Canon PowerShot S1 IS

Old August 20th 04, 07:29 AM
Teodor

Default Canon PowerShot S1 IS

Hi there!!!

I would like to know if somebody has some experience with this model...

I heard something about bad autofocus in dim light... How bad is it? My
friend has a camera, an old one, Canon A300 and in indoor you have to try
and to try and to try... to snap. I think it's because of bad focusing. Is
it the same with S1?

Please, help me, because that's the only camera with IS and AA bateries,
for that is must have.

And yes, I don't mind 3MP...

Thanks in advance!!!

Old August 20th 04, 08:30 AM
Rick

"Teodor" wrote in message ...
Hi there!!!

I would like to know if somebody has some experience with this model...

I heard something about bad autofocus in dim light... How bad is it? My
friend has a camera, an old one, Canon A300 and in indoor you have to try
and to try and to try... to snap. I think it's because of bad focusing. Is
it the same with S1?

Please, help me, because that's the only camera with IS and AA bateries,
for that is must have.

And yes, I don't mind 3MP...

It's pretty bad. The S1 IS has no AF assist lamp. It works
ok when there's a good amount of indoor lighting (e.g. within
10-12 feet of a bright overhead or table lamp), but AF is
practically useless in lower-light situations.

Why are you limited to IS and AA batteries? That's another
gripe we have with our S1 -- it eats battery power much,
MUCH faster than our previous Canon models. Seems like
we're always changing batteries in the damned thing.

Rick

Old August 20th 04, 02:32 PM
Phil Wheeler

I like mine a lot: Small and 10x IS zoom.

Low light AF is not the best (no assist light), but has not been a
problem to date. Other AF issues do not exist, in mine.

Phil

Old August 20th 04, 02:35 PM
Phil Wheeler

Rick wrote:

Why are you limited to IS and AA batteries? That's another
gripe we have with our S1 -- it eats battery power much,
MUCH faster than our previous Canon models. Seems like
we're always changing batteries in the damned thing.

I've gotten 200-300 shots on a charge with my S1 IS -- some flash.

Are you sure yours is not abnormal?

Phil