iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

Old June 9th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| On the other hand,
| you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as customized like any
| Windows system.

Try turning that around: "On the other hand,
you can always put Mac on Windows." If anyone
wanted to do that, the natural next question
would be: If you want to put Mac on Windows
then why are you running Windows at all?

some people run macos on a pc. it's called a hackintosh. it works, but
takes a fair amount of effort that could be better spent doing actual
work.

That's
the obvious question with Windows on Mac:
If you're going to put Windows on an overpriced,
limited Mac,

that's your first problem. no need to get an overpriced limited mac
when competitively priced very capable macs exist.

then why not cut out the middleman
and run Windows?

because with windows a mac, you can natively run mac, windows *and*
unix apps, giving the user the widest choice of software.
Old June 9th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

http://www.tek.com/document/technica...-how-measure-c
urrents-attoampere-range?asset=50390

interesting.

No problem at all. I think Fry's sells them...

i'm gonna stop at radio shack tomorrow.
Old June 9th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

he has yet to explain *how* that can be measured, because he knows it's
not possible and that he's arguing just to argue.

No, I'm not explaining how to measure battery drain because that's not
my field. I wouldn't be expected to have any knowledge of the
instrumentation available to do this.

I do believe, though, that those in field the have knowledge of what
instrumentation would be required. I can recognize an effect without
having to know how to measure that effect.

cop out.

No, it's simply applying common sense. I know that leaving the
headlights on for an extended period of time in my automobile when the
engine is turned off will run down the battery. I don't have the
slightest idea of how to measure the amount of battery drain per
minute or what I would use to perform that measurement.

headlights use many watts. writing a file does not.

what you don't realize is just how incredibly small the amount of power
used when writing a file actually is and how it's totally dwarfed by
everything else that's going on with the phone.

I'm sure that someone does, though. But, it's an observable fact that
the battery will eventually become flat. And, something that has
happened to me. The fact that I don't know how to perform a
measurement, or what to do it with, does not cast any doubt on what I
know to be a fact.

the battery didn't become flat because you took a few live photos.

as i said, if you keep the camera app open for a few seconds longer
than you otherwise would have, you've completely obliterated any
savings you *might* have gained by writing a slightly smaller file.

if you answer a phone call during the day, it's even more insignificant.

i've asked both you and him to quantify how much additional power is
used when posting to usenet. so far, no answer, as expected.

It's a wise person who doesn't try to answer a question that is
outside their field of expertise.

then why do you insist on doing that?

I don't. Not accepting your answer, or disagreeing with it, is
neither an "attack" nor providing a different answer.

you didn't disagree. you went into attack mode. you have admitted you
do that. it's your hobby.
Old June 9th 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 22:35:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

http://www.tek.com/document/technica...-how-measure-c
urrents-attoampere-range?asset=50390

interesting.

No problem at all. I think Fry's sells them...

i'm gonna stop at radio shack tomorrow.

Bring money, or a very high limit credit card. Mere femtoammeters cost
thousands. But what's money if it'll settle the live photos battery
drain issue.
Old June 9th 17, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 20:47:04 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

No, you are. Battery life is part of performance.

Not for most it isn't

Can you tell me how your camera performance changes depending on battery
charge ?

I don't expect it to change

exactly the point!

but I do want to know how many shots I can
get from it.

that's battery run time, not performance. don't confuse the two.

I want to know how well the battery performs, and the battery is part
of the camera.

the battery has a capacity.

And the camera has an ability.

It's like you buying a car: even if you are not interested in mpg you
are interested in knowing how far you can go before filling the tank.

that's range, not performance. don't confuse the two.

And fuel range is not part of performance?

nope. 0-60 times is performance. how many g's before it loses traction
is performance.

range is just that, range.

You haven't watched much
motor racing, have you.

don't need to. it doesn't change anything. it's also boring unless a
car smashes into a wall and catches fire.

It confirms my suspicions. You think in terms of events while I think
in terms of processes.

Eric Stevens
Old June 9th 17, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 21:01:41 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

And you could easily have told him what the actual situation was.

i did, at which point he went into attack mode, believing that a few
microseconds of additional write time is *so* important that it must be
declared to all users and something that is measurable.

it isn't and its not.

Of course it's measurable.

then it should be easy to explain how.

even a rough procedure would suffice.

The measurement need not be declared to all
users, but the fact that there is a battery draw should be recognized
even if that draw amount is insignificant and of no detriment to
performance. You don't deny it because you don't know how to measure
it.

i know that it's too small to be measured.

It might be too small for you to measure but I know there are people
in the field who could do it as a matter of routine: all the chip
designers for a start.

he has yet to explain *how* that can be measured, because he knows it's
not possible and that he's arguing just to argue.

No, I'm not explaining how to measure battery drain because that's not
my field. I wouldn't be expected to have any knowledge of the
instrumentation available to do this.

I do believe, though, that those in field the have knowledge of what
instrumentation would be required. I can recognize an effect without
having to know how to measure that effect.

cop out.

He is quite correct.

i've asked both you and him to quantify how much additional power is
used when posting to usenet. so far, no answer, as expected.

It's a wise person who doesn't try to answer a question that is
outside their field of expertise.

then why do you insist on doing that?

He hasn't been.

Eric Stevens
Old June 9th 17, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

No, you are. Battery life is part of performance.

Not for most it isn't

Can you tell me how your camera performance changes depending on
battery
charge ?

I don't expect it to change

exactly the point!

but I do want to know how many shots I can
get from it.

that's battery run time, not performance. don't confuse the two.

I want to know how well the battery performs, and the battery is part
of the camera.

the battery has a capacity.

And the camera has an ability.

more word games.

the main parameters of a battery is its voltage (usually fixed by the
chemistry) and its capacity, generally rated in mah, or ah for larger
batteries, which is usually a function of size for a given chemistry.
Old June 9th 17, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The measurement need not be declared to all
users, but the fact that there is a battery draw should be recognized
even if that draw amount is insignificant and of no detriment to
performance. You don't deny it because you don't know how to measure
it.

i know that it's too small to be measured.

It might be too small for you to measure but I know there are people
in the field who could do it as a matter of routine: all the chip
designers for a start.

too small for everyone except chip designers, who aren't fixated on
nitpicking every little word solely to argue.

however, not chip designers will bother to tear apart an iphone to
measure it. they'll just laugh at the absurdity of the request.
Old June 9th 17, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 8, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Bill W
wrote:

http://www.tek.com/document/technica...ns-how-measure
-c
urrents-attoampere-range?asset=50390

interesting.

No problem at all. I think Fry's sells them...

i'm gonna stop at radio shack tomorrow.

Think you can find a Radio Shack that doesn’t look like Berlin in April
1945?

Savageduck

Old June 9th 17, 10:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 00:44:06 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

No, you are. Battery life is part of performance.

Not for most it isn't

Can you tell me how your camera performance changes depending on
battery
charge ?

I don't expect it to change

exactly the point!

but I do want to know how many shots I can
get from it.

that's battery run time, not performance. don't confuse the two.

I want to know how well the battery performs, and the battery is part
of the camera.

the battery has a capacity.

And the camera has an ability.

more word games.

Nope

the main parameters of a battery is its voltage (usually fixed by the
chemistry) and its capacity, generally rated in mah, or ah for larger
batteries, which is usually a function of size for a given chemistry.

So?

Eric Stevens