rec.photo: live & let live

Old October 5th 04, 07:12 PM
Jim Phelps

Thanks for the support. I knew I could count on you all.

And, BTW, I have recently (after lurking for soooo long in envy) joined the
ranks of LF'ers. I'm waiting delivery of a Cambo 540, 4X5 with a Fujinon
135 lens I bought from KEH this week. Pack of T-Max 100 arrived today
(along with several packs of TP), so the flow of questions will start as
soon as I get my hands on it. Soon as the budget swells back to life I'll
start getting other accoutrements and more and different types of film to
play with. Looking forward to my first tray processing session, but only
contacts prints for now (the enlarger is one of the other accoutrements).

Jim

Old October 5th 04, 08:39 PM
Donald Qualls

Jim Phelps wrote:

Thanks for the support. I knew I could count on you all.

And, BTW, I have recently (after lurking for soooo long in envy) joined the
ranks of LF'ers. I'm waiting delivery of a Cambo 540, 4X5 with a Fujinon
135 lens I bought from KEH this week. Pack of T-Max 100 arrived today
(along with several packs of TP), so the flow of questions will start as
soon as I get my hands on it. Soon as the budget swells back to life I'll
start getting other accoutrements and more and different types of film to
play with. Looking forward to my first tray processing session, but only
contacts prints for now (the enlarger is one of the other accoutrements).

Jim

Jim, if you haven't tried it yet, be sure to spend the $20 for the
Photographer's Formular traditional cyanotype kit. I've got one, and
though I haven't done anything with the arrowroot starch (for sizing
unsized paper), I've been pretty happy with at least some of the prints
I've made; when I have a negative with the right contrast, and combine
with using or not using contrast enhancer (potassium dichromate
solution) in the sensitizing mixture, I get very nice prints with
exposures around five minutes in midday direct sun. Best part is, they
don't require a dark room; you can sensitize and dry the paper under
incandescent room light (though dimmer is better, given enough light to
see what you're doing), load the paper and negative into a contact
printing frame, and then proceed out into the sun for a few minutes (or
leave the frame a few inches from a fluorescent light overnight, but I
prefer sunshine).

If you don't like the dark blue color, tone the dried print in cold,
strong black tea for an hour or two to turn the print to a dark eggplant
or almost neutral black, depending on length of toning, while highlights
go very slightly tan. You don't need Arches Platine, either, though I
won't quibble that it might be the best; I've gotten good results from
Malay-made watercolor paper I got in a comb bound pad of fifteen sheets,
7x10 inch size, at Fred Meyer (basically a combination grocery and
hardware store), in the one-aisle art supplies department.

Prints from 9x12 cm are just a nice 3x4ish size, similar to the prints I
used to get from the drug store when I was a young teen in the early 1970s.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old October 5th 04, 10:00 PM
Nick Zentena

Jim Phelps wrote:
Thanks for the support. I knew I could count on you all.

And, BTW, I have recently (after lurking for soooo long in envy) joined the
ranks of LF'ers. I'm waiting delivery of a Cambo 540, 4X5 with a Fujinon
135 lens I bought from KEH this week. Pack of T-Max 100 arrived today
(along with several packs of TP), so the flow of questions will start as
soon as I get my hands on it. Soon as the budget swells back to life I'll
start getting other accoutrements and more and different types of film to
play with. Looking forward to my first tray processing session, but only
contacts prints for now (the enlarger is one of the other accoutrements).

Don't you have a Jobo machine? All it takes to process 4x5 in a film tank
is the Jobo film reel 2509N.

Nick
Old October 5th 04, 10:17 PM
Uranium Committee

"Jim Phelps" wrote in message ...
"jjs" wrote in message

"John McGraw" wrote in message
om...
Dear Michael S.
All a person can do in any discussion group, AA meeting, or whatever,
and still maintain their & the groups integrity is to offer their
experience, their knowledge or opinion. [...]

You get my vote for the strangest post of the year.

No, I am beginning to believe the only way to get rid of the irritation here
is to ignore and not give him what he wants. I think it would be beneficial
if you, Udie and I stop playing on his soapbox. Every time one of us give
him what he wants (attention), then he has an audience. In the r.p.darkroom
newsgroup he started two of the longest threads with as many tangents as
possible in recent history. I was as responsible as anyone.

I recommend the following. It'll only work with discipline and solidarity.
We can answer a post to one of the weirdo's post, but we should strip his
comments out. Only address the comment made by the "non-scar'd" one.

It became obvious to me in a rather simple post over in r.p.film+labs when
someone was having trouble understanding over/under exposure. I answered,
Michael Covington answered and we both said the same thing basically. Nice
to have two corresponding opinions. Three hours later along comes scar, and
says the same thing. Why? Well it dawned on me. He likes seeing his
posts. He likes the attention. We need to pull the soapbox out from under
his feet.

Oh and Udie, I'd rather draw and quarter.

Jim

Jim Phelps is utterly worthless. If you what yo were talking about
you'd still be useless, because you're a prick.
Old October 5th 04, 11:39 PM
Gordon Moat

Most of the knowledge you might have, or be capable of sharing with
others, is lost because you are a bad teacher. If you want respect, you
need to earn it. I am surprised that one could reach such as age as
yours, and never have learned that.

Old October 6th 04, 12:14 AM
Gregory Blank

Gordon Moat wrote:

Most of the knowledge you might have, or be capable of sharing with
others, is lost because you are a bad teacher. If you want respect, you
need to earn it. I am surprised that one could reach such as age as
yours, and never have learned that.

Its really the best policy in this case. Glad to see your here
as well Gordon, "Your knowledge" will be considered an asset to this
group.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 6th 04, 12:21 AM
Udie Lafing

Jim Phelps is utterly worthwhile.

Keep posting Jim!!!
--
?
?
Old October 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Uranium Committee

Gordon Moat wrote in message ...
Most of the knowledge you might have, or be capable of sharing with
others, is lost because you are a bad teacher. If you want respect, you
need to earn it. I am surprised that one could reach such as age as
yours, and never have learned that.

I am an excellent teacher, as a matter of fact, and I have been told
this in so many words.
Old October 6th 04, 06:19 AM
Jim Phelps

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
Jim Phelps wrote:
Thanks for the support. I knew I could count on you all.

Don't you have a Jobo machine? All it takes to process 4x5 in a film tank
is the Jobo film reel 2509N.

Nick

Yup. That's in that list of 'accoutrements'. I bid on some on that auction
site. Guy even had the loader for sale. But, it wasn't in the cards for me
that day. I'll keep looking.