later you can use the same setup to scan multiple pages.
When you automagically slice, some images will be blank because there
is no barcode in that 'slice', but that's OK!

8. Right-click again in your main image and select SLICE OPTIONS. Set
SLICE TYPE to IMAGE, SLICE BACKGROUND to NONE.

9. Go to FILE menu and click SAVE TO WEB. A new screen will come up
after several seconds.
10. Set JPEG, HIGH, OPTIMIZED. Do NOT set PROGRESSIVE etc.
11. Click SAVE on upper right. Set SAVE AS TYPE to IMAGES ONLY. Set
SETTINGS to DEFAULT

SETTINGS.
12. Select a destination folder. It's often better to save each page of
barcodes in a separate folder to avoid cunfusion.
13. Click SAVE on lower right. A progress bar will run, and images will
be saved.
14. You will return to Photoshop. I suggest you do NOT 'save' the
image, as saving apparently associates it with Slicing somehow...

15. Check your saved images to make sure your scanning boundaries and
slice numbers worked out OK.
-30-