How to get PAN newsreader to resize photos to fit in the body frame

Old October 8th 07, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
FJ Chaney

Default How to get PAN newsreader to resize photos to fit in the body frame

Is there any way to get the Windows PAN newsreader freeware to resize
photos to fit the viewing window in the body pane without having to scroll
all the time?

Pan is one of the best freewre newsreaders out there - but for this one
flaw.

Is there a setting or plugin that will allow PAN to view the photo in the
body pane fitting the size of the body pane without having to scroll all
the time?
Old October 8th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gautam Majumdar

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 06:33:44 +0100, FJ Chaney wrote:

Is there any way to get the Windows PAN newsreader freeware to resize
photos to fit the viewing window in the body pane without having to
scroll all the time?

Pan is one of the best freewre newsreaders out there - but for this one
flaw.

Is there a setting or plugin that will allow PAN to view the photo in
the body pane fitting the size of the body pane without having to scroll
all the time?

Why not ask in Pan User Group at
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/

--
gautam
Old October 8th 07, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

FJ Chaney wrote:
Is there any way to get the Windows PAN newsreader freeware to resize
photos to fit the viewing window in the body pane without having to scroll
all the time?

Pan is one of the best freewre newsreaders out there - but for this one
flaw.

Is there a setting or plugin that will allow PAN to view the photo in the
body pane fitting the size of the body pane without having to scroll all
the time?

There should never be photos embedded in usenet posts. Usenet should be
plain text, all the time. Anything else will break dozens of other
newsreaders, or simply appear as pages and pages of gibberish.
Old October 8th 07, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Matt Ion wrote:
There should never be photos embedded in usenet posts.

There are roughly 1800 plus some odd number of
newsgroups with "binaries" in the name.

Usenet should be plain text, all the time. Anything
else will break dozens of other newsreaders, or simply
appear as pages and pages of gibberish.

Even the only half decent newsreaders have been
able to deal with images for at least 10 years or so
now.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 8th 07, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
tommy-k

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:24:18 GMT, Matt Ion wrote:

FJ Chaney wrote:
Is there any way to get the Windows PAN newsreader freeware to resize
photos to fit the viewing window in the body pane without having to scroll
all the time?

Pan is one of the best freewre newsreaders out there - but for this one
flaw.

Is there a setting or plugin that will allow PAN to view the photo in the
body pane fitting the size of the body pane without having to scroll all
the time?

There should never be photos embedded in usenet posts. Usenet should be
plain text, all the time. Anything else will break dozens of other
newsreaders, or simply appear as pages and pages of gibberish.

You must be someone who has more than 95% of usenet filtered from your view.
Which is a popular choice of many new ISPs because it saves them tons of money
in bandwidth and storage space, they have to pay for that usenet feed to their
own servers, as well as the bandwidth to provide it. They get to charge you for
the same amount as everyone else who does provide full usenet service while
saving a fortune. If your ISP doesn't offer at least 90,000 newsgroups, you are
being highly censored while paying the for the privilege for them to do that to
you. They get by on the belief that what their end-user doesn't know or see
they'll never miss until they are told it exists. Few stay with an ISP once they
learn their ISP is doing this to them. They make their money from all the
ignorant newbies to the internet. This is the same way that AOL can censor more
than half of all the internet from their customers, their customers never
realize how much they are being censored. Usenet has been around long before the
inception of the www side of things. I think it can be considered even a larger
percentage of total bandwidth than all the rest of the internet combined. The
vast majority of usenet not only has photos embedded/attached to posts, but
hundreds of thousands of songs (the last time I looked there were over 100,000
songs posted in just one MP3 newsgroup), whole song albums, whole DVDs of
movies, the movies uploaded even before they get to your theatre, and all the
software that's ever been published for any operating system.

It's a shame when your ISP pokes your eyes out for you under the guise that
they're doing it for your own good, when in reality they're just doing it to get
more wealthy off of your ignorance.

For further information, not only are news-readers supposed to support attached
binary objects in a whole variety of encoding methods, as well as giving you the
uploading capability with the same array of choices, but they are also chosen by
how well they accomplish that task. Catch up. Someone is successfully trying to
make you live in their dark ages while exploiting your ignorance for their own
gain.
Old October 8th 07, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
Charles

FJ Chaney wrote:
[...]

Does your ISP provide 90,000 groups? Mine only has about 53,667.
Old October 8th 07, 09:33 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
tommy-k

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:56:01 GMT, Charles wrote:

Does your ISP provide 90,000 groups? Mine only has about 53,667.

55,688 on this one. I use another internet feed for the fuller count but it's
not as dependable because there's so much traffic on it.

Okay, I take that back, there's only 89,182 groups on the other one. But the one
I'm presently posting through has their own in-house usenet server which more
than makes up the difference. You can create your own newsgroups any time you
like and it becomes instantly useable by all on the same feed, without the time
delay and approval methods of going through the more public usenet hierarchy.
Not unlike IRC servers where you instantly create your own chat rooms among the
thousands already in existence just by typing /join #channelname. The rest of
usenet never see them, just like IRC channels on one server aren't seen by
another server.

What I really like about the one I'm using is their web-interface access with a
full usenet boolean-logic (regex syntax) search engine. No need to download
headers in any group to find that one post out of billions. A search will tell
you what group it's already in and point you directly to that post They've
already parsed all the posts and attachments for you. Greatly speeding up
download bandwidth too because you download the original compressed file after
it's already been re-encoded and re-combined on the fly. No bandwidth lost
through the less efficient uue, yenc, or mime encoding. This also allows me to
use downloading utilities to resume downloads on the same byte right where it
got interrupted without having to download a huge attachment all over again. So
not only do you get news-reader access but www access no matter where you are in
the world or what computer you are using. A few of the worthwhile reasons that I
keep this lower newsgroup-count feed.
Old October 8th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:
There should never be photos embedded in usenet posts.

There are roughly 1800 plus some odd number of
newsgroups with "binaries" in the name.

Which is what is killing Usenet support. Keep Usenet for text, and put
binaries on FTP or some other service designed to support it.

Cross-posting trimmed.

David

Old October 8th 07, 10:03 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
bealoid

FJ Chaney wrote in
t:

Is there any way to get the Windows PAN newsreader freeware to resize
photos to fit the viewing window in the body pane without having to
scroll all the time?

Pan is one of the best freewre newsreaders out there - but for this
one flaw.

Is there a setting or plugin that will allow PAN to view the photo in
the body pane fitting the size of the body pane without having to
scroll all the time?

Do you have to view the images in the PAN pane? Could you ask PAN to open
the image with your default[1] image viewer?

http://pan.rebelbase.com/faq/#Tips1

If it's any consolation, other people want this too:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2004-10/msg00039.html

Old October 8th 07, 10:38 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.photo.digital
Joel Martin

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 08:51:14 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:
There should never be photos embedded in usenet posts.

There are roughly 1800 plus some odd number of
newsgroups with "binaries" in the name.

Which is what is killing Usenet support. Keep Usenet for text, and put
binaries on FTP or some other service designed to support it.

No, what's killing usenet support on only a meager handful of ISPs are idiots
that are too stupid and pay the same amount as I do to ISP owners that refuse to
pay their required share for it. It's never going to kill usenet for me. It'll
just kill your access to it because you're willing to bend over and take it up
the ass from some company owner that knows how take advantage of your stupidity
and spinelessness.

No skin off my nose. All the smarter people just switch to ISPs that support it
properly, getting what you agreed to when you handed them that money in the
first place. Anyone who gets less is just letting themselves get ripped off by
cheap bait and switch tactics. Why should I pay some ISP that's not going to
give me a full internet feed? You can be that stupid but I'm not going to be.

Your ISP will eventually cut out all access to usenet because they know they can
get away with it and you'll still pay them without question. You're just that
stupid. I recently visited one person locally that had that happen to them. They
didn't even know they had a news-feed and was curious about it after I told him
how much of the internet he's missing. I went to his ISPs homepage and found out
they just stopped supporting any of it altogether, not even a handful of the
text groups which they can get for FREE. Can anyone guess the ISP's name? It was
something like "FamilyAccess, the family-values approved ISP". No lie. He only
signed up with them because they were the first one that someone told him about,
he didn't even have kids to worry about, they were all grown, gone, and married.
He was infuriated when he found out he got duped into a full-censoring service
and was even paying more per month than I do for any of my accounts. He called
them up while I was there and cancelled his 1-year prepaid account immediately,
even taking the loss just to not be connected to them any longer. Can you
imagine the stupidity and insecurity of people that pay someone to actually
control them? Showing them only what was pre-approved for them to see and learn
in life? That kind of insecurity and childishness in an adult is staggering. The
ISPs that I use wouldn't even think of something as stupid as that. They know
that I and every other customer they have would switch providers in a heartbeat
to ones that do provide full internet access. Money talks, loud and clear, make
no doubts about that.

His "Family Values" ISP will go the way of every christian owned broadcasting
network. They'll be bought up by people that don't censor because it's a losing
business to run it with censored content. How many TV stations have you watched
come online as religious propaganda only to notice that one year later they now
have to show B horror movies, T&A cop shows, and all the other conventional
programming you've seen everywhere else because they couldn't sell their
propaganda? Happens every time. Another one in my area became FOX not too long
ago. That alone should show you that self-censoring christian crap doesn't sell
to the majority for very long. People stomach being controlled by others for
just so long, then they grow up.

There's a fool born every minute, they're the ones that sign up with and
continue to pay ISPs and networks that don't provide uncensored access.

Your stupidity and spinelessness is cutting off your own access, not mine.