recommend a book to fully utilize A710-IS

Old December 25th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Reece

Default recommend a book to fully utilize A710-IS

instead of me pestering everyone here with every silly question that comes
to my curious and uneducated mind.

please someone(s), direct me to a book that will gently guide me in the
edification of my brain in the world of digital photography w/o being so
advanced that it would frustrate me with technical terms I don't necessarily
need to know.

I have Canon's A710-IS. And would like to be able to use more than just the
"Auto" mode.

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Bill

Old December 26th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

There is one specialized and very important book that will tell you about
your A710-IS:
The manual that came with your camera. Try to read that, it is specific for
your camera it will tell you about its capabilities and limitations.
Start experimenting, all it will cost you is an occasional battery recharge.

Digital photography is still photography, the same optical principles as in
analog photography apply, so any good book on photography will do.

There are also some online resources where you can learn:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/

http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/contents.htm

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_us

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

Old December 26th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:45:47 -0500, "Bill Reece"
wrote:

instead of me pestering everyone here with every silly question that comes
to my curious and uneducated mind.

please someone(s), direct me to a book that will gently guide me in the
edification of my brain in the world of digital photography w/o being so
advanced that it would frustrate me with technical terms I don't necessarily
need to know.

I have Canon's A710-IS. And would like to be able to use more than just the
"Auto" mode.

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Bill

There are basically two things to consider: light and subject.
A basic understanding of light, and how to control it, is necessary to
understand what the controls on the camera do. Light follows rules,
and the camera's controls are what control the light that hits the
sensor (whether that sensor is film or electronic makes little
difference; the rules remain the same).
The subject is something else; it's up to you to control that.
There are many books that cover both; the trick is finding the ones
you can read well, and gain knowledge from. A library or bookstore
will offer many choices.
Once you have the basics down, them the function of the camera's
controls will make sense.
Then, it's practice, practice, practice.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old December 26th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Reece

thank you to both replies so far. I will actually print them and keep them
with my notes.

the basic insights will be helpful. I have been studying the manual. But I
was hoping for an easier way. It just seems so technical and concentrated
that it is a bit off putting. So, I am just taking it in small chunks and
yes I am practicing and burning up batteries (I got some rechargeable NiHi's
and a charger)

And I have been searching the web, I will check out the links you provided.
I found a nice glossary at Steve's digicam site. I did some cut and paste
to build a reference of the terms I'm not yet familiar with.

Thanks again for your guidance.