Rechargable Batteries

Old December 23rd 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Badger

Default Rechargable Batteries

Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?

One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
(They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
the moment)

Thank you

Old December 23rd 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 07:08:38 -0500, Stephen Badger wrote:

Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?

One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
(They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
the moment)

Easy answer: Buy new rechargeables. They'll probably be able to
take many more pictures per charge.

Reason: More often than not, if batteries don't last nearly as
long as they once did, they'll need to be replaced. Batteries age,
and how long they last depends to a great degree on how they were
used. Most people have no clear understanding as to how batteries
should be treated. "Common sense" might indicate that if the
batteries are used very infrequently, they'll last a long time. The
opposite is often the case, whether they're NiMH or Li-Ion.

It's usually helpful to mention the camera you're using, how long
you've had it as well as the type of batteries it uses. While
reduced battery life is usually due to aging or damaged batteries,
it could also be due to problems with the camera or the charger.

Old December 23rd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Stephen Badger wrote:
Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per
charge?

One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then
die. (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall
the brand at the moment)

Thank you

There are specifications (amp hours) but they are not the only part of
the question. Different cameras have different energy needs. Some have a
higher voltage cut off others need more amps. Chargers are also important
as they don't all charge the same. If you have a camera that uses several
cells (like AA) you should have a charger that charges each batter
independently. Most such chargers will charge one to four batteries at a
time, but each one will be charged independently so one may finish sooner
than the others. Also if you have independent cells remember that the
camera stops when the weakest one fails so you may have one bad battery and
it would appear they all are bad.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old December 23rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mick Harris

"Stephen Badger" wrote in message
Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?

One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
(They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand
at
the moment)

Thank you

Yes, the larger the mAh (milli amps per hour) the more power it provides,
and the more pics it will take.
e.g. A 2500 mAh battery, will give you more shots than a 1500 mAh battery.

The newer Ni-MH batteries (Nickel Metal Hydride), are the best kind to use
in your camera,
not the older Ni-CD (Nickel Cadmium) batteries.

ATB
Mick

Old December 23rd 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mick Harris

PS.
It sounds like your batteries are either old & exhausted, or just low
powered, (somewhere around the 1000 mAh range) ?

Old December 23rd 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jfixit

Mick Harris wrote:
PS.
It sounds like your batteries are either old & exhausted, or just low
powered, (somewhere around the 1000 mAh range) ?

I have had great luck with the new "Eneloop" by sanyo in my SB800
they last at least 2 times longer then the older regular 2,300 or
2,500 mAh NI-MH . The "ENELOOPS" are rated at 2,000 mAh with a min.
of 1,900 mAh
Old December 23rd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

In today's paper is a story about a new type of NiMH rechargeable battery.
Check it out: Sanyo, Rayovac and others are developing this new battery.
They are supposed to be on the market in January. Sanyo's version of this
new type, the Eneloop, is already on the market.

http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/index.shtml

Old December 23rd 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Pat wrote:
In today's paper is a story about a new type of NiMH rechargeable battery.
Check it out: Sanyo, Rayovac and others are developing this new battery.
They are supposed to be on the market in January. Sanyo's version of this
new type, the Eneloop, is already on the market.

http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/index.shtml

The only place I've seen the hybrid is in Walmart. The only place I've
seen eneloop was is Ritz Photo and I bought a set in mid September.
Wonderful, I got 650 shots in my A95 before I even charged them. They're
now sitting in camera so I'll see how they do on second run. Looking at
the package in Walmart, the hybrid makes more modest claim regarding
self discharge than the eneloop. As I understand it, the Rayovac
technology is licensed from Sanyo. Retail pricing seems to be same as
any other NiMH within a couple of bucks.
Dave Cohen
Old December 23rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
fotos4web fotos4web is offline
Junior Member

Location: Co Kerry West Coast of Ireland

Old December 23rd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
fotos4web fotos4web is offline
Junior Member

Location: Co Kerry West Coast of Ireland

Apart from keeping rechargeble batteries fully charged, at this time of
year (December) you should also keep them warm !
Rechargeables have a nasty habit of failing completely in sub-zero
temperatures and especially when you need them most .. like on a
ski-slope.
Keep spare sets inside your jacket and always have two sets with you as
a backup (I had two sets die on top of a local mountain last week)
Rechargeables also seem to leak when not used - I keep a set of high
powered AA's in my car too all the time as an additional backup.
Top Brands like Fuji seem to hold their charge a little better and I'd
avoid rechargeables from markets/fleamarkets in case they are seconds.
Now all we need is a solar poered charger ...
Best Wishes
Keith