Canon IS lenses

Old December 30th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mother

Default Canon IS lenses

I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?
Thanks
Mike

Go ask your mother!
Old December 30th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"Mother" wrote in message
I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?
Thanks
Mike

Go ask your mother!

it might do in terms of lighting etc, but if you are trying to shoot a
subject that's contstantly moving, I don't think IS will do much for
you...try using a tripod or a fast shutter speed and cranking up the ISO

Old December 30th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , Mother
wrote:

I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?

A tripod is less expensive.
Old December 30th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

Mother wrote:

I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?

Camera shake will be minimised by IS but subject movement won't. You may try
using a high ISO so that the shutter speed can be kept high. That will
reduce blurring due to both camera shake & subject movement. The noise can
be later tackled in post-processing.

--
gautam
Old December 30th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Mother wrote:
I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens.

What is the apperture of this lens?

What shutter speed and apperture are you using? Check the EXIF data to find
out.
The rule of thumb is that for handheld photography at 300mm you should use
1/300s or faster, on a DX camera like the Rebel this translates to even
1/450s. Unless this is a very fast lens (unlikely for a Tamron 11x zoom) you
need a lot of bright sunlight to get that.

The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?

Probably somewhat. It will probably reduce camera shake by 2-3 f-stops, but
of course it will not freeze the otters, so you will still get motion blurr.

A much cheaper and IMO better option would be to use a tripod instead of
trying to handhold a slow shutter speed at 300mm.

And you may have even better luck wich a faster lens. Unfortunately those
are really expensive at that focus range.

jue
Old December 30th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Colin_D[_2_]

Mother wrote:
I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?
Thanks
Mike

Go ask your mother!

You might find that a monopod would be a better solution, leaving the
camera reasonably mobile yet restraining camera shake. Tripods,
monopods and IS lenses will do nothing, though, for subject movement.
Only a faster shutter speed will help this, meaning high ISO or a faster
lens.

Colin D.

Old December 30th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Mother wrote:
I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?

There is no similar Canon lens but a similar Tamron lens is highly
affordable - the new VC version of the 28-300mm - and also pretty good
optically, much improved over the older non-stabilised version.

However, it won't stop otters moving, and they move very quickly. I have
had trouble shooting sharp pictures of otters playing in a zoo (I visit
them regularly) because even a slight head or paw movement demands
1/500th, they are so rapid.

David

--
Icon Publications Ltd, Maxwell Place, Maxwell Lane, Kelso TD5 7BB
Company Registered in England No 2122711. Registered Office 12 Exchange
Old December 31st 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"Mother" wrote in message
I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.

IMO, the tripod or IS will only help if your Otters are motionless.

Try this before spending money on either:

Try shooting in shutter priority (Tv mode) at 1/1000 of a second. If the
image is too dark, raise your ISO. I think you will also like what this
shutter speed does to water as it will freeze the droplets.

Old December 31st 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

Mother wrote:

I'm having a problems taking nature photographs. I'm using a Canon
Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm lens. The problem is blurred
pictures, that I know is caused by camera shake. Most of our photos
are taken under moderate to heavy tree cover and 20 to 40 feet away
with the subject being river otters.
Would a similar Canon lens with Image Stabilzation help?
Thanks
Mike

You need a good lens for shooting natures. Wide angel for landscape and
something like
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
for birds etc.

See also: