Canon S60 ZoomBrowser software

Old August 20th 04, 03:46 AM
Jesko Waniek

Default Canon S60 ZoomBrowser software

Yesterday I received my first digital camera, a Canon S60. Unfortunately,
Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software (Version 4.6.1) does not run on my fairly
vanilla Dell 8300 PC (Win XP Professional). Everything installs ok, but
when I run the program it opens for a fraction of a second and immediately
closes again. I installed it on another PC I have with the same results.
I called Canon tech support this morning, and while they were very nice and
made me change all kinds of settings on my PC (popup blocker, startup
group, etc.) and had me uninstall and reinstall it, it did not fix the
problem.
Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Without the software I
cannot use RAW mode, which I would like to do.

Jesko Waniek
Old August 20th 04, 10:49 AM
Wouter Wessels

Jesko Waniek wrote:

Yesterday I received my first digital camera, a Canon S60. Unfortunately,
Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software (Version 4.6.1) does not run on my fairly
vanilla Dell 8300 PC (Win XP Professional). Everything installs ok, but
when I run the program it opens for a fraction of a second and immediately
closes again. I installed it on another PC I have with the same results.
I called Canon tech support this morning, and while they were very nice and
made me change all kinds of settings on my PC (popup blocker, startup
group, etc.) and had me uninstall and reinstall it, it did not fix the
problem.
Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Without the software I
cannot use RAW mode, which I would like to do.

Jesko Waniek

There are other programs that understand RAW.
On Mac I use GraphicConverter (www.lemkesoft.de), I am sure there are
numerous programs that can do the same on Windows (PaintShop Pro?)

Wouter

--

Wouter F. Wessels
Gouda, the Netherlands

Old August 20th 04, 01:14 PM
Terry

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:41:19 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr
wrote:

Currently, I am not aware of any 3rd party RAW converters for S60 that
will run on Windows (somebody suggested you look at PSP - AFAIK PSP
don't support /any/ camera RAW formats).

PSP 9, currently in beta, supports the following RAW file formats:

Canon 300D Rebel
Canon D30
Canon D60
Canon 10D
Canon D1X
Canon 1D
Canon 1Ds
Canon Powershot G3
Canon Powershot G5
Nikon D1
Nikon D1h
Nikon D100
Nikon D2h
Nikon D1X
Olympus 5050
Olympus 5060
Olympus E1
Olympus E10
Olympus E20
Fuji S2 Pro
Fuji S7000
Pentax *ist
Minolta A1
Minolta A2

Not brilliantly, but satisfactorily.

HTH.

Old August 21st 04, 03:54 PM
Jesko Waniek

Gisle Hannemyr wrote in
:

I don't have a fix for your problem. I've used Zoombrowser EX since
ver. 3.something (I now run 4.6.1) on a similar computer to yours.
(a HP Compaq D530m Win XP Professional SP1 w./ 1 Gbyte RAM) and have
So far, I've had no problems with its stability.

The only thing I can think of is that you have too little free memory
for Zoombrowser EX to start. How much RAM do you have, and how much
is grabbed by stuff that automatically launches at boot time?
To convert RAW, you don't want the Zoombrowser EX - you want the
Canon File Viewer Utility (FVU). This is shipped with the camera
on he same CD-ROM that you installed Zoombrowser from. You usually
launch the FVU from Zoombrowser EX, but it works just as fine
standalone.

Thanks, Gisle. I don't believe it's a memory problem. My PC has 512 MB of
RAM. As per Canon's support technician I also rebooted the machine
"clean" without all the startup stuff, and it made no difference. What
makes me suspicious is that I installed the program an another machine
with exactly the same results. Maybe something is wrong with the CD, or
the data being copied from it. I think I will request a replacement CD
and see what happens.

As far as the File Viewer Utility is concerned -- I don't see that
anywhere on the CD. There is only something called RawTask, but that does
not run without ZoomBrowser.

At least the uploading works...

Jesko
Old August 21st 04, 05:03 PM
Jack

[posted and mailed]

[posted and mailed]

Jesko Waniek wrote in
8.18:

Thanks, Gisle. I don't believe it's a memory problem. My PC has 512 MB
of RAM. As per Canon's support technician I also rebooted the machine
"clean" without all the startup stuff, and it made no difference. What
makes me suspicious is that I installed the program an another machine
with exactly the same results. Maybe something is wrong with the CD,
or the data being copied from it. I think I will request a replacement
CD and see what happens.

As far as the File Viewer Utility is concerned -- I don't see that
anywhere on the CD. There is only something called RawTask, but that
does not run without ZoomBrowser.

The latest versions of all Canon utilities including Zoombrowser are
available for downloading on the Canon USA website.(www.canonusa.com) Try
downloading and installing the latest version and see if it works. It's
better than waiting for a new CD.
Jack
Old August 22nd 04, 03:05 AM
nesredep egrob

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:03:25 -0500, Jack wrote:

[posted and mailed]

[posted and mailed]

Jesko Waniek wrote in
88.18:

[...]

Great - not everybody lives in USA. Canon is really a friendly company. Must
remember that next time I update a camera.

For your information, my stats a
Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb memory,ADSL
200+200 GB of disc space,Oly C2100UZ,Optio S,Sony 355E, Canon S1.
Burners CD and DVD (Sony make)
Borge Pedersen :-)
Perth, Australia

remove SPAM and underlines for email
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~borge
Old August 23rd 04, 05:41 AM
Jesko Waniek

In the meantime, the mystery has been solved thanks to a very knowledgable
tech. support guy at Canon USA.

The problems lies somewhere in a corrupt user account. When I log off from
my usual account and log back on with another account, the software works.
While that is still somewhat strange, it's not really much of a problem.

Jesko