Gimp vs Photoshop

Old August 27th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gautam Majumdar

Default Gimp vs Photoshop

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:38:31 +0100, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Gautam Majumdar wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:27:31 +0100, Roger N. Clark (change username to
rnclark) wrote:

Does gimp do 16-bit processing yet? Or better yet, 32-bit?

Cinepaint - a brach of original gimp - does 16 bit processing in linux.

I took a look at it a few years ago, and found it interesting but not
quite useful for still photography at that time. However, I really
would like to get a look at what it does now... but it won't compile on
my system.

I use something based on Slackware, except I'm always adding whatever it
takes to use the lastest releases of The GIMP, UFRAW, CUPS, and
ghostscript (plus maybe some others that I'm not remembering), so it
isn't an out of the box Slackware system. Cinepaint is written in C++,
and I'm a C weenie to the core.

I haven't put a huge amount of effort into figuring out why the compile
bombs, but I went far enough to know that is requires being familiar
with C++ development, which leaves me out.

Whatever, the documentation for installing Cinepaint sucks. There is no
indication of what libraries they use with version pre-requisites, or
that sort of thing.

I could not run Cinepaint 0.21 or 22 on my Mandriva 2007 but 0.20 runs
well. I installed it from rpm file. Cinepaint (now called Glasgow) is
essentially a one man project. You may e-mail Robin Rowe for your
problems at . Cinepaint home page is at
http://www.cinepaint.org/

--
gautam
Old August 27th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Aug 27, 4:29 am, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Do you do any composites on linux/unix? I'm thinking of
a couple of scenes that I'd like to print on a 30-40
inch length of paper with a panoramic made up of several
shots. So far I haven't looked into what kind of
software is available for stitching them together, but I
recall that you've done a lot of that.

hugin, a frontend for panorama tools and autosift. I mostly use it on
windows, but I have used it also on linux and it's the same. It's
excellent.

Old August 27th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
art2u

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:32:25 -0700, measekite
wrote:

|While to day it is no contest I wonder if someday Gimp will catch up.
|However, for about $700 less Gimp is a very enticing product. Gimp
|needs to support profiles, adjustment layers, a Photoshop like crop tool
|and have the healing (and sport healing brush) and a few other of the
|CS3 tools and it would possibly be the choice. It also needs the print
|preview (driver) and scale to print media that PS has.
|
|One thing is that when you print the same thing with Gimp and PS you do
|see differences in color. PS is more pleasing most of the time but I
|think that lack of profiles causes these problems.

Photobie is a complete image editing software customized for photo
retouching. Photobie is free to use and to distribute. Unlike other
commercial and free image editing softwares, Photobie is more like a
homemade cookie, which has much more flavor. Photobie developers
intend to build an easy-to-use and feature-packed tool for graphics
amateurs. Although, it is not yet a perfect tool for professionals, it
does contain many handy tools to help professional to achieve simple
task quickly.

Photobie is featured with an unique intuitive layer manager, which
enable our users to handle multiple layers with ease for advanced
image editing. It beholds a wide variety of painting tools that are
crucial for photo retouching. Photobie supports Photoshop filter(.8BF)
plugins, which means that our users can apply thousands of free
filters to their images. Meantime, Photobie provides an advanced
screen capture tool, the simpliest gif animation tool, and a photo
framing tool. Photobie integrates an image directory browser with
batch resize/rotate, full screen slide show features.

http://www.photobie.com/Download/PhotobieInstaller.exe

-Art-

Old August 27th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

Rather than simply slating Photoshop and everyone who uses it could you
please give some constructive advice on what (in your opinion) people should
use.

I have used the Gimp, Photoshop, Elements and Paint Shop Pro. Of the three,
Photoshop is by far the best IMHO but it is also the most expensive.

For this reason the Gimp is my weapon of choice most of the time.

I would love to know of better editing tools though and welcome a post from
you which lists some suggestions.

"Notes for the Clueless" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:32:25 -0700, measekite wrote:

While to day it is no contest

You're right in only one regard. PhotoShop is one of the least capable
editors
out there these days. It's no contest that there are much better ones for
the
last 8 years. There are many editors that have much more advanced
features. The
best and most easily proven example, PhotoShop is still relying on last
century's bicubic algorithm for the core process of all its resampling
tools --
resizing, leveling, perspective corrections, lens corrections, etc., etc.
Every
time you shift or resample any portion of your photo you are introducing
blurring and softness to any fine details and edges. You spend thousands
of
dollars on photography equipment to get the best possible image, priding
yourself on having found the ultimate camera and optics to achieve the
highest
details possible, and then you spend another $700 to ruin them with one
mouse
click in an editor? Just because the mindless following herds don't know
any
better and tell you which one to use?

That's really smart.

I wouldn't use PhotoShop even if Adobe paid me $10,000 a month to do so.
It fell
on the wayside in my "best editors" lists all the way back to v5.5. The
only
reason anyone still considers it is due to how many mindless people keep
using
it. I would never touch an editor like PhotoShop that is well known to
ruin any
photo that passes through it.

Think for yourself for once in your life. If you can.

Old August 27th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

frederick wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
frederick wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

It's a lot easier to set
values using the up-down arrows in GIMP, than via wretched dialog
boxes
with miniscule sliders in Photoshop. The only thing I prefer about
Photoshop's interface is the undo-capable history list.
I don't understand that. What does Photoshop's
undo/history do that GIMP doesn't do?
I assume he means that you can select individual
entries in the History and undo them independently of
subsequent steps. PaintShop Pro does that as well, at
least as of version 10.
As does Gimp.

It certainly does not undo commands independently though!
Undoing any one command will revert to what existed just
before that command was originally executed, and _all_
commands after it are also undone.

(And the whole idea of "independent" undo sounds
horrible to me, anyway.)

It also sounds unworkable and relatively impossible to guess what the
result could be.
I can't imagine for example resizing then sharpening, going back and
"undoing" the resizing, but keeping the sharpening.

It's more useful for some things than others. For things like undoing a
previous crop, for example, it can be handy.

It's one of those things you may use only once in a proverbial blue
moon, but when you DO need it, you love having it available.

Old August 27th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

John Ortt wrote:
Rather than simply slating Photoshop and everyone who uses it could you
please give some constructive advice on what (in your opinion) people should
use.

I have used the Gimp, Photoshop, Elements and Paint Shop Pro. Of the three,
Photoshop is by far the best IMHO but it is also the most expensive.

For this reason the Gimp is my weapon of choice most of the time.

I would love to know of better editing tools though and welcome a post from
you which lists some suggestions.

You know, so much of it just comes down to personal "comfort", same as
with choosing a camera. I tried to convince a buddy who was shopping
for a dSLR that he should go Canon, mainly so I'd be able to borrow his
lenses But ultimately, I told him, go with the one that is the most
comfortable for you to hold and operate... and based on hands-on trials,
he settled on a Nikon D80. C'est la vie - if you choose a camera that's
uncomfortable or frustrating to use, you're less likely to use it on a
regular basis, and thus it's a waste.

Software is no different... I've played with Photoshop over the years,
even tried to "settle" on Elements 2 for a while, and play with
Lightroom now and then... but I just don't like Adobe's layouts and
workflows as much. For a heavy-duty editor, I use mainly PaintShop Pro
X, primarily because I prefer its interface and workflow. If a program
is a PITA for me to operate, I'm just as likely to not bother anyway,
and what's the point in that?

All of these applications have demo versions available (and some are
just plain free)... so rather than listen to the prattlings and
bickering, I'd suggest to anyone wondering "which is best", download
them all and TRY THEM OUT! Figure out which one works best FOR YOU.
Old August 27th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Unclaimed Mysteries t wrote:

Linux is for Communists. Use Genuine Microsoft Windows and be like this
guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

Or check this new design for Windows RGE (Really Good Edition),
the replacement for Vista:

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm

Old August 27th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
I don't know how they compare to each other, but GIMP
2.3 and the current 2.4rc1 releases have had a "healing"
tool for some time now.

But do they have the "sport" healing tool? ;-)

The only thing I prefer about Photoshop's interface is the
undo-capable history list.

I don't understand that. What does Photoshop's
undo/history do that GIMP doesn't do?

Note I'm using an old GIMP version, but in Photoshop
the history list appears, cluttering up the screen, on lower right.
Each action is labelled. You can click on any action to go back
to the image state as of that action, then forward again (provided
you don't apply another action).

The fact of the matter is that where I need it -- for JPEG editing --
Photoshop is seriously broken, whereas GIMP works.

Interesting statement.

I do not yet own a RAW-capable digital camera.

Old August 27th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

What about "sport" healing brush? ;-)

What does a sport healing brush do?

The original poster misspelled "spot" healing brush.
In PS CS2 the spot healing brush seems to work better
than the regular healing brush, for unknown reasons.

I have a new Linux box waiting for me, so I'll upgrade
GIMP soon. I'm excited about trying the new release(s).

One thing I will say: GIMP's "Select by Color" dialog
seems to be faster at selecting blue sky than anything
I've tried in Photoshop. Big plus for GIMP.

Qimage remains a better printing tool than Photoshop,
would everyone agree?

I've never seen it. What do you like about it?

Qimage does the best resampling on the market, I believe.
Plus it doesn't have Photoshop's confusing DPI bullcrap.

Old August 27th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

With GIMP there is an "Undo History" menu item, which
pops up a window with the history shown in sequence by
command name and with a thumbnail.

Oh
my
gawd!

Even old versions of GIMP have this, I just didn't know.

Is there a GIMP user groups somewhere?