A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Point & Shoot Cameras
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CanonA540 vs A630



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 11th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
nick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default CanonA540 vs A630

Looking for a p&s digital for use in travel photos
and family grandchildren shots. Have seen the A540
and the A630. Looks like the 540 has fewer AA batteries
and a slightly wider f stop range, while the 630
is newer and has more AA batteries for more shooting.

Any info on shutter lag times is welcome.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences with these
cameras.
  #2  
Old February 11th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Pat O'Connell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 90
Default CanonA540 vs A630

nick wrote:
Looking for a p&s digital for use in travel photos
and family grandchildren shots. Have seen the A540
and the A630. Looks like the 540 has fewer AA batteries
and a slightly wider f stop range, while the 630
is newer and has more AA batteries for more shooting.

Any info on shutter lag times is welcome.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences with these
cameras.


I like my A540, but the A630 might be worth your while. I'm not sure
whether the A630 simply requires more voltage or whether the extra cells
increase the time between battery changes. Either way, power the cameras
with NiMH rechargeable cells, not alkalines except in emergencies. The
A540 doesn't take disposable lithium cells, apparently (not mentioned in
the manual). Specs and manuals for the A630 are on Canon's website
somewhere.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,
Kill nothing but vandals...
  #3  
Old February 11th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
nick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default CanonA540 vs A630

Pat O'Connell wrote:

I like my A540, but the A630 might be worth your while. I'm not sure
whether the A630 simply requires more voltage or whether the extra cells
increase the time between battery changes. Either way, power the cameras
with NiMH rechargeable cells, not alkalines except in emergencies. The
A540 doesn't take disposable lithium cells, apparently (not mentioned in
the manual). Specs and manuals for the A630 are on Canon's website
somewhere.


Just got back from licking the tires on the A710IS, the A630, and
the A540. To tell the truth, I like the extra tele on the 710 (6x)
better than the 4x of the other two.

Not sure whether 2 (540 and 710) AA cells vs 4 (630) makes a
difference.

Not sure whether I like the rotating LCD viewer on the 630,
but then again you can flip it over to protect it.

Decisions!!!
  #4  
Old February 11th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
David Harper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default CanonA540 vs A630


"nick" wrote in message
...
Pat O'Connell wrote:


snip

Not sure whether 2 (540 and 710) AA cells vs 4 (630) makes a
difference.



It makes a *big* difference in flash recharge times. More batteries =
faster recharge time. In the A540 it can take 5 seconds or more between
flash shots. That might be a consideration for you.

- David Harper

  #5  
Old February 12th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Melba's Jammin'
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default CanonA540 vs A630

In article , nick wrote:

Not sure whether I like the rotating LCD viewer on the 630,
but then again you can flip it over to protect it.

Decisions!!!


I absolutely love the rotating LCD screen. It lets me take pictures
(camera overhead, screen tilted so I can see what I'm framing) or camera
down low without me having to be on my knees for the picture. Makes it
easy on my bones.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
  #6  
Old February 12th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Pat O'Connell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 90
Default CanonA540 vs A630

David Harper wrote:
"nick" wrote in message
...
Pat O'Connell wrote:


snip

Not sure whether 2 (540 and 710) AA cells vs 4 (630) makes a
difference.



It makes a *big* difference in flash recharge times. More batteries =
faster recharge time. In the A540 it can take 5 seconds or more between
flash shots. That might be a consideration for you.


If I were taking sports photos, it might make a difference. My sports
photos mostly consist of my 7 year old grandson's gymnastics
competitions, so it' not a primary consideration.


--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,
Kill nothing but vandals...
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon - A630, A640, S3 IS and the near future Paul D. Sullivan Digital Photography 27 January 6th 07 03:25 PM
thoughts on Canon A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP) ab sell Digital Photography 17 December 23rd 06 12:33 AM
Canon A630 battery question Syke Digital Photography 5 December 1st 06 09:21 AM
Canon a630 Red-Eye Problem [email protected] Digital Photography 7 October 14th 06 06:23 AM
A620 vs A630, A640: different sensor? [email protected] Digital Photography 2 October 6th 06 04:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.