Minolta manual lenses any use with DSLRs?

Old December 20th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
steph

Default Minolta manual lenses any use with DSLRs?

Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Thanks,
Stephan
Old December 20th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Dec 20, 3:01 pm, steph wrote:
Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Thanks,
Stephan

Sony DSLRs can use them, so can Olympus and Canons with adapters.
Old December 20th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Dec 20, 11:22 pm, RichA wrote:
On Dec 20, 3:01 pm, steph wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Thanks,
Stephan

Sony DSLRs can use them, so can Olympus and Canons with adapters.

Are you sure? He's talking about md-mount lenses, not the dynax mount
which the sonys also have. Maybe there are adapters, I don't know, but
I am pretty sure that my md/mc lenses never fit onto the dynax slrs
(of which I still have one).
Old December 20th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

steph wrote:
Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Due to the back focus, no. The old MD mount has a shallow body depth and
can't easily be adapted to any modern camera without using an optical
conversion (about 1.2X) to fit the necessary adaptor extension.

It's not worth it. Some old macro and extreme tele lenses are
interesting to play with, and a few folk have used Peter Ganzel's
methods to convert 58mm f1.4 vintage Rokkors to fit the AF-mount without
a converter, for manual use.

David
Old December 20th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"steph" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses,
at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can
reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Thanks,
Stephan

Why use ancient lenses on a DSLR?
It's like using a Nikon D3 camera with a Flash using flashbulbs.

Old December 21st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard J Kinch

steph writes:

I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models?

I have removed and replaced the bayonet fittings on Minolta MD mount lenses
to adapt them to the Canon EF mount bayonet and flange distance, making the
lenses into manual lenses for Canon digital SLRs. But that requires
precision machine shop work, and unless that's your hobby or business, it
won't be worth it.

Examples:

http://www.truetex.com/tokina_at-x_3...ef_adapter.pdf
http://www.truetex.com/tokina_rmc_500mm_ef_adapter.pdf
Old December 21st 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

Frank Arthur wrote:
"steph" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses,
at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can
reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Thanks,
Stephan

Why use ancient lenses on a DSLR?
It's like using a Nikon D3 camera with a Flash using flashbulbs.

Damn, you're a ****ing idiot.

Greg
Old December 21st 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

steph wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

There are adapters available for Minolta MD/MC lenses to fit several dslr
bodies, including Minolta, Sony & Canon. Do a search on e-bay for "Minolta
MD lens adapter".
--
gautam
Old December 22nd 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Gautam Majumdar" wrote in message
news
steph wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

There are adapters available for Minolta MD/MC lenses to fit several dslr
bodies, including Minolta, Sony & Canon. Do a search on e-bay for "Minolta
MD lens adapter".
--
gautam

Unfortunately those adapters have to use a weak optical element because of
the difference in flange distance, which makes them both more expensive and
less satisfactory. A non-optical adapter would be limited to close-up use.

Neil

Old December 22nd 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"steph" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got an old Minolta XG-M and 3 rather nice manual focus lenses, at
least to my account. I wonder if there is any chance that I can reuse
these with any of the current digital SLR models? Somewhere I read
that they can be used with Sony DSLRs. Is that true?

Thanks,
Stephan

Minolta A-mount lenses (for the autofocus Maxxum and Dynax cameras) can be
used with Sony DSLRs with no problem, but the older MC and MD mount lenses
for cameras like your XG-M unfortunately cannot. There's an adapter but it's
expensive, hard to find and not really satisfactory.

Neil

Manual Focus Lenses on Konica-Minolta D7 [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 3 July 18th 06 07:42 PM
Old prime manual lenses on Nikon DSLRs? 223rem Digital SLR Cameras 29 November 25th 05 07:06 AM
Converter to Allow Use of Minolta Manual Focus Lenses With Autofocus Cameras? mcl 35mm Photo Equipment 3 September 25th 04 03:20 AM
Converter to Allow Use of Minolta Manual Focus Lenses With Autofocus Cameras? mcl 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 June 27th 04 03:49 AM
FA: Minolta manual lenses, cheap, NR RdWaryer 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 February 17th 04 11:24 PM