suggestions for reasonably priced camera for indoor sporting events

Old February 9th 04, 11:24 PM
the6campbells

Default suggestions for reasonably priced camera for indoor sporting events

Am looking for some suggestions re reasonably (i.e. not high end)
digital cameras where primary usage would be at martial arts events in
gymns or similar facilities. Hence, assume not great lighting, subject
probably 20-30 away and would like to take sequences of pics
reasonably quickly.
Old February 12th 04, 04:08 PM
DtommyD

I assume you already know this but:

The key to shooting action inside is shooting in manual with the F
stop as low as possible. The ISO prolly around 800 and at least
1/200. You have a great camera for all of this but it comes down to
the lens. The key again is to shoot in manual. forget the flash as
you can usually only get it to work up to 1/200th of a second.
1/200th may do the trick but....
I shoot hockey indoors and use a 2.8 70-200mm lens. I usually shoot
at iso 800 2.8 at 1/500 - 1/640 a second- with a Canon Digital Rebel
6.3 MP(no flash).
It was $999 without the good lens. $999 with the lens you would need
(28-90?).I can only shoot 2.5 shots per second up to 4 in a row but I
just take better pictures and pick my spots. I'm saving for a better
camera with more burst.
Hope that helps a little.
Old February 12th 04, 05:03 PM
Tom Pfeiffer

How did you get a camera with an ASA range of 200-1600 "boosted" to
6400? I understand push processing film, but I'm betting what you
meant was you set it at 1600 and underexposed by two stops, then
boosted the brightness afterwards. That would be might noisy.

Tom P.

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:39:33 -0600, Neil Brown
wrote:

in article , the6campbells at
wrote on 2/9/04 5:24 PM:

Am looking for some suggestions re reasonably (i.e. not high end)
digital cameras where primary usage would be at martial arts events in
gymns or similar facilities. Hence, assume not great lighting, subject
probably 20-30 away and would like to take sequences of pics
reasonably quickly.

I have shot basketball in elementary school gyms for several years now and
find it is hard to find a consumer camera that does the job. I went to
digital two years ago and I used an olympus e10 which could do it sorta ok
except for the lack of high asa.

I just upgraded to a D100 and it does an amazing job with the asa boosted to
6400... noise, well yes but better than blurry pictures

The buffer in the nikon is great, write speeds are good and it focusses in
difficult lighting far better than me.

I havent come acros any camera which would do the job for less money... but
if there is no fast action and maybee with a monopod you could make do with
a lesser camera.. but martial arts!!!!

you really need something more pro than consumer...

Neil